Bullnose Forums

Do late 70's and 80's era coils require ballast resistor?

That wiring should work nicely. But is the push button on the dash for the starter original? If so I think I'd leave it. If not, I'd do as you said and use a later switch with start included.

Hey Gary,

Yes the push button start is original. The ignition switch is really just a power switch. I was thinking of converting it to a later style dash ignition switch, like from a first gen Bronco or a pickup mainly for simplicity, but since I have modified the original steering column, I no longer have a horn, so I was thinking of converting the starter push button to a horn button.

We'll see. I'll see how it all looks when I start chopping the original wiring away...

Yes, that would work nicely. The original start push button would probably look "factory" but would serve well for the horn. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jeff - That drawing makes it look like the resistance wire is easily seen. But it isn't. Somewhere we have a discussion about it and, IIRC, a picture of where it is. However, I can't find it. But I can tell you that it runs in the harness within the dash and is not easily gotten to.

I'm pretty sure it was our British member Matt mentioning that he found the wiring hot up inside the dash. ("Dash on fire" or something like that)

IIRC I suggested an IR thermometer or a FLIR camera to narrow down the problem.

The thick pink wire was located up by the A pillar.

Edit: here it is. https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Pre-Emptive-FIRE-tp58908.html

20200502_210534.jpg.b73b8bc2508d43b1a5c8bc50a345c138.jpg

20200503_150307.jpg.4f70614b8dd7e5e3496285b27e201a5a.jpg

I'm pretty sure it was our British member Matt mentioning that he found the wiring hot up inside the dash. ("Dash on fire" or something like that)

IIRC I suggested an IR thermometer or a FLIR camera to narrow down the problem.

The thick pink wire was located up by the A pillar.

Edit: here it is. https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Pre-Emptive-FIRE-tp58908.html

Good job, Jim! Yes, I thought it was Matt, but even then I couldn't find it. Well done!