Bullnose Forums

New Folders? Tools To Loan Or Clone? Projects To Print?

I like the idea of sharing 3D printing files. I have several 3D printers and would love to have a location where files can be added/downloaded. I would certainly contribute any files I develop to them. I know the average person does not have a 3D printer but most library's now have them for public use.

Ok, thanks for the explanation what a Cozy is.

Now, it looks like we are fairly well in agreement that we need a way to share tools and "printing" files. (We can share both 3D printing and cutting files, like for gaskets.) But where should the folders go?

And, what caveats should we put in place? IOW, do you agree with my suggestion that someone must have X posts and Y time on the forum before being able to borrow tools? If so, what are the values for X and Y?

And, what caveats should we put in place? IOW, do you agree with my suggestion that someone must have X posts and Y time on the forum before being able to borrow tools? If so, what are the values for X and Y?

My opinion would be, it's at the discretion of the owner of the tool. If the tools cost hundreds of dollars, then I'd be a lot more particular about who I loaned it to. If it's some steel stock and a little welding, I'm more willing to risk that. One way to mitigate that risk would be to get the borrower to send you the money for the shipment before actually shipping it, but again that's all up to the lender.

If someone joins up here and is asking for help, then I'd take a chance and help them with any of my (admittedly inexpensive) tools. I'd hate to tell someone they have to wait 6 months to borrow a needed tool because they haven't been on the forum long enough.

Of course, that all works well in the lend-and-get-back scenario. If it's the lend-then-forward scenario, the original owner stands a lot more of a chance of never getting the tool back, and not being on control of who it is sent to.

Bottom line, I think those types of restrictions would wind up unenforceable. Suppose I decided to take a chance and loan one of my tools to someone who did not meet the criteria? Would I then be punished somehow? I see it as self-enforcing. If I decide to loan it to someone and I don't get it back, well, I've paid the price. I would hope in that scenario I would then be allowed to post a warning about loaning tools to that person, however.

My opinion would be, it's at the discretion of the owner of the tool. If the tools cost hundreds of dollars, then I'd be a lot more particular about who I loaned it to. If it's some steel stock and a little welding, I'm more willing to risk that. One way to mitigate that risk would be to get the borrower to send you the money for the shipment before actually shipping it, but again that's all up to the lender.

If someone joins up here and is asking for help, then I'd take a chance and help them with any of my (admittedly inexpensive) tools. I'd hate to tell someone they have to wait 6 months to borrow a needed tool because they haven't been on the forum long enough.

Of course, that all works well in the lend-and-get-back scenario. If it's the lend-then-forward scenario, the original owner stands a lot more of a chance of never getting the tool back, and not being on control of who it is sent to.

Bottom line, I think those types of restrictions would wind up unenforceable. Suppose I decided to take a chance and loan one of my tools to someone who did not meet the criteria? Would I then be punished somehow? I see it as self-enforcing. If I decide to loan it to someone and I don't get it back, well, I've paid the price. I would hope in that scenario I would then be allowed to post a warning about loaning tools to that person, however.

The warning to others would need to be some sort of sticky and all of the admins need to be made aware via email. On two of the Chrysler forums I'm on, a minimum # of posts are required before you can buy or sell on there. I just bought a set of Venolia pistons for what is called a "hybrid 2.5L" they are made to fit the 2.4L DOHC head installed on a 2.5L block.

When I expressed and interest, one of the moderators sent me a PM on the seller that he was a relative unknown and to be careful. The seller originally said he took Venmo for payment, I told him I didn't use that one, but did use PayPal or Google Wallet. He replied he would take Paypal.

PayPal, if you use it the way they recommend you are protected against scammers. Money was sent, package arrived yesterday, pistons are new, with pins and spiral retainers and he also sent 4 of the turbo II floating wrist pin rods.

Only problem, and not his fault, the wrist pins are 0.927" OD and the bushings in the rods are 0.915" ID. The bushings match Chrysler's spec for a 0.9009 OD wrist pin. I will have to either hone or ream the bushings or have it done. Unfortunately there are no automotive machine shops over here.

The warning to others would need to be some sort of sticky and all of the admins need to be made aware via email.

I'm sure Gary's going to love me for this suggestion and the work it entails, but how difficult would it be to create a small database of tools and transactions? Potential elements in the table:

Tool identifier

Tool owner user ID

Borrowed by user ID

Borrowed date

Returned date

Then people could look and see if someone had been a borrower before. Of course there's still the problem of the first borrow. Also not sure how this table would get maintained. That can't be a free-for-all, because the dishonest borrower could just go in and update the Returned Date, when in fact they had not returned it.

Might not be a feasible idea. But it might spawn some other more feasible ideas.

Pete - I agree that it is up to the loaner. But I think it would be good to have guidelines so Joe Blow doesn't join just to borrow a tool and then vamoose. IOW, I don't want people to join just so they can borrow a tool. And I think some would.

So I'm suggesting that we have a guideline to ward off those folks. Not that you couldn't loan to them, but I just want to set their expectations. Yes?

The warning to others would need to be some sort of sticky and all of the admins need to be made aware via email.

I'm sure Gary's going to love me for this suggestion and the work it entails, but how difficult would it be to create a small database of tools and transactions? Potential elements in the table:

Tool identifier

Tool owner user ID

Borrowed by user ID

Borrowed date

Returned date

Then people could look and see if someone had been a borrower before. Of course there's still the problem of the first borrow. Also not sure how this table would get maintained. That can't be a free-for-all, because the dishonest borrower could just go in and update the Returned Date, when in fact they had not returned it.

Might not be a feasible idea. But it might spawn some other more feasible ideas.

This looks like a lot of WORK! (Quoting Maynard G.)

Do we need to do that? I'd need someones, plural, to sign up to run the "tool crib". I was hoping we could keep this simple, but...

Tool identifier

Tool owner user ID

Borrowed by user ID

Borrowed date

Returned date

This looks like a lot of WORK! (Quoting Maynard G.)

Do we need to do that? I'd need someones, plural, to sign up to run the "tool crib". I was hoping we could keep this simple, but...

I am also on another non auto forum, (CMP's) and we loan tools out to fellow members. As far as I know, there has never been a problem but as we all know, the world is a changing. Most of us to ask that the borrow pays shipping. Maybe add the location so if someone is close and need a tool they know where to go. This is my first rodeo and I am not even sure what I will need. LOL but UTUBE is my friend. What I have purchase or made, will gladly share.

No, realistically we don't need that. If we need to keep track of things, a spreadsheet on someone's computer would do it just fine. I'd be glad to keep that spreadsheet, but how would I be kept informed of any borrowing and returning going on?

If we even need to go that far, and I'm not sure we do. It's mostly between the borrower and the lender, after all. It could be entirely up to the lender to keep track of his stuff.

Just throwing ideas against the wall to see what sticks. :nabble_smiley_beam: