Bullnose Forums

87 460 Carb'ed Towing Build

Glad I listened to you all. It was definitely time for a refresh.

All those years of sitting didn't help the oil. Not sure what the sludge was, but it had filled the pickup screen.

Then the timing chain was way loose. Not sure if it was because of mileage or the nylon gear wearing?

Got everything torn down tonight, got the pistons and rods out. Definitely has some wear, but nothing that can't be polished, honed, or bored out I hope.

I'm shocked the thing still ran. These old motors could take some abuse.

Man, it is a good thing you pulled it out and down. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Sounds like you have a good plan. :nabble_smiley_good:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes to the engine stand. Wasn't risking a 3 legged one or a lighter one. So harbor freights 1 ton stand to the rescue with some grade 8 bolts, overkill I'm sure, but eased my mind on the iron beast.

Do you mean alternator or distributor? I do plan on buying a bracket from L and L plus a set of their headers 😃

I will upgrade to the 3G as mentioned, going to a pull a part tomorrow to look at some new inventory, thinking I can get the wiring for a 3G from a 90's Ford. I'll look and see if they have the fender relay on the fender and a 3 G alternator.

As to the water pump gland, I already got that off by using a line wrench. Something told me it would be fragile.

Doh! I did it again! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Yes, an alternator....

If you are looking at ~'95 vintage trucks you may want to grab the Y shaped starter cable that fits PMGR starters as well.

This is a great upgrade and very clean if you have the factory harness. (just don't use the spade trigger connector down at the starter)

IIRC, the 3G trucks used a megafuse that mounted on the end of a power distribution box (underhood relay and fuse compartment)

While I trust that the power cable Ford used is okay I somehow feel better about a #2 or better charge cable than I do about the #6 or 8 cable that came stock.

Also, be aware that a 3G stock truck will be set up for polygroove belts and that cable length might not be ideal in your application..

As to the water pump gland, I already got that off by using a line wrench. Something told me it would be fragile.

The plastic bushing (packing) inside that nut really needs care!

I'm glad you managed to get it off in one piece.:nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Hopefully the heads you get will have a way to attach the tab.

But if you are changing the alternator mount you might want to eliminate the pipe entirely.

I think my previous photos show the nipple and hose going directly to the water pump.

Doh! I did it again! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Yes, an alternator....

If you are looking at ~'95 vintage trucks you may want to grab the Y shaped starter cable that fits PMGR starters as well.

This is a great upgrade and very clean if you have the factory harness. (just don't use the spade trigger connector down at the starter)

IIRC, the 3G trucks used a megafuse that mounted on the end of a power distribution box (underhood relay and fuse compartment)

While I trust that the power cable Ford used is okay I somehow feel better about a #2 or better charge cable than I do about the #6 or 8 cable that came stock.

Also, be aware that a 3G stock truck will be set up for polygroove belts and that cable length might not be ideal in your application..

Thanks for the info. There are a couple of 94 and 95 trucks on the lot. I do plan to use a PMGR because of my upped compression when I'm done with the engine build and it's size because I'm running headers.

The plastic bushing (packing) inside that nut really needs care!

I'm glad you managed to get it off in one piece.:nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Hopefully the heads you get will have a way to attach the tab.

But if you are changing the alternator mount you might want to eliminate the pipe entirely.

I think my previous photos show the nipple and hose going directly to the water pump.

Jim, the EFI engines did away with that strange heater return pipe.

Jim, the EFI engines did away with that strange heater return pipe.

I know they did Bill.

And I now know that this engine will be wearing the same L&L alternator bracket and 3G setup I have. (avoiding the massive double A.I.R. pump bracket which was the reason for it)

But that pipe could be essential for someone that lives in a state that requires all original emissions components in place. - I know I mailed mine off to California... -

Let me see if I can dig up what I used for a barb adapter back when I changed my water pump. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Ahhh, May 15 2016.... Anderson Metals - 57001-1008 Brass Hose Fitting, Connector, 5/8" Barb x 1/2" Male Pipe https://a.co/d/grFFLqP

I know they did Bill.

And I now know that this engine will be wearing the same L&L alternator bracket and 3G setup I have. (avoiding the massive double A.I.R. pump bracket which was the reason for it)

But that pipe could be essential for someone that lives in a state that requires all original emissions components in place. - I know I mailed mine off to California... -

Let me see if I can dig up what I used for a barb adapter back when I changed my water pump. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Ahhh, May 15 2016.... Anderson Metals - 57001-1008 Brass Hose Fitting, Connector, 5/8" Barb x 1/2" Male Pipe https://a.co/d/grFFLqP

Thanks for the info. I'll likely use the same on mine and eliminate the pipe. Seems unnecessary.

Thanks for the info. I'll likely use the same on mine and eliminate the pipe. Seems unnecessary.

Off to the machine shop on Tuesday. The guy I'm using is highly recommended and seems to know his stuff. I spoke to him for a bit on Friday. Might be a little slow, but doing it right is worth the wait.

Good luck! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig.png

Got the 460 block loaded up on my home made pallet tonight from scrap wood I had in the garage. Turned out pretty good I think. This was the best way I could think to transport it. PXL_20220815_232916183.jpg.17d732c1a35f3cc3d2aed5fb46b75c61.jpg