Bullnose Forums

Filler neck vent pipe repair question

Mark

I dropped my tank to clean out the "gas" that would be better suited as deck stain. In the process I found where 2 holes had been plugged with god knows what, but appeared to be Bondo and RTV so I'm starting over with a new tank. My filler hose was trash, I've got a new one on order from filler neck.com the inner vent hose is still stable enough to use, with the exception of the bottom 5-6 inches breaking off 🥴 and I'm to blame for that! What I'm wondering is if I were to get a piece of copper tubing and sleeve it inside both pieces acting as stint, would that work? Has anyone got a better fix for this ? I can't locate a replacement part Short of the hour trip to the JY.

Here's a picture of what I'm working with.

20220320_150525.jpg.7273b5c732f8044bfe655b13727eb6fb.jpg

20220320_150532.jpg.eb0247dbc65168dd636508bebb17bfa2.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it will work. but that's only part. I have done it with using copper tubing only on rear tanks, but you cannot do it as easily on the midship tank. I'm guessing that you pulled it from the filler tube side, and it stuck in the tank. its best to remove the fill hose and tube together but you know that now. if you are going to repair it you may be better to form one completely of 5/8 od copper following the fill hose and vent length. at least you won't be bothered with clamps etc. just install all on the tank first then fish it up into place and while the tank is sitting as low as possible in the straps put the filler tube back together and in place with the clamps loose before setting the tank tight. I'm starting to think I have done too many pumps :nabble_anim_confused:

it will work. but that's only part. I have done it with using copper tubing only on rear tanks, but you cannot do it as easily on the midship tank. I'm guessing that you pulled it from the filler tube side, and it stuck in the tank. its best to remove the fill hose and tube together but you know that now. if you are going to repair it you may be better to form one completely of 5/8 od copper following the fill hose and vent length. at least you won't be bothered with clamps etc. just install all on the tank first then fish it up into place and while the tank is sitting as low as possible in the straps put the filler tube back together and in place with the clamps loose before setting the tank tight. I'm starting to think I have done too many pumps :nabble_anim_confused:

Thanks mat, I agree, making the entire piece with copper sounds like the better approach. I've got rain coming into my area tomorrow so that'll at least give me a piece of bench work I can get done. I appreciate the help.

20180512_103331.jpg.0070110b1bf81b233ccacc4d5baf14f4.jpg

20180512_104127.jpg.cee9baf4b851594a3d979e113a95a9f3.jpg

20180512_105204.jpg.af5f7e0c01eb47796c51ac1d4572b21a.jpg

As Mat said it was on my rear tank on my flare side and if you know our trucks there was never a rear tank option on flare sides.

If you look you will see I used hose clamps on it so it would not come undone.

I also used exh pipe to join the outer hose together with clamps too.

I dont see why you could not use it on the front tank also.

I will say with a working vent hose you can fill the tanks as fast as the pump will pump.

Dave ----

As Mat said it was on my rear tank on my flare side and if you know our trucks there was never a rear tank option on flare sides.

If you look you will see I used hose clamps on it so it would not come undone.

I also used exh pipe to join the outer hose together with clamps too.

I dont see why you could not use it on the front tank also.

I will say with a working vent hose you can fill the tanks as fast as the pump will pump.

Dave ----

Thanks Dave 👍

my flare side came with both tanks. and I use them a LOT! but dolly is a "93" so you got me .

If it dose not have chains for the tail gate its not a real flare side :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

I was watching for an f100 when I found this one. light damage and 400$. let's just say that was a couple grand ago. haha . now my daily driver shop truck. patina paint job, modified (but stock looking)5.0 with modified aod. both sway bars, traction bars and even a wood bed liner with rails. farm truck. kinda.

I was watching for an f100 when I found this one. light damage and 400$. let's just say that was a couple grand ago. haha . now my daily driver shop truck. patina paint job, modified (but stock looking)5.0 with modified aod. both sway bars, traction bars and even a wood bed liner with rails. farm truck. kinda.

IS there a way to fashion a makeshift vent tube? Mine has a new tank but the filler tube is all boogered up. The neck is punched out and apparently no vent tube. Anything I can do to make something that would not involve dropping the tank and ordering parts that don't always work properly.

Thanks mat, I agree, making the entire piece with copper sounds like the better approach. I've got rain coming into my area tomorrow so that'll at least give me a piece of bench work I can get done. I appreciate the help.

Now that I am not in as much pain (gal bladder out) and going back over this I see you said copper to replace the line and it reminded me someone did this (other forum?) but used PEX pipe in think 1/2" size.

I cant remember if he used yellow or blue but he tested it in gas before he used it to make sure it would be OK and not melt.The hardest part I see is bending it and then fitting it inside the filler hose and hooking everything back up where it needs to be.

So that maybe something to look into also.

Dave ----