Bullnose Forums

Hello from Upstate SC

jchalo99

Thanks for the tips. Got the front of the engine torn down today. Uploaded new pics and video to the Google album.

Before I got in there someone must have been here... their was a broken bolt and a helicoil repair job. The broken bolt was holding the cover in place and made it fun to remove.

I will be placing my order for parts today, hopefully put it all back together next weekend.

I'm not seeing them. 🙄

Your Hammerite gauge bezel looks sharp BTW! :nabble_smiley_cool:

So, how slack was the chain?

Does it look like a bunch of nylon ended up in the oil pan?

I looked at my post above and it seems that Cloyes doesn't sell the timing set I've always used anymore.

But they do have a true double roller set that isn't retarded and is under $60.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not seeing them. 🙄

Your Hammerite gauge bezel looks sharp BTW! :nabble_smiley_cool:

So, how slack was the chain?

Does it look like a bunch of nylon ended up in the oil pan?

I looked at my post above and it seems that Cloyes doesn't sell the timing set I've always used anymore.

But they do have a true double roller set that isn't retarded and is under $60.

Thanks, needed to make something to hold the gauges. paint didn't stick perfectly, but it works.

should be the last images in the album, but here is a direct link to see the slack. https://photos.app.goo.gl/tztBkXSsij6UFPTs9

i would say just a bit over half an inch. without any struggle.

I am looking at the CLOYES C3013K (cheap and stock) or the CLOYES C3079X heavy duty double roller with straight up and +/- 4deg keyways.

The water pump backer plate looked good, but will be replacing all gaskets. the water pump itself, the harmonic balancer, and thermostat.

Thanks, needed to make something to hold the gauges. paint didn't stick perfectly, but it works.

should be the last images in the album, but here is a direct link to see the slack. https://photos.app.goo.gl/tztBkXSsij6UFPTs9

I am looking at the CLOYES C3013K (cheap and stock) or the CLOYES C3079X heavy duty double roller with straight up and +/- 4deg keyways.

The water pump backer plate looked good, but will be replacing all gaskets. the water pump itself, the harmonic balancer, and thermostat.

The 3013 is a hy-vo chain but you can see the crank keyway isn't aligned with the tooth....

The HD 3079 one you show doesn't appear to have true rollers, but is miles ahead of the retarded 3013*

Did you look at a basic replacement chain for an '88 & up 7.5?

The 3013 is a hy-vo chain but you can see the crank keyway isn't aligned with the tooth....

The HD 3079 one you show doesn't appear to have true rollers, but is miles ahead of the retarded 3013*

Did you look at a basic replacement chain for an '88 & up 7.5?

The Melling 3-168SD is stock replacement for the EFI engines.

It's $41.79 from Rockauto.

3-168SD-1-KIT__ra_p.jpg.55389b7ffa276dca7204a9957b805708.jpg

OEM is the Mahle SEP79.

Summit has it for $74.99.

mah-93079_vw_xl.jpg.a10657d9a58ca8d08655b45223f181b8.jpg

Neither of these have any adjustment. They are both "straight up"

They are Discontinued/NLA through FoMoCo parts system.

https://www.wholesalefordpartsfast.com/oem-parts/ford-timing-chain-d4tz6268a?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz1lbmdpbmUmbD0zNCZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPWZvcmQmbz1mLTM1MCZ5PTE5OTAmdD14bCZlPTctNWwtdjgtZ2Fz

https://www.wholesalefordpartsfast.com/oem-parts/ford-camshaft-gear-d9hz6256a?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz1lbmdpbmUmbD0zMiZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPWZvcmQmbz1mLTM1MCZ5PTE5OTAmdD14bCZlPTctNWwtdjgtZ2Fz

https://www.wholesalefordpartsfast.com/oem-parts/ford-crankshaft-gear-e7tz6306b?c=Zz1lbmdpbmUmcz1lbmdpbmUmbD0zMyZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPWZvcmQmbz1mLTM1MCZ5PTE5OTAmdD14bCZlPTctNWwtdjgtZ2Fz

Thanks for the link. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yeah, wow! that's flapping around in the breeze.

The cam teeth look pretty spent.

Was the chain loose enough that it made contact with the inside of the timing case?

Is your fuel pump eccentric not spinning? Or is it just really dirty because the PO never changed the oil?

Was the chain loose enough that it made contact with the inside of the timing case?

Is your fuel pump eccentric not spinning? Or is it just really dirty because the PO never changed the oil?

Thanks for the part numbers. i am going to stick with the C3079x due to shipping from rock auto. parts will be here in a week.

The mechanical fuel pump was working.

this engine bay will be getting a bath today.

• 2 weeks later...

got the new parts in. installed the timing chain, and water pump. went to install the harmonic balancer and noticed that the timing marks are very different from the one i took off. I have added pictures to the album in my signature, but the link below is to the best picture.

the one i took off had 30btdc in line with the keyway (opposite side)

the new one has 30ATDC lined up.

I stopped for the night to figure this out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hsriYD1U4W5HWUPF8

got the new parts in. installed the timing chain, and water pump. went to install the harmonic balancer and noticed that the timing marks are very different from the one i took off. I have added pictures to the album in my signature, but the link below is to the best picture.

the one i took off had 30btdc in line with the keyway (opposite side)

the new one has 30ATDC lined up.

I stopped for the night to figure this out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hsriYD1U4W5HWUPF8

60° out seems like it could never work.

That old harmonic damper looks in rough shape.

Have you considered that the ring with the timing marks might have spun?

Because that's what happens when the rubber loses it's bond.

Do you recall where the timing marks were when you had to rotate the distributor way around to get the truck to run?

60° out seems like it could never work.

That old harmonic damper looks in rough shape.

Have you considered that the ring with the timing marks might have spun?

Because that's what happens when the rubber loses it's bond.

Do you recall where the timing marks were when you had to rotate the distributor way around to get the truck to run?

I agree - the old damper looks rough. And the new one looks just like the one I put on Big Blue.

I'd find TDC and see where the marks on the damper go.

I agree - the old damper looks rough. And the new one looks just like the one I put on Big Blue.

I'd find TDC and see where the marks on the damper go.

I have considered that it spun. Especially with the rubber pushed away. But it was running ok at 28btdc.

The old one has marks for 30btdc to 10atdc. The new one is 10btdc to 40 atdc.