Bullnose Forums

Threads not showing as read

I noticed recently that the threads on the forum are not showing as read after I've viewed them. I assume that is an issue with my browser? ie: Chrome?

It still works on my iPhone...I can click on "Topics View", and then the threads that I've viewed are a different color than the one I have not viewed.

On my laptop though, they're all staying as blue (unread).

Is there something I should check in Chrome to change this?

I think Dave/FuzzFace2 had a similar problem recently, as reported here. But he was going to do some more checking and I've not heard back from him so will tag him in my response.

Having said that, it seems to me that if it works right on the phone and not on the computer then the problem isn't with the site. But I don't know if that is true. Have you tried another browser?

I think Dave/FuzzFace2 had a similar problem recently, as reported here. But he was going to do some more checking and I've not heard back from him so will tag him in my response.

Having said that, it seems to me that if it works right on the phone and not on the computer then the problem isn't with the site. But I don't know if that is true. Have you tried another browser?

It's weird. I usually use Chrome, but I just checked MS Edge or whatever it's called. Same issue.

The threads all show as read in the "Topics" column, but in the "Replies Last Post", they are not showing as red. However, they ARE showing as read on my iPhone, even after viewing them only on my PC. It seems sort of random, but it is a thing for sure. Fine on my mobile. I just cleared all my cookies and whatnot, and re-signed into the forum. No change. Maybe my antivirus or something...I'll keep trying.

forum_snip.jpg.6bd0303e590a3b446cef79191b630855.jpg

And on Edge..

forum_2.jpg.8734d46c474755cdab320c2e101c7d39.jpg

I have the same problem by the way. With most forums I'm on I usually go straight to whatever "New Posts" button is there to catch up on what I've missed. Since this doesn't have that I've learned to go to Topics View and scan down for non-visited links in the Last Post column. This doesn't seem to work anymore, it stopped about a month or two ago. Now I ust check once a day for everything with a time code, since those are "today's posts".

I have the same problem by the way. With most forums I'm on I usually go straight to whatever "New Posts" button is there to catch up on what I've missed. Since this doesn't have that I've learned to go to Topics View and scan down for non-visited links in the Last Post column. This doesn't seem to work anymore, it stopped about a month or two ago. Now I ust check once a day for everything with a time code, since those are "today's posts".

Sorry I did not get back sooner :nabble_smiley_blush:

I just check my phone (Android) and it also does the same thing, will not make post as read but ....

If the thread has a low number of replies, 1 had 4 total, it marked it read.

If someone made a reply to a post with a higher number (27) it did not mark it.

On my "classic" lap top running a "classic" OS and Chrome I thought it was on my end but now I guess not?

I wonder if the site / software has a limit of users or data it can support?

Dave ----

Sorry I did not get back sooner :nabble_smiley_blush:

I just check my phone (Android) and it also does the same thing, will not make post as read but ....

If the thread has a low number of replies, 1 had 4 total, it marked it read.

If someone made a reply to a post with a higher number (27) it did not mark it.

On my "classic" lap top running a "classic" OS and Chrome I thought it was on my end but now I guess not?

I wonder if the site / software has a limit of users or data it can support?

Dave ----

Well folks, this is "interesting". I've been trying several different things and am getting such different results that I'm thoroughly confused. :nabble_anim_confused:

First, Safari on my iPhone X is the only one that appears to work correctly. On my Windows 10 device Chrome gives what is shown on the left below, and Firefox gives what is shown on the right - only the first 3 items show. On the other hand, on my iPhone X Chrome gives the same thing as Firefox on the Windows machine. :nabble_anim_crazy:

But wait, there's more! The Chrome display, below left, is not correct. How can it be when it shows that I posted at 5:43 PM but haven't read it?

I'm really, REALLY confused. I'm going to try to get my mentor on all things Nabble to tell me what he thinks is going on. But it appears to be really bizarre.

Chrome_Topics_View.thumb.jpg.9f60dcbb0b324c0f426d9c4536853339.jpgFirefox_Topics_View.thumb.jpg.8fda8cbec0068906922725ddaff16667.jpg

Well folks, this is "interesting". I've been trying several different things and am getting such different results that I'm thoroughly confused. :nabble_anim_confused:

First, Safari on my iPhone X is the only one that appears to work correctly. On my Windows 10 device Chrome gives what is shown on the left below, and Firefox gives what is shown on the right - only the first 3 items show. On the other hand, on my iPhone X Chrome gives the same thing as Firefox on the Windows machine. :nabble_anim_crazy:

But wait, there's more! The Chrome display, below left, is not correct. How can it be when it shows that I posted at 5:43 PM but haven't read it?

I'm really, REALLY confused. I'm going to try to get my mentor on all things Nabble to tell me what he thinks is going on. But it appears to be really bizarre.

Gary,

It’s still working as original (normal) on my iPhone, but still showing as unread on my laptop.

It’s weird because I’ll click on a thread thinking there’s a new reply but then there isn’t lol.

Gary,

It’s still working as original (normal) on my iPhone, but still showing as unread on my laptop.

It’s weird because I’ll click on a thread thinking there’s a new reply but then there isn’t lol.

Yes, it is weird. But it is also similar to the problem we are having with the TEST forum - you cannot log in with most browsers on most machines, but you can on some. In this case you see you've read it when looking via some browsers, but not others. And still others won't show the whole page.

This is well beyond me. I need to call in help!

Yes, it is weird. But it is also similar to the problem we are having with the TEST forum - you cannot log in with most browsers on most machines, but you can on some. In this case you see you've read it when looking via some browsers, but not others. And still others won't show the whole page.

This is well beyond me. I need to call in help!

I don't know if this helps or hurts but I happen to be a Web developer, among other things. Here's a detail that may be of use in you/somebody looking at what Nabble is doing. Normally browsers can do their own visited-link tracking and color those links. But Nabble is overriding them by hard-coding a color on each link:

rules.png.11533733ae97375cd4f5c82de6cd1347.png

If I disable this style, my browser styling takes over again and is correct:

Screen_Shot_2022-04-13_at_3.png.0f657be2210430e399d4e738a0149f22.png

If you're looking into things, this is not CSS/site styling rules. This is set on the element itself, so it's the server software doing it. Maybe that guides you to some setting or config option that helps?

I don't know if this helps or hurts but I happen to be a Web developer, among other things. Here's a detail that may be of use in you/somebody looking at what Nabble is doing. Normally browsers can do their own visited-link tracking and color those links. But Nabble is overriding them by hard-coding a color on each link:

If I disable this style, my browser styling takes over again and is correct:

If you're looking into things, this is not CSS/site styling rules. This is set on the element itself, so it's the server software doing it. Maybe that guides you to some setting or config option that helps?

I think that is a big help. But now I need to find the macro that is doing that.

So, how did you disable it? Perhaps that will tell me what to search for?