Bullnose Forums

All Crank No Start

Aron

Hello, I've had trouble getting my truck started, it has sit for 10 plus years before I got it. The main things I have done are the return lines and brand new Motorcraft glow plugs. The Truck will start and idle happily with just a little bit of ether, and will also if you stay on the stater long enough. I have heated the glow plugs manually and still nothing. What else could it be??

I'm not the diesel expert but doesn't it have a glow plug relay? it seems that you should be able to test it to see if it is operating the glow pugs properly. other than that, it seems like a fuel delivery problem.

Yep it's working properly, I've manually jumped it and I'm getting power to the glow plugs and it still didn't start, I just don't see how it can be a fuel problem if it idles perfectly with a little ether.

Yep it's working properly, I've manually jumped it and I'm getting power to the glow plugs and it still didn't start, I just don't see how it can be a fuel problem if it idles perfectly with a little ether.

idk. that seems like a clue to me. how well does is run beyond idle or with a load?

idk. that seems like a clue to me. how well does is run beyond idle or with a load?

It runs like a top, I had one problem when I first got it started and road legal. The metering value got stuck and kept killing the engine, I've been running atf and its not had the problem since.

It runs like a top, I had one problem when I first got it started and road legal. The metering value got stuck and kept killing the engine, I've been running atf and its not had the problem since.

again, I'm no diesel expert. metering value? and running atf where?

but it really seems like the shortcoming is to do with glow plugs if cold start is your issue. it's exactly what they are for and the only reason it has them.

again, I'm no diesel expert. metering value? and running atf where?

but it really seems like the shortcoming is to do with glow plugs if cold start is your issue. it's exactly what they are for and the only reason it has them.

Metering valve, in the injection pump...

I'm no diesel expert but any fuel system that has been sitting for 10 years is suspect and probably needs to be cleaned and resealed. I'm not sure some ATF is going to fix it if that valve has been stuck to it's seat all that time.

Have you energized the shutoff solenoid and hear it moving freely without trying to start the engine?

Injection pumps are like brain surgery to me. Incredibly delicate and not something I want to mess with, personally.

Metering valve, in the injection pump...

I'm no diesel expert but any fuel system that has been sitting for 10 years is suspect and probably needs to be cleaned and resealed. I'm not sure some ATF is going to fix it if that valve has been stuck to it's seat all that time.

Have you energized the shutoff solenoid and hear it moving freely without trying to start the engine?

Injection pumps are like brain surgery to me. Incredibly delicate and not something I want to mess with, personally.

Yeah I domt much care for messing with them either. I haven't tried the shutoff solenoid, I figured if it starts and runs fine with a little ether it couldn't be it but I will try it thank you.

Yeah I domt much care for messing with them either. I haven't tried the shutoff solenoid, I figured if it starts and runs fine with a little ether it couldn't be it but I will try it thank you.

As far as diesels go 6.9's are stone simple and very reliable in my experience.

But I have met a few that don't want to start without a shot of juice.

I have a friend with an '88 dually that was this way. Chasing our tail with new injectors and such.... 🙄

Try putting the key on and plugging/unplugging the solenoid rapidly.

Listen closely.

It may be that it is stuck or failing, and the rattling from a running engine is enough to get it to open.

But if the fuel system had a bunch of rust in it that's a nightmare no matter how many filters you change.

As far as diesels go 6.9's are stone simple and very reliable in my experience.

But I have met a few that don't want to start without a shot of juice.

I have a friend with an '88 dually that was this way. Chasing our tail with new injectors and such.... 🙄

Try putting the key on and plugging/unplugging the solenoid rapidly.

Listen closely.

It may be that it is stuck or failing, and the rattling from a running engine is enough to get it to open.

But if the fuel system had a bunch of rust in it that's a nightmare no matter how many filters you change.

Alright ill try that thanks for the help.