Bullnose Forums

Trick Flow 170cc heads too small for a 393?

It seems like the 393 would surpass the MPG potential of the 351 based just on it making considerably more torque down low and having an extra 2 gears to play with, even though it has 42 more cubes.

The problem I find with this statement is that "MPG potential" is not a fixed thing. It all goes back to how you drive it.

I am in total agreement that a 393, driven gently, could surpass the MPG of a 351. This was the lesson to be learned from the Prius and the BMW - if you have to wring a smaller engines neck to get it to produce power (the Prius) but can extract the same vehicle performance with a larger engine operating at a more leisurely pace (the BMW) then the larger engine can perform better, MPG wise.

Now, if you decide to wring the larger engine's neck, well, it's going to lose that MPG advantage.

The problem I find with this statement is that "MPG potential" is not a fixed thing. It all goes back to how you drive it.

I am in total agreement that a 393, driven gently, could surpass the MPG of a 351. This was the lesson to be learned from the Prius and the BMW - if you have to wring a smaller engines neck to get it to produce power (the Prius) but can extract the same vehicle performance with a larger engine operating at a more leisurely pace (the BMW) then the larger engine can perform better, MPG wise.

Now, if you decide to wring the larger engine's neck, well, it's going to lose that MPG advantage.

I agree with that statement - to a point. And that point is some place below 7.5L. I know one of them that is operating leisurely and it isn't going to get what a 393 or a 351 could get, in spite of being a well-built engine and fuel injected. There's just something about the 460 and efficiency that don't belong in the same sentence. Oops! I did it. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Rusty, the OP has a 350 (heavier frame, suspension and axles, more air under the chassis) and a 4.10 ratio in a suspected D61 axle.

This is why I said I doubted that it would get to 15 highway.

Gearing change and a 5-speed Tremec is certainly going to help, but still a big challenge even if you drive like you have an egg on the throttle pedal.

Shame some other cam company hasn't picked up on that grind.

I do understand that there isn't much demand for a cam like that on an extinct engine, especially when engines have evolved so much in the last 30 years.

It probably isn't worth it for them given the very limited market.

Yep, I think he can hit 15 to 18 highway with the proper setup even in a F350. Given that wont be pulling a trailer or hauling a load.

Comp supposedly bought Crane out and thats it. You go to crane.com it redirects you to comp cams and they have no mention of releasing the Crane grinds or a listing of them on their website. I put my cam card up so in the off chance if my cam gets damaged I am hopeful I could use this cam card to get someone to custom grind me this cam again.

I agree with that statement - to a point. And that point is some place below 7.5L. I know one of them that is operating leisurely and it isn't going to get what a 393 or a 351 could get, in spite of being a well-built engine and fuel injected. There's just something about the 460 and efficiency that don't belong in the same sentence. Oops! I did it. :nabble_smiley_evil:

lol engine builder I know told me to just get a stock 460 and drop it in my truck vs trying to hotrod build a 302. I went uh no I want a blend of more performance and fuel economy than the smog 302 gets lol.

Yep, I think he can hit 15 to 18 highway with the proper setup even in a F350. Given that wont be pulling a trailer or hauling a load.

Comp supposedly bought Crane out and thats it. You go to crane.com it redirects you to comp cams and they have no mention of releasing the Crane grinds or a listing of them on their website. I put my cam card up so in the off chance if my cam gets damaged I am hopeful I could use this cam card to get someone to custom grind me this cam again.

Scott at Parkland has someone to grind cams for him..

Used to be Delta. I don't know if it still is.

"Efficiency" and 460 can definitely be in the same sentence!

But big engines burn a lot of fuel.

And you never asked Scott to build a tea totaller.

I said that in my very first reply. Something like, they are "a different kind of beast"

"Efficiency" and 460 can definitely be in the same sentence!

But big engines burn a lot of fuel.

And you never asked Scott to build a tea totaller.

I said that in my very first reply. Something like, they are "a different kind of beast"

Yes, it is different. And yes, it is a beast. So I guess that makes it a "a different kind of beast". :nabble_smiley_evil:

And it drives sooooo much better with EFI - when the EFI is working correctly. Whole different engine.

Yes, it is different. And yes, it is a beast. So I guess that makes it a "a different kind of beast". :nabble_smiley_evil:

And it drives sooooo much better with EFI - when the EFI is working correctly. Whole different engine.

Scott planned that whole engine around EFI!

And Bill has been pushing since you got the cam broken in. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Scott planned that whole engine around EFI!

And Bill has been pushing since you got the cam broken in. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Yep, but I had places I wanted to go, like Ouray, and wanted to use the truck for a while. And I knew it was going to be down for several months while installing the EFI. Looks like it took right at 3 months to get it going, and it'll take a bit longer to get sorted.

Yep, but I had places I wanted to go, like Ouray, and wanted to use the truck for a while. And I knew it was going to be down for several months while installing the EFI. Looks like it took right at 3 months to get it going, and it'll take a bit longer to get sorted.

I'm not saying it isn't "A good thing" that you got to enjoy Big Blue....

Just now that he fits your sig (and the builders optimization) he is running smooth and strong.