Bullnose Forums

Concerning Conversation With DB Electrical

Last I looked the Champion 3-row aluminum radiator was available, and my 4-row took the factory shroud perfectly so I'm sure the 3-row would also.

I saw the 3 row from Champion its CC561B, says it cools up to 700hp but its out of stock as well. Thats the same issue I have getting engine parts for my engine build, everything is either out of stock, on back order, or discontinued because they dont know when they will get it back in stock.

So Gary...

Our '87 460 thread banter with Jordan has me looking at the 3G upgrade page and I need to point out some discrepancy when it gets to donor sources under "choosing an alternator"

First, I want to say that all (carb and EFI) 300/4.9 engines should take the 8.25" because of their unique bracket design.

This is what I've seen, and has been shown by others on forums and webpages.

I see you have this questioned in red.

Perhaps David, Larry and Dave can post some pics with a ruler to put this to bed.

Second, you have listings under donor sources and Lester numbers where Taurus/Sable/Windstar 3.0 and 3.8 engines are shown for both 7" and 8.25" spacing.

This is incorrect!

The 3.0 V-6 uses the 7", and the 3.8 uses the 8.25" exclusively.

The first picture under Lester numbers shows the hollowed out and cross braced extended mounting ears indicative of the 8.25" mount.

The second two pics are of the 7" mount (no hollows in the ear)

ETA: as you well know the EFI 7.5l trucks and vans use the 7" mount, so shouldn't be listed with the first (8.25") alternator.

Also, I would try not to include the 10mm untapped hole version of the second model ( 7765, 7770, 7771)

If you use one of these you need to find a much longer 3/8 bolt... and a nut.

It requires you to have three hands to tension, tighten and back up the fastener.

OR! You need a 3/8-16 helicoil kit.

The 8x1.25 mm hole can be easily tapped 3/8-16 and you only need one wrench.

Most any of us that work on these trucks have that tap.

In fact I run it right through the 8mm hole because the alloy is not problematic at all.

Otherwise I want to thank you for all the effort you've put into organizing and updating the page. :nabble_anim_claps: :nabble_anim_jump:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Gary...

Our '87 460 thread banter with Jordan has me looking at the 3G upgrade page and I need to point out some discrepancy when it gets to donor sources under "choosing an alternator"

First, I want to say that all (carb and EFI) 300/4.9 engines should take the 8.25" because of their unique bracket design.

Perhaps David, Larry and Dave can post some pics with a ruler to put this to bed.

Second, you have listings under donor sources and Lester numbers where Taurus/Sable/Windstar 3.0 and 3.8 engines are shown for both 7" and 8.25" spacing.

This is incorrect!

The first picture under Lester numbers shows the hollowed out and cross braced extended mounting ears indicative of the 8.25" mount.

ETA: as you well know the EFI 7.5l trucks and vans use the 7" mount, so shouldn't be listed with the first (8.25") alternator.

Also, I would try not to include the 10mm untapped hole version of the second model ( 7765, 7770, 7771)

It requires you to have three hands to tension, tighten and back up the fastener.

In fact I run it right through the 8mm hole because the alloy is not problematic at all.

Otherwise I want to thank you for all the effort you've put into organizing and updating the page. :nabble_anim_claps: :nabble_anim_jump:

Thanks, Jim. This will help a lot. As said, that tab is a dog's breakfast and is begging to be cleaned up. And you pointed out things I'd not even noticed. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm not sure when I'll get to it given all that is going on, but I will do it.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Jim. This will help a lot. As said, that tab is a dog's breakfast and is begging to be cleaned up. And you pointed out things I'd not even noticed. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'm not sure when I'll get to it given all that is going on, but I will do it.

Thanks again.

I'm sure you're always busy.

This isn't meant to be pressure.

I just wanted to comment/critique while I had the page open in chrome and not visiting the forum through a Gmail link where I can't open multiple tabs and would lose my reply.

So Gary...

This is incorrect!

Now that makes me want to go look up the 3G alternator I am looking at for my swap which is listed for the 1990-93 Taurus 3.8 V6 and what thread the tensioner bolt is on the alternator ear. I dont mind tapping it but I do want to reuse the OE bolt since it has the teeth to bite in and not slip.

So Gary...

This is incorrect!

Now that makes me want to go look up the 3G alternator I am looking at for my swap which is listed for the 1990-93 Taurus 3.8 V6 and what thread the tensioner bolt is on the alternator ear. I dont mind tapping it but I do want to reuse the OE bolt since it has the teeth to bite in and not slip.

Rusty, I use the 1992 3.8l Taurus/Sable alternator in my truck.

It is 8.25" C-C with the 8x1.25mm adjuster tapped out to 3/8-16

Lester #7752

Lester #7752

Well then thats good, now I just need to decide do I drill the threads out larger and install helicoil or just trust the aluminum threads themselves to hold tight rope tension on the single V belt.

Hopefully I dont run into any problems pulling the regulator off for my Motorcraft NOS one, I am looking at the Remy or Delco one on rock auto thats brand new as they are cheaper than the remans from even DB Electrical.

Lester #7752

Well then thats good, now I just need to decide do I drill the threads out larger and install helicoil or just trust the aluminum threads themselves to hold tight rope tension on the single V belt.

Hopefully I dont run into any problems pulling the regulator off for my Motorcraft NOS one, I am looking at the Remy or Delco one on rock auto thats brand new as they are cheaper than the remans from even DB Electrical.

RA buys obsolete inventory by the ton. (literally scrap weight)

The exchange rate and current inflation have sure driven the price up.

I used to get these for ~$75 delivered.

You shouldn't use too much belt tension. It will trash the bearings.

I haven't had any problems with the casting stripping out.

RA buys obsolete inventory by the ton. (literally scrap weight)

The exchange rate and current inflation have sure driven the price up.

I used to get these for ~$75 delivered.

You shouldn't use too much belt tension. It will trash the bearings.

I haven't had any problems with the casting stripping out.

Yes, RA buys obsolete inventory. And some of those parts appear to have been returns. It is so bad that my nephew, the mechanical engineer turned mechanic, will not install parts from RA. He says way too many of them are bad in the box.

I've not had the same experience, but he has and will not even install the part if you bring it to him.

Lester #7752

Jim, there is a spare Taurus one in the trunk of the Lincoln Continental sitting at Pete's in Newport News that I should grab next time I am over there and can get to it.

So Gary...

This is incorrect!

IMG_20220706_205045.jpg.43386d457ec9d184a46d973da66199ce.jpg

Looks like 7" on my alternator. It's the stock 1G. Pretty sure it's the 60A variety since I have factory air.