Bullnose Forums

Choke question

Guys - My '85 F150 with the 4.9L six has a single barrel carb the p.o. bought off Amazon, he tells me. For the life of me, I can't find a name on this carb...not even a Made in China. :-)

Anyway, seems I have to wait for the engine to warm up before driving. If I don't, it's real sluggish - like my e-brake is on, but it isn't. If I slowly give her more gas I have to be patient for an increase in speed.

Sounds like a choke thing, since it runs okay warm. Starts fine and when I got home & removed the air cleaner, the choke plate was fully open, FWIW.

F150_carb.thumb.jpg.130f6af3d1895d7ce400c525f0ce7613.jpg

Any suggestions on what to adjust, bend or smash would be appreciated!

Here is a thread from way in the past and it was for a 1986 F150 with 4.9L and non feedback carburetor.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1110073-choke-adjustment-101-a.html

By the way, has your distributor been changed to a non feedback unit? Does it have a vacuum line attached or are there a number of wires toward the bottom of the distributor body?

Here is a thread from way in the past and it was for a 1986 F150 with 4.9L and non feedback carburetor.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1110073-choke-adjustment-101-a.html

By the way, has your distributor been changed to a non feedback unit? Does it have a vacuum line attached or are there a number of wires toward the bottom of the distributor body?

Thank you for taking the time to put that into very understandable words, for a dolt like me!

I'll do the same on a cold start and see where the choke plate is.

Thank you for taking the time to put that into very understandable words, for a dolt like me!

I'll do the same on a cold start and see where the choke plate is.

By the way, my carb has nothing attached to the bib up near the throat that this orange hose is on.

carb.thumb.jpg.c9addcf7f6be995b23c4823d1ee836c9.jpg

Where does the other end go?

By the way, my carb has nothing attached to the bib up near the throat that this orange hose is on.

Oh and my carb doesn't have the little vacuum can (unloader?) this carb has. Maybe that explains why mine has no hose attached..?

Oh and my carb doesn't have the little vacuum can (unloader?) this carb has. Maybe that explains why mine has no hose attached..?

Can you show a picture of where the electric plugs in?

Some need a full 12 volts and others 6 to 7 volts.

Also dose the carb have a fitting on it for the steel hot air line to screw on to it?

That nipple you dont have anything to by the air filter flange may need to be capped but need to see if you have hot air choke.

Dave ----

Can you show a picture of where the electric plugs in?

Some need a full 12 volts and others 6 to 7 volts.

Also dose the carb have a fitting on it for the steel hot air line to screw on to it?

That nipple you dont have anything to by the air filter flange may need to be capped but need to see if you have hot air choke.

Dave ----

the "vacuum unloader" is there to pull the choke open as far as the choke control wil let it to allow the engine to run as close to normal as possible, as soon as possible. without it you are relying entirely on the coil and environmental heat available. if your coil is getting less than the needed voltage then it will surely be slow to wake up.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n118545/carb.jpg

The orange hose is part of the "fresh air" tube for your thermostatic (hot air) choke. The rubber hose is attached to a length of tubing that would go into a choke stove on the exhaust manifold. The other end of the choke stove stove would have an insulated "hot air" tube leading back up to your choke cap.

The image below is for a V8, but hopefully you can see how it is all plumbed:

Choke-1.jpg.0fef17f116bdacff64b2ea4f19793e78.jpg

Without these items in place, your choke is not going to work correctly.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n118545/carb.jpg

The orange hose is part of the "fresh air" tube for your thermostatic (hot air) choke. The rubber hose is attached to a length of tubing that would go into a choke stove on the exhaust manifold. The other end of the choke stove stove would have an insulated "hot air" tube leading back up to your choke cap.

The image below is for a V8, but hopefully you can see how it is all plumbed:

Without these items in place, your choke is not going to work correctly.

I found my carb on amazon and it resembles the Kipa 1bb YF type, for around $90. Mine, like that one, doesn't have a voltage tab on the bi-metal case, so it relies on heat from the pipe from the exhaust manifold, which screws into the carb.

I found my choke plate was not closing down on a cold engine "pump" of the accelerator, so removed the carb - working on that engine is a back killer! - and made an adjustment to linkage so now it will close down. Chokes are wonderful things when they work right. When they don't I begin dreaming of buying an FI system. :-) Thankfully, they're reasonably easy to adjust.

Thanks much for all your ideas! It's like having you guys out in the garage with me...kinda.

I found my carb on amazon and it resembles the Kipa 1bb YF type, for around $90. Mine, like that one, doesn't have a voltage tab on the bi-metal case, so it relies on heat from the pipe from the exhaust manifold, which screws into the carb.

I found my choke plate was not closing down on a cold engine "pump" of the accelerator, so removed the carb - working on that engine is a back killer! - and made an adjustment to linkage so now it will close down. Chokes are wonderful things when they work right. When they don't I begin dreaming of buying an FI system. :-) Thankfully, they're reasonably easy to adjust.

Thanks much for all your ideas! It's like having you guys out in the garage with me...kinda.

Ya think I should put a rubber cap on that open bib at the top of the throat?