Bullnose Forums

Backfire

We are at 5000 feet and the tech’s at the test station just glance at the engine bay. Looked at it this morning and found I had left the vacuum advance line off. I am sure that did not help.

So about 85% the density at sea level.

Yeah it seems the test people aren't nearly as stringent or well trained there in Colorado.

These Ford's came with a restriction in the advance line. It kept the distributor from reacting too fast to throttle position.

Does your emissions sticker show a dashpot on the throttle linkage?

If so is it functional?

We are at 5000 feet and the tech’s at the test station just glance at the engine bay. Looked at it this morning and found I had left the vacuum advance line off. I am sure that did not help.

Maybe you should check the timing chain for slop while you're under the hood for wet compression?

It's not uncommon on these trucks and leads to over fuelling and sluggish performance.

So about 85% the density at sea level.

Yeah it seems the test people aren't nearly as stringent or well trained there in Colorado.

These Ford's came with a restriction in the advance line. It kept the distributor from reacting too fast to throttle position.

Does your emissions sticker show a dashpot on the throttle linkage?

If so is it functional?

Truck had been modified for “performance” when it was out of state. Emission equipment remove and the carb installed. Wife followed me home from sellers place, and complained about how rich it was. Went through a lot of fuel in the 20 miles, maybe 5 mpg. Never gave the mechanical secondaries a thought as to part of the problem. Emission standards changed in the last year or so. Probably have not trained for the upgrade. Do not see that it ever had a dashpot.

Truck had been modified for “performance” when it was out of state. Emission equipment remove and the carb installed. Wife followed me home from sellers place, and complained about how rich it was. Went through a lot of fuel in the 20 miles, maybe 5 mpg. Never gave the mechanical secondaries a thought as to part of the problem. Emission standards changed in the last year or so. Probably have not trained for the upgrade. Do not see that it ever had a dashpot.

Well can you post a pic of the diagram sticker you DO have?

Because it would show there, and the throttle stop helps keep the carb from choking.

You've got us all guessing at a cause without any info or background.

I get it now that it's new to you and you don't know who screwed with it and how.

It's still worth checking out the timing chain, if the way it runs is any evidence of it's "performance" modifications...

We need to find the bottom before we can climb out of this hole.

Well can you post a pic of the diagram sticker you DO have?

Because it would show there, and the throttle stop helps keep the carb from choking.

You've got us all guessing at a cause without any info or background.

I get it now that it's new to you and you don't know who screwed with it and how.

It's still worth checking out the timing chain, if the way it runs is any evidence of it's "performance" modifications...

We need to find the bottom before we can climb out of this hole.

The only information sticker I have is the vacuum diagram. It is the same as the one on the vacuum documentation for the 460 that is in the documentation page of this website. I have found nothing else in the engine bay. Mine looks the same as the one on the top right. Am I missing one?

Did another compression test both dry and with a couple ounces of oil in the cylinder. Pressure was in the 130 range on all cylinders with the oil, up from a low of 95. But is that a true test of ring failure? A liquid is not going to compress, and that is taking up some cylinder volume.

The only information sticker I have is the vacuum diagram. It is the same as the one on the vacuum documentation for the 460 that is in the documentation page of this website. I have found nothing else in the engine bay. Mine looks the same as the one on the top right. Am I missing one?

Did another compression test both dry and with a couple ounces of oil in the cylinder. Pressure was in the 130 range on all cylinders with the oil, up from a low of 95. But is that a true test of ring failure? A liquid is not going to compress, and that is taking up some cylinder volume.

Is the calibration number on your sticker exactly the same?

Because there are hundreds of variations.

It would be a lot simpler to just see what you've got.

And this is why you never do a wet test with more than a teaspoon (2/10 Oz.) of straight 30 weight.

Did you get a chance to rock the crank back and forth while looking at the rotor?

Is the calibration number on your sticker exactly the same?

Because there are hundreds of variations.

It would be a lot simpler to just see what you've got.

And this is why you never do a wet test with more than a teaspoon (2/10 Oz.) of straight 30 weight.

Did you get a chance to rock the crank back and forth while looking at the rotor?

Okay, this is all new to me as you have probably guessed. Going to let the motor sit with the oil in the cylinders and let it see if it will leak by into the crankcase. May have too much in there. Did not read the directions carefully before trying it. My fault.

Tried to load a picture of the sticker in the message. Will try again.F23C8D3C-4950-4692-95C2-FE25643A14EE.jpeg.9780f45c477bd48d17a011b8595eb253.jpeg

Okay, this is all new to me as you have probably guessed. Going to let the motor sit with the oil in the cylinders and let it see if it will leak by into the crankcase. May have too much in there. Did not read the directions carefully before trying it. My fault.

Tried to load a picture of the sticker in the message. Will try again.

60E56518-0B65-4C25-8700-83ED14DFC9A9.jpeg.ddae2f42b207959e7fc87e33a3c296e6.jpeg

Tried to load a picture of the sticker in the message. Will try again.

Gee, that looks pretty familiar, sort of like this one that went with the vacuum line collection.

Emission_label1.thumb.jpg.8009c62d9558cabe0f304f8ea98b53b4.jpg

Gee, that looks pretty familiar, sort of like this one that went with the vacuum line collection.

Certainly close but ADT is not the same as APE, so something is different.

At any rate do you have any other suggestions as to why this truck is running so rich, Bill?