Bullnose Forums

Engine Sludge

It has taken a ton of time and effort but after 1 round of cleaning this is what it looks like. I started with the putty knife then moved to a degreaser. After that, about 3 cans of Brake Cleaner. All the while using a small steel wire brush and a shop vac. My question now is, how clean should I be aiming for? I feel like it is unrealistic to think I'm going to get it all with all those nooks and crannies. FYI, I used ear plugs to plug up the drain holes. They worked well and should minimize contamination in the oil pan. When I'm done cleaning, I'll drop the oil pan to clean it out well too. 20220628_121236.jpg.ad92ffbf41c38b3b5077b57af73668c4.jpg20220628_121232.jpg.b529e0ec05736b6d4bd47dc331fa8d15.jpg20220628_121225.jpg.03bbec533deccca6e89a06413ed10df1.jpg20220628_121218.jpg.9c68a8c7b23f3ad14c4f76ab66e622e1.jpg

It has taken a ton of time and effort but after 1 round of cleaning this is what it looks like. I started with the putty knife then moved to a degreaser. After that, about 3 cans of Brake Cleaner. All the while using a small steel wire brush and a shop vac. My question now is, how clean should I be aiming for? I feel like it is unrealistic to think I'm going to get it all with all those nooks and crannies. FYI, I used ear plugs to plug up the drain holes. They worked well and should minimize contamination in the oil pan. When I'm done cleaning, I'll drop the oil pan to clean it out well too.

I think you've done really well. It is unrealistic to expect to get everything, and it is really unnecessary to get it that clean.

I think you've done really well. It is unrealistic to expect to get everything, and it is really unnecessary to get it that clean.

perfection is not really the point, but oil flow is. the fewer bits there are to clog the pickup screen the better. and then routinely using a good detergent oil should help too. keep in mind that the bearings may already be a little compromised from the poor oil so don't go shifting at 6500. haha.

perfection is not really the point, but oil flow is. the fewer bits there are to clog the pickup screen the better. and then routinely using a good detergent oil should help too. keep in mind that the bearings may already be a little compromised from the poor oil so don't go shifting at 6500. haha.

WOWis all I can say on the before pictures :nabble_smiley_oh:

If you are going to pull the oil pan why use ear plugs to plug the drain back holes?

I know with the price of gas you dont want to use it but if there was something like it you could use.

I would drain the oil leave the plug out and using gas pour it over the head to wash anything there down into the pan and out.

It will also break up anything in the pan and wash it out.

You could then filter what came out and pour it back over the head and lifter area till they car clean.

Then drop the oil pan.

The other thing I would do is pull each push rod and make sure they are clean and can pass oil up to the rockers. Now the lifters could be plugged but you will know the push rods are clean.

Dave ----

If you are going to pull the oil pan why use ear plugs to plug the drain back holes?

I know with the price of gas you dont want to use it but if there was something like it you could use.

I would drain the oil leave the plug out and using gas pour it over the head to wash anything there down into the pan and out.

You could then filter what came out and pour it back over the head and lifter area till they car clean.

Then drop the oil pan.

The other thing I would do is pull each push rod and make sure they are clean and can pass oil up to the rockers. Now the lifters could be plugged but you will know the push rods are clean.

Dave ----

great point about the pushrods. the lifters could be a worry too but here we go down that rabbit hole.

Then drop the oil pan.

Dave ----

Good idea with the gas flushing the system. I've heard old timers say they would clean engines with kerosene. I have some of that laying around that I'd be willing to part with. Could I use that to flush it?

Good idea with the gas flushing the system. I've heard old timers say they would clean engines with kerosene. I have some of that laying around that I'd be willing to part with. Could I use that to flush it?

You can use kerosene, but as it isn't as thin/volatile as gasoline it won't cut the crud loose quite as well. However, at the price of gas and if you have some kerosene then it would be worth a try. It sure can't hurt anything.

You can use kerosene, but as it isn't as thin/volatile as gasoline it won't cut the crud loose quite as well. However, at the price of gas and if you have some kerosene then it would be worth a try. It sure can't hurt anything.

I have a buddy who swears by starting fluid to clean engine blocks. He warned me to wear a mask for the fumes if I ever do it.

I have a buddy who swears by starting fluid to clean engine blocks. He warned me to wear a mask for the fumes if I ever do it.

I believe that about starting fluid. It'll take the chrome off a trailer hitch!

That the engine was running at all with that muddy sludge is a testament to the stoutness of the 300!