Bullnose Forums

Bellhousing Problems T-18/T-19

Aron

These bellhousings aren't cheap, and only come across Ebay every once in a while. Keep in mind that the 460 and 6.9 bellhousings look almost identical, but the bolt pattern/spacing is different. Make sure you don't end up with a 460 version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185355499299?hash=item2b280c7723:g:RLEAAOSw~L1iPP6P

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324949638411?hash=item4ba881fd0b:g:UZcAAOSwwBdhvzvc

Hi Aron,

I feel compelled to ask how you lost part of your bellhousing. Did your flywheel come apart or something? Sorry for being nosy, but I sort of have this fear about the lack of protection offered by my aluminum bellhousing and getting my feet cut off by my flywheel if the RPMs go too high.

Hi Aron,

I feel compelled to ask how you lost part of your bellhousing. Did your flywheel come apart or something? Sorry for being nosy, but I sort of have this fear about the lack of protection offered by my aluminum bellhousing and getting my feet cut off by my flywheel if the RPMs go too high.

This is a known issue on the 460/6.9 IDI, but I'm not sure about the small block bellhousings. What tends to happen is either the part of the bellhousing where the pivot ball is will crack and eventually separate, or one of the ears that holds the slave cylinder will break off. Either basically ruins the bellhousing. In rarer instances, there may be a crack or split where the bellhousing bolts to the engine block. Most of this is caused by crappy clutch hydraulics, and too much pressure on the clutch fork. If you're worried bout rpms sending a flywheel through the bellhousing, you probably shouldn't be running an aluminum bellhousing anyway. Most of the gasser truck pull guys are either running cast iron bellhousings or some aftermarket bellhousing because the factory aluminum ones break too easy. I'm not too sure what the diesel guys are doing, since the only bellhousing the diesels were offered with was the aluminum one.

Hi Aron,

Not Aron but the slave cylinder boss snapping off the outside is not that uncommon on these alu/mag Bell housings.

It's happened to me and I have certainly seen a few others.

Lakewood sure as heck isn't cheap, but they aren't much more than factory and it won't happen again.

Hi Aron,

Nope My Flywheel Is Fine, I Was Driving And Tried To Go From 2nd To 3rd And The Clutch Went Straight To The Floor. I pulled Over And Seen A Trail Of Fluid Behind My Truck And Seen This...

20220402_165453.jpg.3abcb3fb556d0369408b86e687938bb6.jpg

20220402_165444.jpg.300498e3be89fc0ae4f51cc823b56dd9.jpg