Bullnose Forums

Choke question

Chokes are wonderful things when they work right. When they don't I begin dreaming of buying an FI system. :-) Thankfully, they're reasonably easy to adjust.

Yes, they work quite well when they are set up properly and adjusted.

Without the choke tubes, your choke is neither set up properly nor adjusted properly. You are going to dream about buying an EFI system again when it turns cooler and your choke doesn't work right no matter what adjustments you make to the linkage.

Chokes are wonderful things when they work right. When they don't I begin dreaming of buying an FI system. :-) Thankfully, they're reasonably easy to adjust.

Yes, they work quite well when they are set up properly and adjusted.

Without the choke tubes, your choke is neither set up properly nor adjusted properly. You are going to dream about buying an EFI system again when it turns cooler and your choke doesn't work right no matter what adjustments you make to the linkage.

Can concur... the choke on my 1984 4.9 didn't work right until I replaced the rotted out hot air tubing (capping the ports off wasn't enough!). The choke is a "dual heat" design... it needs both the stove connection and the electric element working to properly operate.

In my case, since I had the intake off while I was rebuilding my engine, I was able to carefully drill out the rotted remains of the old tubing from said exhaust mainifold and then installed new lines I bent/flared out of some copper ice maker tubing (1/4"). I tried to solder them in place but the manifold is too effective of a heat sink. But I did make it work and AFAIK it doesn't leak. Works for me!

Edit- Looking at Tom's pictures, it seems his choke has no stove hookup to speak of. Which means that unless a different choke coil from stock is used, it's doomed to never work right. There are carb applications that use purely electric chokes (like the Kehin-clone carb on a chinese moped I used to ride)... but whether or not anything with a carter-style choke was designed that way is beyond me. :nabble_anim_confused:

Can concur... the choke on my 1984 4.9 didn't work right until I replaced the rotted out hot air tubing (capping the ports off wasn't enough!). The choke is a "dual heat" design... it needs both the stove connection and the electric element working to properly operate.

In my case, since I had the intake off while I was rebuilding my engine, I was able to carefully drill out the rotted remains of the old tubing from said exhaust mainifold and then installed new lines I bent/flared out of some copper ice maker tubing (1/4"). I tried to solder them in place but the manifold is too effective of a heat sink. But I did make it work and AFAIK it doesn't leak. Works for me!

Edit- Looking at Tom's pictures, it seems his choke has no stove hookup to speak of. Which means that unless a different choke coil from stock is used, it's doomed to never work right. There are carb applications that use purely electric chokes (like the Kehin-clone carb on a chinese moped I used to ride)... but whether or not anything with a carter-style choke was designed that way is beyond me. :nabble_anim_confused:

Sounds like time for a manual choke.

Sounds like time for a manual choke.

sounds like time for the correct carb!

If he has a carb that works other than the choke not all is lost.

Someone hinted about electric cap and that with the hot air tube is the answer.

Dose the old carb have an electric cap and if so swap it with the one on your good carb.

This has been posted by someone before to get his choke to work right that he had to use the old carbs choke cap on the new carb.

And yes he also had to have the hot air part working too.

Dave ----