Bullnose Forums

New guy here

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, I saw where you had requested to join and been approved. Glad to have you here. Truck still looks great!

Thanks! it's getting time for a repaint, it's getting harder and harder to keep clean and harder to wash. I had purchased a marti report for this thing a couple years back and found the paint combo is 1 of 124 for the paint/trim combo and 1 of 498 for all trim combos. Needless to say, it'll be repainted the same colors. I took the truck to work today which involves a bit of 65 mph, a lot of windy curvy roads with potholes and just a crappy commute all together. Truck drove pretty good and is way less white knuckle on the highway at high speeds with the new kingpins. I think once the frame rivet is repaired and maybe loosen the preload on the steering box since it seems a bit over adjusted now it'll be great.

Thanks! it's getting time for a repaint, it's getting harder and harder to keep clean and harder to wash. I had purchased a marti report for this thing a couple years back and found the paint combo is 1 of 124 for the paint/trim combo and 1 of 498 for all trim combos. Needless to say, it'll be repainted the same colors. I took the truck to work today which involves a bit of 65 mph, a lot of windy curvy roads with potholes and just a crappy commute all together. Truck drove pretty good and is way less white knuckle on the highway at high speeds with the new kingpins. I think once the frame rivet is repaired and maybe loosen the preload on the steering box since it seems a bit over adjusted now it'll be great.

That preload on the steering box can be a big issue. Doesn't take much and you have no feel and wind up chasing it all the time. I'd rather have a bit of play than no feel.

That preload on the steering box can be a big issue. Doesn't take much and you have no feel and wind up chasing it all the time. I'd rather have a bit of play than no feel.

Yeah, last year I installed a new borgeson steering shaft and tightened up the box preload a little to help keep it from bump steering so much. Now that it has new kingpins that actually move freely and don't allow the spindles to move up and down .050" or so it doesn't need to be so tight. It's not terrible though.

Yeah, last year I installed a new borgeson steering shaft and tightened up the box preload a little to help keep it from bump steering so much. Now that it has new kingpins that actually move freely and don't allow the spindles to move up and down .050" or so it doesn't need to be so tight. It's not terrible though.

Well, somewhat bad news. I remembered I had a endoscope camera that connects to my phone and I got a video of the bad crossmember to frame rivet, it looks like the rivet is split and the crossmember is cracked. Not sure how to fix this one, might just sell the truck and buy something newer at this point.

There is the endoscope video. Either that's been cracked the entire time I've had the truck or that horrendous pothole cracked it.

Well, somewhat bad news. I remembered I had a endoscope camera that connects to my phone and I got a video of the bad crossmember to frame rivet, it looks like the rivet is split and the crossmember is cracked. Not sure how to fix this one, might just sell the truck and buy something newer at this point.

There is the endoscope video. Either that's been cracked the entire time I've had the truck or that horrendous pothole cracked it.

That is a bummer!

But I watched the video a couple of times and I'm not sure I understand what I'm seeing. At one point it looks like I'm seeing two things moving, but I'm not sure what they are. Can you walk me through it?

That is a bummer!

But I watched the video a couple of times and I'm not sure I understand what I'm seeing. At one point it looks like I'm seeing two things moving, but I'm not sure what they are. Can you walk me through it?

The two things you can see moving at the beginning of the video is the crossmember where it sits against the frame rail, and those two little blobs in the middle of the crack are the head of the rivet on the inside of the frame, it's split. Judging by how greasy it is I'd say it's been like that a long time. I'm surprised the frame is still OK. I think I could gain access to it if I removed the mount the steering box attaches to. It needs welded at the minimum. I don't know, I really don't feel like fixing that with how my back and neck condition has deteriorated these days.

The two things you can see moving at the beginning of the video is the crossmember where it sits against the frame rail, and those two little blobs in the middle of the crack are the head of the rivet on the inside of the frame, it's split. Judging by how greasy it is I'd say it's been like that a long time. I'm surprised the frame is still OK. I think I could gain access to it if I removed the mount the steering box attaches to. It needs welded at the minimum. I don't know, I really don't feel like fixing that with how my back and neck condition has deteriorated these days.

Ok, I think I can picture it now.

Man, that would be a lot of work to fix! And unless you have a lift it would be hard on backs and necks.

Ok, I think I can picture it now.

Man, that would be a lot of work to fix! And unless you have a lift it would be hard on backs and necks.

I did the kingpins in my driveway, on uneven asphalt. Normally I'd do that in the garage, but my galaxie sits in there and I didn't want to leave that out for a week straight. That job wasn't so bad, but I did so much hammering getting the pins out (wasn't even that much) I lost the feeling in my left hand for a while. It might be for sale! something also happened with the engine about a year or so ago, it has some blowby now and the MPG took a bit of a dive and it started using a little bit of oil, still runs the same though.