Bullnose Forums

Complete Brake System Replacement

Gentlemen,

I happened to see a brake flaring tool on sale today, and it reminded me that replacing all of my lines, etc is on the to-do list for this coming winter. My master cylinder is rusted all to snot, and the fluid in it is black and brown...lol. The brakes are working fine however...I've just had my fingers crossed that they'd last all of the 2018 season so I can tackle them in the off-season;). It's one of those things...as soon as I touch it, it's going to snowball into a full replacement, so I've been avoiding doing it in the summer.

Any words from the wise on this project?

You guys just buy steel line in bulk, and then bend to fit, flare it (double flare?), etc? Any recommended brands or types for the booster and master cylinder? Any recommended upgrades?

I haven't done a full swap myself.  Just bits and pieces.  The Master Cylinder and Brake Booster I got from O'Reilly's.  From the filter to the engine I replaced all the metal lines with fuel rated hose.  I ended up putting the fuel filter in the engine bay for easier swap out later on.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 4:43 PM, Rembrant [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Use the nickel/copper line in place of steel. It is easier to bend properly and will not rust.

The nickel/copper stuff is what I've been told to use. Haven't done it, but bought some stainless pre-bent stuff and had to re-bend every piece so won't do that again.

The nickel/copper stuff is what I've been told to use. Haven't done it, but bought some stainless pre-bent stuff and had to re-bend every piece so won't do that again.

I'll check out the nickel/copper stuff. I didn't even know it was available, so the thought never crossed my mind. This is why I asked.

I'll check out the nickel/copper stuff. I didn't even know it was available, so the thought never crossed my mind. This is why I asked.

I wasn't aware of it either. Here's an example of it on Amazon. Note the reviews - 93% 5's.

I wasn't aware of it either. Here's an example of it on Amazon. Note the reviews - 93% 5's.

Gary, do you have a parts/supplies section within your website for products like on this link you posted?

I am not a fan of stainless brake lines. They are hardtop re-bend if need be and the big one, they are hard to seal at the fittings no matter how tight you get them.

Who did you get the pre-bent lines from? 2 that I know of is Inline Tube and think the other is Fine line.

Dave ----

I am not a fan of stainless brake lines. They are hardtop re-bend if need be and the big one, they are hard to seal at the fittings no matter how tight you get them.

Who did you get the pre-bent lines from? 2 that I know of is Inline Tube and think the other is Fine line.

Dave ----

Vinny - We have the Resources folder, and within it there's one on Brakes. Those are folders that carry links to other websites, and we could put a link in there to Amazon for the tubing. Is that what you mean?

Dave - Mine are Inline Tube, and I won't buy from them again. The tubes weren't even close to being bent properly, and on of the fittings was the wrong size. The guy I talked to said they are really a GM vendor, and they don't know much about Fords. I guess not!

I hope mine seal ok, but if not I'll replace them with nickle/copper.

Gary, do you have a parts/supplies section within your website for products like on this link you posted?

Hey Vinny,

Are you on the island this time of year? I just got back from NL last week....well, I was offshore, so I wasn't actually on the island very long, but I passed through. I made a quick trip down to Mobile to visit a dog breeder/friend of ours, but otherwise I was in and out.

I'm saving the nickel/copper brake line link for ordering this fall. I'm going to re-do all of the brake lines and fuel lines, tank, etc...but leaving it for the winter when I take the box off the frame. If any one part of the system fails between now and then, the truck may be getting parked early;).