Bullnose Forums

Step Bars

I'm thinking I want more of an old school look. I'll bring them up a little and tuck them in with just enough space to get a foot on.

Don't you have a set on your truck, Scott?

I have the DeeZee treadplate running boards.

The truck had them on it originally (I found a NOS set of the same model) running all the way from front wheel to rear. I didn't care for the look of the ones on the bed so just did the cab ones.

I can appreciate the old school/period correct approach :nabble_smiley_good:

While not truly 80-86 and and not sure if they'd count as an old school look, have you thought about the later year style (Lunds) that hugs the rocker panel?

I've heard they rust out so not sure how plentiful they are.

6f086c9a_9d6c_41cc_a460_bda64d042b11_6b1f542a51491c7c9c14f88744f9b4b8c6d1cb96.jpeg.83c9c7cf87a6d262c0407031a523f6e0.jpeg

Nice that there are a few options to fit the look one wants. Not only driver preference but also what goes best with the truck config/stance.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the DeeZee treadplate running boards.

The truck had them on it originally (I found a NOS set of the same model) running all the way from front wheel to rear. I didn't care for the look of the ones on the bed so just did the cab ones.

I can appreciate the old school/period correct approach :nabble_smiley_good:

While not truly 80-86 and and not sure if they'd count as an old school look, have you thought about the later year style (Lunds) that hugs the rocker panel?

I've heard they rust out so not sure how plentiful they are.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n119224/6f086c9a_9d6c_41cc_a460_bda64d042b11_6b1f542a51491c7c9c14f88744f9b4b8c6d1cb96.jpeg

Nice that there are a few options to fit the look one wants. Not only driver preference but also what goes best with the truck config/stance.

I dont think you will find Lund's or Ford factory ones from what I have found.

Now there was someone that started making them but the (other) forum was starting to get into it about the person selling them had to be a sponsor and that was going to be $$$$ so I dont know what will become of it?

Here is a link to them. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1684289-here-they-are-i-said-i-would-build-them-and-i-did-fiberglass-steps-for-f150.html

Now the other thing to note this is only for the fiber glass step and not the brackets needed to mount them.

I think it was posted that DC or JBG has the brackets but they are not cheap.

Some said they could make the brackets out of iron but needed the steps.

In that same area there was a post on the brackets if you want to do a search.

Dave ----

• 2 weeks later...

I bought these Westin 23-0530's off eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164322116674

Those were for an '81 F-250 but it fits a wide range so it might fit yours. One thing I liked about this it was it was a bolt-on - no drilling or other mods. They use two existing factory bolt holes and bolts (with threaded couplers).

No matter what you get I'd agree it makes a huge difference on getting in!

Thanks for posting about these side bars! Just what I'm looking for!

Thanks for posting about these side bars! Just what I'm looking for!

I actually have a set of the Westin no-drill in polished finished brand new in the box if someone is looking. Wouldn't fit with my fenderwell exhaust so I have no use for them.

I actually have a set of the Westin no-drill in polished finished brand new in the box if someone is looking. Wouldn't fit with my fenderwell exhaust so I have no use for them.

Dang, I bought a pair of Westin bars before I saw your post, Beefy! Sorry about that.

Do I remove the nut that holds the cab on before threading on the connecting nut from the kit? The instructions don't say - but there aren't many threads to bite into with that factory nut on.

mount.thumb.jpg.e61fc1ba4224bd21e30bf419c5bae637.jpg

Dang, I bought a pair of Westin bars before I saw your post, Beefy! Sorry about that.

Do I remove the nut that holds the cab on before threading on the connecting nut from the kit? The instructions don't say - but there aren't many threads to bite into with that factory nut on.

I haven't installed those step bars, but I don't think you should remove the original nut as it is welded to that large washer. Unless the step bars came with their own large washer.

I haven't installed those step bars, but I don't think you should remove the original nut as it is welded to that large washer. Unless the step bars came with their own large washer.

Sidebar.jpg.761270adb36d7b2bea5059b464e35a3c.jpg

Exactly right, Gary! I emailed their customer support and got a quick answer saying the same thing.

Besides, it appeared to me the nut is swedged or somehow fixed on that bolt and I'd have had to use air impact to remove it, if then.

I'm really impressed with the quality, ease of install and looks of these Westins.

Exactly right, Gary! I emailed their customer support and got a quick answer saying the same thing.

Besides, it appeared to me the nut is swedged or somehow fixed on that bolt and I'd have had to use air impact to remove it, if then.

I'm really impressed with the quality, ease of install and looks of these Westins.

Those do look good. :nabble_smiley_good:

Are they solid?

Not solid but they are stainless and stout! I'm 6'5" and around 235 and it holds me fine.

After I posted that I was afraid you'd read "solid" the wrong way. I knew that the steps are tubes, but I was really asking if the mounts are stout, and you answered that.

Anyway, glad it worked out!