Bullnose Forums

C-II powersteering fluid with blue top steering gear

My Bluetop steering box arrived. The instructions say to use "OEM recommended fluid". Poking around it seems that there is some conflict as to whether using regular power steering fluid or ATF...

Has anyone got a strong feeling about this they would care to share? I am hoping to tackle this afterwork tonight - if the rain holds off.

If it’s any Help, I think RedHead recommended Dextron so that is what I used and it was fine.

Thanks, I am off to the local store and that is what I was thinking. Of course it is raining and I don’t have an inside space to do this…

Silly question, how much fluid is needed?

It's been a decade since a had a C2 style pump. Now I've got a Saginaw and needed new lines when I did that.

I'm pretty sure 2qts is enough to fill the box, the pump, the two lines and the cooling loop.

Gary's Hydroboost would obviously take more. 🙄

Just be sure to keep the reservoir full, start the truck and work the wheels lock to lock a few times until you don't get any more foam at the pump return before you try to drive it.

It's been a decade since a had a C2 style pump. Now I've got a Saginaw and needed new lines when I did that.

I'm pretty sure 2qts is enough to fill the box, the pump, the two lines and the cooling loop.

Gary's Hydroboost would obviously take more. 🙄

Just be sure to keep the reservoir full, start the truck and work the wheels lock to lock a few times until you don't get any more foam at the pump return before you try to drive it.

Yes! Start the truck! A C-II will push fluid out through the vent in the lid if you turn the wheels with the engine off. And there will be fluid everywhere.