Bullnose Forums

Ford Tailgate Lettering

JMUBullnose

I always paint them.

And that is how the factory did it. That is if it did not have the panel across the tail gate of the style sides.

Also if you look at factory painted letters you will see they don't have shape edges from tape.

I have not done this yet but what I found for painting letters, the factory roll painted on the letters.

A soft rubber roller, think I seen 4" wide, that they used in block printing is used.

For paint they used 1 shot pin striping paint. They put some on paper to pull out some of the liquid.

They then roll the roller thru to get paint on it then do a letter, get more paint on roller and next letter, etc.

They say to practice on the gate before you get paint on the gate so you have a clue how it works.

So if you feel artistic and want factory painted letters you now know how.

Dave ----

I always paint them.

And that is how the factory did it. That is if it did not have the panel across the tail gate of the style sides.

Also if you look at factory painted letters you will see they don't have shape edges from tape.

I have not done this yet but what I found for painting letters, the factory roll painted on the letters.

A soft rubber roller, think I seen 4" wide, that they used in block printing is used.

For paint they used 1 shot pin striping paint. They put some on paper to pull out some of the liquid.

They then roll the roller thru to get paint on it then do a letter, get more paint on roller and next letter, etc.

They say to practice on the gate before you get paint on the gate so you have a clue how it works.

So if you feel artistic and want factory painted letters you now know how.

Dave ----

I like that approach, Dave. I'm hoping you'll document it when you do it so others can learn the technique.

I like that approach, Dave. I'm hoping you'll document it when you do it so others can learn the technique.

I will, need to finish prepping the tail gate and get it in primer before I give this a try.

The 1 art supply store I hit did not have the right size roller, to skinny for my liking.

Will have the wife get one thru Amazon the next time she orders something.

The One Shot paint they say you can get thru Eastwood but will try my local auto paint supplier first when the time comes.

Dave ----

I will, need to finish prepping the tail gate and get it in primer before I give this a try.

The 1 art supply store I hit did not have the right size roller, to skinny for my liking.

Will have the wife get one thru Amazon the next time she orders something.

The One Shot paint they say you can get thru Eastwood but will try my local auto paint supplier first when the time comes.

Dave ----

Sounds like a plan. We'll figure out a good place to put your how-to.