Bullnose Forums

Non Ford not even 4 wheels! Honda GL650i Silver Wing Interstate

FuzzFace2

Wow that is a nice looking bike.

Funny I was looking at motorcycles this spring too, think it must be the price of gas.

I had always liked the Honda CX and GL motorcycles and ended up finding a deal

I couldn't ignore also.

It is a CX500 with about 20,000 miles on it. The guy I bought it from was one of those guys

that I judge to be totally honest and who is meticulous in how they look after things.

I paid a few hundred more but the bike had new tires, new updated ignition, rebuilt forks,

new battery etc.

I am not a long distance rider at all but just wanted something for quick runs to town etc.

Nice looking bike.

If the bikes have some up to date work done to them then I can see paying a little more for it.

I dont know if you know of this web site for the CX & GL bikes https://www.cx500forum.com/

It has a lot of good information and guys that will help with issues like the guys on here.

Wife is going to the NJ shore for the weekend, girls weekend.

So I am left to take care of the fur kids (5 cats ours, 1 foster cat & 3 kittens and 2 dogs) so I hope to get some seat time in.

Dave ----

Nice looking bike.

If the bikes have some up to date work done to them then I can see paying a little more for it.

I dont know if you know of this web site for the CX & GL bikes https://www.cx500forum.com/

It has a lot of good information and guys that will help with issues like the guys on here.

Wife is going to the NJ shore for the weekend, girls weekend.

So I am left to take care of the fur kids (5 cats ours, 1 foster cat & 3 kittens and 2 dogs) so I hope to get some seat time in.

Dave ----

There is tons of info on the web about these bikes. They seem very popular with the cafe racer guys.

I have seen the 500cx site and another great site is https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/rob/.

There are also a couple of very detailed rebuilds on youtube.

The bikes were very popular in the UK with the despatch riders which speaks well for their durability.

From what I can tell the only really problem areas are the timing chain, the water pump mechanical seal

and the alternator stator, all of which are very fixable. Apparently on the earlier bikes like mine the CDI units

are failing as they age. The guy I bought it from had already done the hall effect ignition upgrade. I don't think

that this was an issue with the 650s.

That's a lot of pets to look after, hope you get a chance to go for a ride.

Here in Manitoba vehicles have to pass an inspection when transferring ownership so I have to take the

bike in for that. I hope to get that done in the next week or two. I had to build up the steering stop on one

side as the handlebars just touched the tank on full lock - that would have been a fail. Other than that

everything checks out great to my old eye.

Have fun and ride safe.

There is tons of info on the web about these bikes. They seem very popular with the cafe racer guys.

I have seen the 500cx site and another great site is https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/rob/.

There are also a couple of very detailed rebuilds on youtube.

The bikes were very popular in the UK with the despatch riders which speaks well for their durability.

From what I can tell the only really problem areas are the timing chain, the water pump mechanical seal

and the alternator stator, all of which are very fixable. Apparently on the earlier bikes like mine the CDI units

are failing as they age. The guy I bought it from had already done the hall effect ignition upgrade. I don't think

that this was an issue with the 650s.

That's a lot of pets to look after, hope you get a chance to go for a ride.

Here in Manitoba vehicles have to pass an inspection when transferring ownership so I have to take the

bike in for that. I hope to get that done in the next week or two. I had to build up the steering stop on one

side as the handlebars just touched the tank on full lock - that would have been a fail. Other than that

everything checks out great to my old eye.

Have fun and ride safe.

Like anything the later bikes did not have most of the problems the early ones did like the water pump seal & timing chain.

IIRC your cooling fan is run by the cam dose it also run the water pump?

I have not looked that deep into the pump seal as it dose not seam to be that big a deal on mine and they upgraded the chain area too.

I have seen where guys like to make the cafe racers out of them and that UK liked them for dispatch.

Here if cars / trucks / bikes are over 25 years old they dont need to be inspected.

Other than the rear brake pedal having to much movement, just needed to adjust it and the shoes still have a lot of meat left.

The front blower stopped working on my 02 Durango today, read no front AC and it was 97*f, so may take the bike to work tomorrow or the pick up.

As for the ride this weekend I may paint the small bathroom while the wife is away.

Back around the first of the year I wanted to paint it then and the wife said she would get someone to do it. It had been needing it for 6 months then and it been another 6 months and I want it done!

Being small I hope to get it done in 1 day and ride the next but you know how that works out LOL

Dave ----

Like anything the later bikes did not have most of the problems the early ones did like the water pump seal & timing chain.

IIRC your cooling fan is run by the cam dose it also run the water pump?

I have not looked that deep into the pump seal as it dose not seam to be that big a deal on mine and they upgraded the chain area too.

I have seen where guys like to make the cafe racers out of them and that UK liked them for dispatch.

Here if cars / trucks / bikes are over 25 years old they dont need to be inspected.

Other than the rear brake pedal having to much movement, just needed to adjust it and the shoes still have a lot of meat left.

The front blower stopped working on my 02 Durango today, read no front AC and it was 97*f, so may take the bike to work tomorrow or the pick up.

As for the ride this weekend I may paint the small bathroom while the wife is away.

Back around the first of the year I wanted to paint it then and the wife said she would get someone to do it. It had been needing it for 6 months then and it been another 6 months and I want it done!

Being small I hope to get it done in 1 day and ride the next but you know how that works out LOL

Dave ----

Yesterday after my monthly eye injection and a little rest I took the bike out for a little spin.

Put 100 miles on it. First 40 miles when I came to stop lights I could smell gas?

At 50 miles I stopped to talk to someone and no more smell or any leaks that I could see.

The 50 mile ride home no smell either.

Bike ran great, got it up to 80 MPH once as a test, but most was 50 to 60 MPH with stop lights here & there.

On the way home was rush hour and had more time at stop lights so I turned on the radio, works pretty good too!

I may take it to work a few times next week.

Got to be cheaper than any of the trucks I have with gas at $4.70 a gallon here now.

Dave ----