Bullnose Forums

Scraping noise when pushing clutch after starter swap.

I think the clutch switch appeared in '84. I know that Dad's truck didn't have one and one doesn't show in the '81 EVTM. But it does show in the '85 EVTM. And IIRC, it showed first in '84 so an '83 probably doesn't have one.

'83 would still be a mechanical clutch for all but the 6.9 and 7.5, no??

Could you crank these trucks in gear?

I'm just trying to understand what is meant by "metal scraping noise when the clutch is depressed" (throw out bearing?)

Why that would leave the truck stuck on the road, and how that could cause noise from the starter.

This seems to be a re-manned engine.

While we'd all like to think it was assembled well, if the center main journal got wiped on the side it would allow the flywheel to move forward.

( Deleted for adding to the confusion)

It being stuck is completely unrelated, its been having issues staying running which is its own thread. Its a blueprint 306 that didn't have this issue with the old starter. It makes no noise starting with the clutch pedal released and in neutral, that's how I usually start it.

It being stuck is completely unrelated, its been having issues staying running which is its own thread. Its a blueprint 306 that didn't have this issue with the old starter. It makes no noise starting with the clutch pedal released and in neutral, that's how I usually start it.

The noise lessened greatly after a minute or so. I can do some tests tomorrow though. And yeah its a mechanical clutch.

Your 5 second YouTube video does seem like the Z-bar or linkage needs some grease.

I can't say that I've ever heard a throwout bearing sound quite like that.

Usually a throwout will rasp or hiss and then you can hear it spinning down in speed when you release the clutch.

The clip you recorded is definitely straight metal on metal.

This was my first time trying long tube headers and it will also be my last.

I feel your pain. Had to pull the headers on my Bronco to change the starter, the new starter from Autozone was way smaller and I think would just clear the headers..

Sorry, no useful input on your actual issue..

"Hard to start when hot" is classic headers cooking the starter.

Have you tried installing a heat shield?

81tkulh61tL.jpg.3cf922297cfa8503af207d8bbb9235da.jpg

Yes, 83 should be mechanical on a 351W and you should be able to crank it in gear.

my 83 f100 did not have a switch but I don't remember the years and configurations that did or did not. I mostly build autos and they have neutral safety. but if it does not make any noise while just starting in neutral then I don't see how it can be the starter.

my 83 f100 did not have a switch but I don't remember the years and configurations that did or did not. I mostly build autos and they have neutral safety. but if it does not make any noise while just starting in neutral then I don't see how it can be the starter.

Yeah its silent when starting in neutral. It only makes noise when the clutch pedal is pushed in. Its just strange because I'd never heard a peep out of it before the starter went, so its one hell of a coincidence if it's unrelated.

Yeah its silent when starting in neutral. It only makes noise when the clutch pedal is pushed in. Its just strange because I'd never heard a peep out of it before the starter went, so its one hell of a coincidence if it's unrelated.

how about when you let off the clutch after it starts? does it go away then?