Bullnose Forums

85 F-150 5.8 HO alternator front mounting bracket

My alternator is attached to the engine block withy a long bolt with a spacer sleeve and several washers and the adjuster underneath, it functions but vibrates and squeals and eventually will probably snap off .

The alternator sets back a bit and has a double pulley. is there a bracket kit available to remedy this problem?

Thank you.

the best fix for the problem if you are not concerned with originality, would be to convert it to a serpentine belt system. this is a big job, and many are doing it but it involves many systems on the truck. I have done many and I'm doing one currently. however.. I don't throw anything away as my will attest to. I'm sure I have whatever bracket that you may be missing if we can identify it. by saying that you have a stack of washers is a clue to proper bracket/s being missing.

the best fix for the problem if you are not concerned with originality, would be to convert it to a serpentine belt system. this is a big job, and many are doing it but it involves many systems on the truck. I have done many and I'm doing one currently. however.. I don't throw anything away as my will attest to. I'm sure I have whatever bracket that you may be missing if we can identify it. by saying that you have a stack of washers is a clue to proper bracket/s being missing.

silly me . I keep trying to click onto your picture to zoom in.:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Mat,. Has someone removed his AIR pump without replacing the bracket?

Hard to see on my phone, but without some kind of stay between pivot and water pump the alternator is always out of line.

Going serpentine is a big job that necessitates pulling the power steering pump, changing crank pulleys, alternator, etc....

An aftermarket alternator bracket is available and is much less work.

Mat,. Has someone removed his AIR pump without replacing the bracket?

Hard to see on my phone, but without some kind of stay between pivot and water pump the alternator is always out of line.

Going serpentine is a big job that necessitates pulling the power steering pump, changing crank pulleys, alternator, etc....

An aftermarket alternator bracket is available and is much less work.

Thanks for the replies, where might I find such a bracket.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies, where might I find such a bracket.

Thanks again.

I just converted my truck to the serpentine system and have all the old brackets up for grabs. See this thread:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Leftover-parts-from-my-serpentine-belt-swap-tp115626.html

If you (or someone) can identify the bracket you need from that pile, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

I just converted my truck to the serpentine system and have all the old brackets up for grabs. See this thread:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Leftover-parts-from-my-serpentine-belt-swap-tp115626.html

If you (or someone) can identify the bracket you need from that pile, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

The alternator bracket appears to be the double 'C' shaped piece, center bottom.

I would probably take the adjuster arm with long bolt that appears at 7:00 beneath the crank pulley with it if I were you.

Very generous offer Pete.

Thank you for showing the Bullnose spirit! :nabble_anim_claps: