Bullnose Forums

Master Cylinder Upgrade Part Numbers

I think the good news easily outweighs the bad news. Congrat's! :nabble_anim_claps:

I still need to drive home yet... :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

So no jinxing! :nabble_smiley_wink:

The pedal feel did improve after fixing the leak... so maybe the old MC was indeed dead? Hard to say... :nabble_anim_crazy:

On the plus side, the switch alerted me to the issue before the MC ran dry (still had 1/4 a tank of fluid). Which is way better than the old setup which seems to be more of a "you lost your brakes, prepare to die!" light. When I bought the truck the rear brakes were dry (due to a bad MC) and the warning light wasn't lit. Not a very effective setup?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still need to drive home yet... :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

So no jinxing! :nabble_smiley_wink:

The pedal feel did improve after fixing the leak... so maybe the old MC was indeed dead? Hard to say... :nabble_anim_crazy:

On the plus side, the switch alerted me to the issue before the MC ran dry (still had 1/4 a tank of fluid). Which is way better than the old setup which seems to be more of a "you lost your brakes, prepare to die!" light. When I bought the truck the rear brakes were dry (due to a bad MC) and the warning light wasn't lit. Not a very effective setup?

Ok, no jinxing. I'll just pray for you.

My MC doesn't have that switch - maybe it should. Glad it worked to alert you. Be safe.

Ok, no jinxing. I'll just pray for you.

My MC doesn't have that switch - maybe it should. Glad it worked to alert you. Be safe.

Made it home. No leak.

I do have my crudely rebuilt switch sitting... Or any mechanical or solid state NO reed switch shoved under the float will suffice to pick up the float magnet.

Made it home. No leak.

I do have my crudely rebuilt switch sitting... Or any mechanical or solid state NO reed switch shoved under the float will suffice to pick up the float magnet.

I don't think mine has a float, but can you show a pic of that?

And glad you made it home and have no leaks. :nabble_smiley_good:

I don't think mine has a float, but can you show a pic of that?

And glad you made it home and have no leaks. :nabble_smiley_good:

Will do over lunch break. For now, I'll say it's a white plastic/foam disc in the center of the resivor (directly under the cap). Was your MC (or the reservoir at least) an old OEM one? I don't know if the earliest ones (bricknose?) had them... but the service part industry has merged all of them to one part number which has the float and switch.

Will do over lunch break. For now, I'll say it's a white plastic/foam disc in the center of the resivor (directly under the cap). Was your MC (or the reservoir at least) an old OEM one? I don't know if the earliest ones (bricknose?) had them... but the service part industry has merged all of them to one part number which has the float and switch.

Yes, my MC is an OEM one and doesn't have a float in it.

Ah.

You'd have to upgrade to a new(er) reservoir to have a switch. Which I have one of on the dead JY master cylinder. If you want it, it's yours (or I'll bring in September).

Thanks, but my MC is bigger - for an F450. Does the reservoir swap? And wouldn't it be smaller?

Thanks, but my MC is bigger - for an F450. Does the reservoir swap? And wouldn't it be smaller?

Assuming you mean the 1999-2004 F450 Super Duty (which is the oldest F450 I'm seeing on RA), it's a bit different. And the level switch has a different connector.

Here's the RA picture of one (Wagner, what I could find that shows the connector):

MWG_MC140682_P04_TOP__ra_p.jpg.9db72d9bdec7c6986ff1bfee19b9cd97.jpg

From what I am seeing, All Bricknose and Aeronose MC's used the same reservoir; there were a few versions used (likely differing in bore size more than anything) but the reservoir was the same.

EDIT- Looked at the 2005 F450, those MC's indeed have no level switch... maybe that's what you have?

Assuming you mean the 1999-2004 F450 Super Duty (which is the oldest F450 I'm seeing on RA), it's a bit different. And the level switch has a different connector.

Here's the RA picture of one (Wagner, what I could find that shows the connector):

From what I am seeing, All Bricknose and Aeronose MC's used the same reservoir; there were a few versions used (likely differing in bore size more than anything) but the reservoir was the same.

EDIT- Looked at the 2005 F450, those MC's indeed have no level switch... maybe that's what you have?

This is a 1995 F-450. (AKA Super Duty) not the 1999--> Superduty.

I think it may be a unique item due to the fact the truck has rear discs and Hydro Boost.

Let me look at a few vendors for a p/n

Edit: I see the following... E8TZ-2140-A, F4TZ-2140-D