Bullnose Forums

Brake caliper coming loose

Thanks Dave,

Interesting to read through that thread. Seems like a funny coincidence that, like me, the op and at least one other poster reported the issue on the passenger side only.

Well, I guess I have some measuring to do today lol

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Dave,

Interesting to read through that thread. Seems like a funny coincidence that, like me, the op and at least one other poster reported the issue on the passenger side only.

Well, I guess I have some measuring to do today lol

I did not read through it this time to see what the fix was but did remember seeing it.

Hope it helps

Dave ----

I hit EXACTLY the same issue, couple of years ago, after 115 miles of high speed gravel road... Completely LOST the spring and key (although the bolt was always in place). Calliper was "noising" in the wheel.

With the help of a little garage at Parent, (yes, it's the village name), we were able to make a temporary fix, to keep the calliper at its place long enough to go back home.

Back to home, had to weld a bit the calliper end, to fill the loose at the key. Was temporary, finally changed the callipers, too worn.

Since that time I keep a «bolt+spring+key» spare kit in glove box. Even with good callipers. No risk to take.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

12-24-8.thumb.jpg.1c2799c35dbb8627c64d3393c78aaf4e.jpg

12-24-9.thumb.jpg.3f90da8336bc4404b4ff2928fa5fb7d1.jpg

12-24-10.thumb.jpg.6167dd17c010db0e5a88578b0df97d87.jpg

I hit EXACTLY the same issue, couple of years ago, after 115 miles of high speed gravel road... Completely LOST the spring and key (although the bolt was always in place). Calliper was "noising" in the wheel.

With the help of a little garage at Parent, (yes, it's the village name), we were able to make a temporary fix, to keep the calliper at its place long enough to go back home.

Back to home, had to weld a bit the calliper end, to fill the loose at the key. Was temporary, finally changed the callipers, too worn.

Since that time I keep a «bolt+spring+key» spare kit in glove box. Even with good callipers. No risk to take.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

I did another temporary fix. Last week I pulled the key and spring out and inserted a thicker shim and haven't had any trouble... yet.

I decided to just go ahead and get new calipers. They should be in tomorrow, so we'll see what happens!

Cheers!

Lucas

I did another temporary fix. Last week I pulled the key and spring out and inserted a thicker shim and haven't had any trouble... yet.

I decided to just go ahead and get new calipers. They should be in tomorrow, so we'll see what happens!

Cheers!

Lucas

I think replacing the calipers is a good plan. Hopefully that will solve the problem. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

• 3 weeks later...

I think replacing the calipers is a good plan. Hopefully that will solve the problem. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

I thought I'd follow up in case anyone else comes across the same issue.

Having been driving on the new calipers (which included all new keys, springs and hold-down bolts) for a while now, the problem seems to be fixed (knocks on wood).

I was a little concerned initially because when installing the new keys and springs I was able to push them in easily by hand, making me wonder if the fit was too loose.

If anything does come loose again, I'll really be at a loss since as far as I was able to determine the mounting brackets on both spindles measure out to be the same on both sides. In any case, seems relatively safe to say that if your caliper falls off while driving, you almost certainly need new calipers lol

I thought I'd follow up in case anyone else comes across the same issue.

Having been driving on the new calipers (which included all new keys, springs and hold-down bolts) for a while now, the problem seems to be fixed (knocks on wood).

I was a little concerned initially because when installing the new keys and springs I was able to push them in easily by hand, making me wonder if the fit was too loose.

If anything does come loose again, I'll really be at a loss since as far as I was able to determine the mounting brackets on both spindles measure out to be the same on both sides. In any case, seems relatively safe to say that if your caliper falls off while driving, you almost certainly need new calipers lol

Thanks for the follow up. The fact that it hasn't come off again is a good sign that you probably have it whipped. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the follow up. The fact that it hasn't come off again is a good sign that you probably have it whipped. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hi guys,

Coming home yesterday, that passenger side caliper came loose again after a hard stab on the brakes. Just to review, that's a brand new caliper and hardware.

I'm thinking the problem has got to be with the steering knuckle. I have no way to measure the brackets on the knuckle accurately enough to make a determination of wear, so I'm on the verge of finding some replacement knuckles.

Question: I was looking at the parts lists trying to determine if there are different versions for the same axle, but it's all as clear as mud to me - does anyone know if the knuckles for the 8 lug Dana 44HD axles are all the same?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Coming home yesterday, that passenger side caliper came loose again after a hard stab on the brakes. Just to review, that's a brand new caliper and hardware.

I'm thinking the problem has got to be with the steering knuckle. I have no way to measure the brackets on the knuckle accurately enough to make a determination of wear, so I'm on the verge of finding some replacement knuckles.

Question: I was looking at the parts lists trying to determine if there are different versions for the same axle, but it's all as clear as mud to me - does anyone know if the knuckles for the 8 lug Dana 44HD axles are all the same?

Thanks!

It is a very confusing area, so I understand why it isn't clear to you. But let me try to work my way through it.

First, you have to go to the Front Driving Axle Cross Reference Guide and find out what parts list your axle uses. Here's a portion of that guide and I've highlighted the only ones that are 44HD's. Turns out they use parts lists 30.3C and 30.3E.

Front_Driving_Axle_Cross_Ref.thumb.jpg.c84c4e4c402f25ac50a829248257a22d.jpg

And then you go to Section 30, which is the "30" part of 30.3C & E. And scroll down until you see "Front Axle Parts Lists 3A Thru 3M" since both C and E lie between A and M. And then scroll down until you find Spindle Assy 3105. At that point you look at Column C and find that those axles use spindles E6TZ 3105-E. Then move on to Column E and lo and behold those axles use the same spindle!

So, to answer your question, yes I believe that all 44HD axles use the same spindles.

3C_Front_Axle_Parts_List_3105.thumb.jpg.18654268b72768c0bec88272c591220c.jpg

It is a very confusing area, so I understand why it isn't clear to you. But let me try to work my way through it.

First, you have to go to the Front Driving Axle Cross Reference Guide and find out what parts list your axle uses. Here's a portion of that guide and I've highlighted the only ones that are 44HD's. Turns out they use parts lists 30.3C and 30.3E.

And then you go to Section 30, which is the "30" part of 30.3C & E. And scroll down until you see "Front Axle Parts Lists 3A Thru 3M" since both C and E lie between A and M. And then scroll down until you find Spindle Assy 3105. At that point you look at Column C and find that those axles use spindles E6TZ 3105-E. Then move on to Column E and lo and behold those axles use the same spindle!

So, to answer your question, yes I believe that all 44HD axles use the same spindles.

Aha, thank you so much Gary!

I'd like to say I would have figured that out, but I'm not sure I would have lol

Cheers!

PS. New tires look good!