Bullnose Forums

New 460 is here. Engine swap is about to commence.

Reman’d 460 is here from ATK engines.

Time to tear into this sweet old girl and give her a new heart.

Some quick questions:

1. What should I swap to the new motor and what should I buy new?

2. What’s the best way to do this? Pull core supports and go straight out the front, or try to lift straight up?

3. C6 trans: rebuild it myself, or take it to a shop? I’ve never done trans work before.

C7B853D8-A15B-4177-A91B-BBFCAEC74136.jpeg.ac51651f1c8fd2bd2cab1eefaa41c770.jpeg

2C230EA4-ADBB-4D06-8C5D-EC7DF187269A.jpeg.b094b5e40551c6e31838e19e5e759482.jpeg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll need the timing cover off the old engine - assuming it is in good shape.

As for the intake, are you going with an aftermarket one? That's something I might buy new.

The old valve covers will work, assuming they aren't beat up, but it is always nice to have new cast aluminum covers that look pretty and seal better.

Concerning removal and installation, the 460 is a beast, so I'd make it as easy as possible and pull the radiator and radiator support.

But I can't speak to the rebuilding of the tranny as I have no idea what your skill level is. Personally I'd have it rebuilt and beefed up.

If you have enough manpower available, I would pull the entire doghouse (front clip) as that way you don't need to lift the engine anywhere near as high. Hardest part is the wiring has to be completely disconnected as unlike the trucks before 1980 and post 1986 the front and dash harness is all one assembly. Pulling just the radiator support will help, but it will leave the fenders pretty well unsupported so that if you hit one the wrong way it can buckle easily.

I have done a 460 manual transmission engine over the radiator support, if I had one of the lifting plates that bolts on the intake it would have been a lot easier. My nice Mac tools engine leveler helped, but due to the rear set position on these trucks, it and the firewall became close friends.

On the C6, unless you have access to the tools needed to disassemble and reassemble the clutches, you are better off taking it to a shop.

As for the intake, are you going with an aftermarket one? That's something I might buy new.

The old valve covers will work, assuming they aren't beat up, but it is always nice to have new cast aluminum covers that look pretty and seal better.

Concerning removal and installation, the 460 is a beast, so I'd make it as easy as possible and pull the radiator and radiator support.

But I can't speak to the rebuilding of the tranny as I have no idea what your skill level is. Personally I'd have it rebuilt and beefed up.

So far I’ve got a new water pump, new intake, new torque converter (old one was tired from plowing snow), new headers.

Good call on the valve covers.

I’m pretty handy mechanically - but lacking any specialty tools and proper workspace.

I’ll have the trans professionally done.

I’ll pull the radiator and supports.

Thanks!

Ditto the water pump backing plate. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Is your engine going back in as stock as possible?

What are you using for break in oil?

Yeah going back in stock.

This will be my first big project on the bullnose.

I’ve swapped engines in jeeps before and done lots of big projects on jeeps….

So I’m gonna leave this OEM.. if I discover that it’s fun and easy to work on then maybe I’ll get an itch for more…. But she’s in such good shape I don’t want to mess up a good thing.

So I’m gonna leave this OEM.. if I discover that it’s fun and easy to work on then maybe I’ll get an itch for more…. But she’s in such good shape I don’t want to mess up a good thing.

Anyone in the Denver area interested in lending a hand or offering some friendly guidance?

You might want to assure that the cam timing set that came with your re-man engine is set 'straight up' instead of 4° retarded like it came from the factory.

This makes a huge difference in perceived torque.

• 10 months later...

Anyone in the Denver area interested in lending a hand or offering some friendly guidance?

Engine and trans came out nice and easy.

Left the front clip in place, just pulled the core supports and went out the front.

Been waiting on parts for months.. 🙄

C-6 was rebuilt by a local shop, he said it was in great shape.

Working on assembling the engine now….. but now I’m wondering - should I leave it stock, or throw a cam in there while I have it sitting on a stand?

Would a 460 come alive with a cam? Not that I’m expecting a race truck, but a little more power would be nice.

You might want to assure that the cam timing set that came with your re-man engine is set 'straight up' instead of 4° retarded like it came from the factory.

This makes a huge difference in perceived torque.

I’ll go check it this afternoon.

If it is retarded, is that something I can easily change? (I’m not familiar with engine building)

And just like the thought about the cam.. I’d have to pay someone to do it, or take it to my buddies place to get that work done.