Bullnose Forums

New guy here

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Matthew. :nabble_waving_orig:

I guess i have just been lucky. I have not found this issue before but also have not looked for it. I will! I ha replace a good amount of steering gears and spring buckets so im familiar with the structure. I wonder how much road salt plays a part in the failures? Beyond the the obvious commonality of rust

I guess i have just been lucky. I have not found this issue before but also have not looked for it. I will! I ha replace a good amount of steering gears and spring buckets so im familiar with the structure. I wonder how much road salt plays a part in the failures? Beyond the the obvious commonality of rust

Not sure on that one. My frame is rust free and still has quite a bit of paint left on it and it still cracked. I think this issue is more commonly found on high mileage trucks, especially trucks that were worked hard.

Not sure on that one. My frame is rust free and still has quite a bit of paint left on it and it still cracked. I think this issue is more commonly found on high mileage trucks, especially trucks that were worked hard.

The frame on Dad's truck was cracked at the back edge of the steering box. But the frame had no rust. And the truck had never been taken off the road. However, it did pull a travel trailer all over the US, so maybe that put stress on it? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

The frame on Dad's truck was cracked at the back edge of the steering box. But the frame had no rust. And the truck had never been taken off the road. However, it did pull a travel trailer all over the US, so maybe that put stress on it? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

I'm starting to think the stresses of hauling heavy loads and towing trailers is what causes the issue over time. My truck used to have a 5th wheel receiver in the bed, and the bed itself looked like it hauled a lifetime of gravel before I had it lined.

I'm starting to think the stresses of hauling heavy loads and towing trailers is what causes the issue over time. My truck used to have a 5th wheel receiver in the bed, and the bed itself looked like it hauled a lifetime of gravel before I had it lined.

As Jim/Ardwrkntrk has pointed out, if the truck is sitting still and you crank the wheel stop-to-stop the front bumper changes angles a whole lot. That can't be good for the frame.

As Jim/Ardwrkntrk has pointed out, if the truck is sitting still and you crank the wheel stop-to-stop the front bumper changes angles a whole lot. That can't be good for the frame.

Yeah, cranking lock to lock especially with the engine not running adds a ton of stress to that area. Even with the crossmember before the repair I had looked at the bumper and had someone turn it lock to lock and it didn't really move any, which surprised me. This only seems to be an issue with 7th, 8th and 9th generation trucks that share the same frame design, anyone ever hear of this happening on 6th or 5th generation trucks? the frames aren't all that different. I suspect the metal used was of a cost saving decision and doesn't like fatigue. After owning both Ford's from the 60's, and some from the 80's and 90's I have noticed a distinct quality difference in the materials that were used, other than obvious paint and anti rust improvements made over the years. Pretty sad when a worn out 64 Ford with trash front end components drives better than a 99 Ford with a completely rebuilt front suspension...LOL

Yeah, cranking lock to lock especially with the engine not running adds a ton of stress to that area. Even with the crossmember before the repair I had looked at the bumper and had someone turn it lock to lock and it didn't really move any, which surprised me. This only seems to be an issue with 7th, 8th and 9th generation trucks that share the same frame design, anyone ever hear of this happening on 6th or 5th generation trucks? the frames aren't all that different. I suspect the metal used was of a cost saving decision and doesn't like fatigue. After owning both Ford's from the 60's, and some from the 80's and 90's I have noticed a distinct quality difference in the materials that were used, other than obvious paint and anti rust improvements made over the years. Pretty sad when a worn out 64 Ford with trash front end components drives better than a 99 Ford with a completely rebuilt front suspension...LOL

that's interesting. I never turn the steering wheel unless I'm rolling. I always imagine the tires wearing unevenly. it's been a quirk of mine as long as I have been driving. about 35 years. and I have had my first bullnose since 1991. let me tell you as a young man I was not kind to bubba. he has been "airborne" more than I should say. sunk in sand banks in Memphis tn. bogged in mud in Arkansas. and sideways on as many gravel roads as one can imagine. come to think of it I had better go look there.