Bullnose Forums

Starter solenoid? Starter? Wiring?

Mark

The new relay does infact pass all the tests you listed 👍 so I feel like I'm good to that point.

I DON'T think I'm good to the point of this voltage regulator. One of the wires that is in it's harness is the red wire with a blue stripe. A wire I know is part of the ignition. I'm thinking THIS is part of, if not the cause of my ignition woes.

Again I absolutely could be wrong but if I can eliminate that (new voltage regulator) at the very least I'll have peace of mind and can move forward.

Can you post a pic of your starter relay please - a sanity check on the wiring.

Can you post a pic of your starter relay please - a sanity check on the wiring.

Yes sir, and again guys I apologize for all the questions, this is the oldest vehicle I've ever really worked on, so I'm learning. I appreciate all your help.

20220311_140549_1.jpg.8e63d4c85c257f3bc29dc3367a857fa7.jpg

I've got voltage in all settings. Gonna try a napa relay now and see what happens.

Note that NAPA and others carry 2 or more lines of parts.

Most people want the cheapest so thats what is looked up and given out as a replacement.

I went with top of the line NAPA relay and have not had any issues with it.

Dave ----

The new relay does infact pass all the tests you listed 👍 so I feel like I'm good to that point.

I DON'T think I'm good to the point of this voltage regulator. One of the wires that is in it's harness is the red wire with a blue stripe. A wire I know is part of the ignition. I'm thinking THIS is part of, if not the cause of my ignition woes.

Again I absolutely could be wrong but if I can eliminate that (new voltage regulator) at the very least I'll have peace of mind and can move forward.

Good, good progress then. Have you tried to hook up all the starter wires and crank it from the key?

Good, good progress then. Have you tried to hook up all the starter wires and crank it from the key?

Yes tried to start, battery was drained. Tested battery it was at something like 5V so got the jump box out, jump box threw a fault saying the cables were crossed. I knew they weren't. So I stopped. Went back through the test you had given me, just to make sure I hadn't inadvertently damaged anything. (I didn't think I had, but wanted a measure to be sure) so with only limited time I started looking for a short, found the hole in the voltage regulator and changed a few wires that I knew I needed to replace. And that's where I left it for the day.

I've got voltage in all settings. Gonna try a napa relay now and see what happens.

Most people want the cheapest so thats what is looked up and given out as a replacement.

Dave ----

Yes for sure, I've been building a 4.0l jeep grand Cherokee for the better part of the past 7-8 years and normally use NAPA However my local store has staffing issues as of late and there are days that even if I order online to store I might get there and find they are closed. But yes very familiar with them.

Dave ----

Yes for sure, I've been building a 4.0l jeep grand Cherokee for the better part of the past 7-8 years and normally use NAPA However my local store has staffing issues as of late and there are days that even if I order online to store I might get there and find they are closed. But yes very familiar with them.

Problem SOLVED!!! And man do I feel like a nincompoop!

So when I installed the one wire distributor I read the ignition simplification document, that by the way is perfect! What's not perfect was that I should have read through the instructions slowly and made sure I was comprehending it. I used the large yellow wire that can provide 12v as my keyed source, and ran my power from my solenoid when in fact I should have been using the white/lt.blue wire that had previously ran over to the coil.

I shorted a battery in this process, and I'm surprised I didn't do more damage ☠️

Thankfully I'm starting and running all with the key. And in the process I removed all the wiring that I will not be needing. More lessons taught to me by the 40 Year old truck. Lots and lots of fine tuning to do in the near future, but I feel like I won this battle.....or at least I'm telling my self I have 😂

Problem SOLVED!!! And man do I feel like a nincompoop!

So when I installed the one wire distributor I read the ignition simplification document, that by the way is perfect! What's not perfect was that I should have read through the instructions slowly and made sure I was comprehending it. I used the large yellow wire that can provide 12v as my keyed source, and ran my power from my solenoid when in fact I should have been using the white/lt.blue wire that had previously ran over to the coil.

I shorted a battery in this process, and I'm surprised I didn't do more damage ☠️

Thankfully I'm starting and running all with the key. And in the process I removed all the wiring that I will not be needing. More lessons taught to me by the 40 Year old truck. Lots and lots of fine tuning to do in the near future, but I feel like I won this battle.....or at least I'm telling my self I have 😂

Congrat's! Glad you got it figured out. :nabble_smiley_good: