Bullnose Forums

Radiator Support-Bullnose from Bricknose?

Hi,

I looked around didn't find an answer, however that maybe the answer anyway, but I'll ask anyway.

Does a Radiator support from a 87-91 fit on a 80-86? I'd really rather not get into too much modification, otherwise I'll just work on repairing mine. The aftermarket places I've ordered parts from and been satisfied with in the past, are all out and will not back order them.

Open to suggestions

I'm assuming that yours is rusted out in front of the battery at the bottom. I just repaired one for that reason and I usually do when restoring a truck. however, if you are not restoring one then it's a big job to get it out but I guess if you are considering swapping one then the job is the same. the only issue is getting the correct gauge sheet to make the repairs and being able to weld sheet well. the structural mount at the bottom is a heavier gauge than the surrounding areas and they are layered there also. metal surgery! if doing a resto. but if just patching then some angle iron and plug welds could be done. removing the core support mounts can prove to be finicky and it's the right time to replace them also as they are probably going to need to be cut out

I'm assuming that yours is rusted out in front of the battery at the bottom. I just repaired one for that reason and I usually do when restoring a truck. however, if you are not restoring one then it's a big job to get it out but I guess if you are considering swapping one then the job is the same. the only issue is getting the correct gauge sheet to make the repairs and being able to weld sheet well. the structural mount at the bottom is a heavier gauge than the surrounding areas and they are layered there also. metal surgery! if doing a resto. but if just patching then some angle iron and plug welds could be done. removing the core support mounts can prove to be finicky and it's the right time to replace them also as they are probably going to need to be cut out

I'm sorry. I did not answer your question. no, they are not the same! the bullnose has the headlight and headlight door mounts as the headlights actually are mounted to and adjust at the core support whereas the brick has the first generation of headlamp/body panel type lenses with integral adjuster.

The aftermarket places I've ordered parts from and been satisfied with in the past, are all out and will not back order them.

It’s completely crazy how everything is back order these days!

:nabble_anim_crazy:

I work for a hospital, and it's insane how many things are on backorder. It drives me insane trying to find out why our stuff didn't come in, and then having to have my resource manager find substitues, only to find that the substitutes are usually on backorder too.

I'm going to say that the radiator mounts differently as well.

A Bricknose radiator attaches directly to the back of the upper radiator support with a 6x1 screw and flange washer on either side,.and the lower mounting shoulders would need a different isolator. (Gary just posted some good pics of his aftermarket Champion in big blue's thread)

It is definitely worthwhile (long term) to switch over to the braced Bricknose battery tray that fits above the fender liner, IF your tray is rotted out from wheel splash.

The later tray and brace were available from LMC last I checked.

I'm going to say that the radiator mounts differently as well.

A Bricknose radiator attaches directly to the back of the upper radiator support with a 6x1 screw and flange washer on either side,.and the lower mounting shoulders would need a different isolator. (Gary just posted some good pics of his aftermarket Champion in big blue's thread)

It is definitely worthwhile (long term) to switch over to the braced Bricknose battery tray that fits above the fender liner, IF your tray is rotted out from wheel splash.

The later tray and brace were available from LMC last I checked.

Like Mat above, I have rebuilt the bottoms of a couple Bullnose core supports. You can bend up some 16ga sheet metal in the Vise and bolt it in place. Works great. Bend up a "saddle" for the bottom, and then bolt it higher up where you have good strong metal.

IMG_3230.jpg.c70a7091a5c82cd803a776bc3b5c5698.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg.32b0d04a7216766c3c3dfad481c4e149.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg.889dc143e6de9060f3ec230fd8c298b3.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg.517d0a411b5a7c458c70aa4a959c7f89.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg.706755d848b14b84949266b7ced505bb.jpg

I also made lower brackets to hold the 1985-1996 style radiator as well. The original 1980-1984 Bullnose style radiators have been hard to find for a couple years now.

Like Mat above, I have rebuilt the bottoms of a couple Bullnose core supports. You can bend up some 16ga sheet metal in the Vise and bolt it in place. Works great. Bend up a "saddle" for the bottom, and then bolt it higher up where you have good strong metal.

I also made lower brackets to hold the 1985-1996 style radiator as well. The original 1980-1984 Bullnose style radiators have been hard to find for a couple years now.

good pictures. that shows the fitment well. I'm not the best at posting pics and unfortunately, I feel more not less technically challenged as I go.

good pictures. that shows the fitment well. I'm not the best at posting pics and unfortunately, I feel more not less technically challenged as I go.

I'm taking fewer pictures these days...lol. These ones above were a pretty quick repair that I wasn't too fussy about, but they give an idea of one way to do it. I bolted them in place with 1/4" bolts up on the "legs" I made. They worked well. If I had more time (and interest) I would have welded them, but for stuff that can't be seen once installed, I don't worry all that much over. It's more function over form!