Bullnose Forums

New carb AOD transmission TV connection

Mark

And to continue the AOD story, it became the AOD-E when the gearset was modified to use a hydraulically locked converter, then became the 4R70W and finally the 4R75W as Ford changed their transmission IDs to make the fit and number of gears part of the model designation, same as GM did. Part of this is due to Ford and GM sharing transmissions (4R100 for Ford 4L100 for GM, 6F50 for Ford, 6T50 for GM).

One on the things to also keep in mind is the intended use and base weight of the vehicle the transmission was used in. I had a 1970 1/2 Falcon station wagon which was roughly the same size/weight as an 80s LTD wagon, probably around 4000 lbs empty Look at your empty weight on Lucille. The other wagon I had (replacing the Falcon after my oldest son ripped the right rear fender open) was a 1971 Mercury Colony Park, a bit over 5200 lbs empty. Falcon had a 302 and C4 until my late wife blew 2nd gear in it. After that it had a small block pattern C6. The Mercury had a 429 2 barrel, which quickly grew 2 more once I found that the only difference mechanically was intake and carb.

To put the comparison the rest of the way, when I acquired Darth in 1994, I figured I (a) no longer needed the Mercury wagon for towing trailers and (b) could carry 5 passengers in Darth. I only really lost the roof rack and rear jump seat capability. Darth weighs 6400 lbs (certified) empty including near fumes in both tanks but a 100 lb aluminum camper shell. I think my 1970 LTD Brougham 2dr weighed around 4800 lbs.

On trucks, look at the GVW, for Darth it's 10K, since the truck was titled in Maine and they do not record weights, the clerk at the DMV branch just looked up the weight for an F350 crew cab and came up with 5500 lbs. I use regular, not T series VA plates on him as a result, the plates are for up to 7500 lbs GVW so 5500 + 2000 = 7500, work for me.

I use the aod every chance I get. true, it's not as strong as the c6. c6 is a fair benchmark for many of us. the aod that I have in dolly paired with a "warm" efi 5.0 runs through 3.73 rear gear and it's a blast to drive.

I rarely pull a trailer but it's my shop truck haha. running parts, carrying engines. axles, trans and often for 500 miles a day. I use later model cores to build them as they have all the upgrades. earlier years were certainly the weakest. 84 falls into the weak category. how you use it is really the point. the MOST critical issue is getting the throttle valve adjustment correct! this cannot be stressed enough. itis absolutely best to set it by static pressure method using a gauge. absent of that, know that a "LITTLE" tight is better than a little loose. loose will allow slipping clutches leading to a rebuild but tight will provide harsh shifts. so, by saying a little, I mean a little.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the aod every chance I get. true, it's not as strong as the c6. c6 is a fair benchmark for many of us. the aod that I have in dolly paired with a "warm" efi 5.0 runs through 3.73 rear gear and it's a blast to drive.

I rarely pull a trailer but it's my shop truck haha. running parts, carrying engines. axles, trans and often for 500 miles a day. I use later model cores to build them as they have all the upgrades. earlier years were certainly the weakest. 84 falls into the weak category. how you use it is really the point. the MOST critical issue is getting the throttle valve adjustment correct! this cannot be stressed enough. itis absolutely best to set it by static pressure method using a gauge. absent of that, know that a "LITTLE" tight is better than a little loose. loose will allow slipping clutches leading to a rebuild but tight will provide harsh shifts. so, by saying a little, I mean a little.

I appreciate all the info, I've got the carburetor completed earlier today. Completely rebuilt. Polished and should be good to go. I'll revisit it in a few days once I complete the ignition. I'm moving slooooowly and methodically through this build, I'm not a fan of having to rework things so attempting to get it exact as I go.

I appreciate all the information you all are sharing, I'm cautious of forums because I've seen folks that are trying to learn get absolutely torched for asking a basic question. I walked away from a jeep forum because I saw a lot of that. So THANKS Y'ALL!

I appreciate all the info, I've got the carburetor completed earlier today. Completely rebuilt. Polished and should be good to go. I'll revisit it in a few days once I complete the ignition. I'm moving slooooowly and methodically through this build, I'm not a fan of having to rework things so attempting to get it exact as I go.

I appreciate all the information you all are sharing, I'm cautious of forums because I've seen folks that are trying to learn get absolutely torched for asking a basic question. I walked away from a jeep forum because I saw a lot of that. So THANKS Y'ALL!

Our guidelines say that, among other things, we are "Constructive: No talking down nor "yelling" at others.". And we've banned people for not following them.

There is definitely a fine line on the AOD throttle settings between "jerk your back teeth loose and hunt between 3 and 4 at 55 mph and ooze into each gear like a worn out turbo Hydramatic".

Those of us who are old enough to have dealt with TV adjustments on the old 4 speed Hydramatics, especially the single coupling ones learned that the book adjustment will get you close, but you still have to do some "drive it and tweak it" fine tuning. The Roto-hydramatics are even worse, the shift from coupling to all mechanical is compounded by going from a roughly 3:1 gear to a little more than 1.5:1 gear so it is like skipping a gear. as a result the clutch pack takes a beating on those.

Rick - I'm not trying to debate about the AOD. I'm just trying to make sure we have facts. Yes, when fuel injected the 5.0L did have more torque than the 4.9L. But for 5 of the 7 Bullnose years many of the 4.9's had more torque than the 5.0L. And even in '85 they were still selling the 2V 5.0L which put out 250 lb-ft.

In other words, we can't really give a blanket statement that the 5.0L had more torque than the 4.9L w/o knowing the year and the application.

Kind of off the subject, but if any of you watch the channel "vice grip garage" on YouTube. He released an episode yesterday and he's installed a GM style HEI distributor on a 300 6. I watch him all the time and I've seen lots of query's about that very install. Might be something worth passing on to others.

Kind of off the subject, but if any of you watch the channel "vice grip garage" on YouTube. He released an episode yesterday and he's installed a GM style HEI distributor on a 300 6. I watch him all the time and I've seen lots of query's about that very install. Might be something worth passing on to others.

hei seems to be frowned on around here. although we do use them with great success on non efi builds. i will be using one on my current build. hard to beat the simplicity. I only wish that I could buy one made in America

hei seems to be frowned on around here. although we do use them with great success on non efi builds. i will be using one on my current build. hard to beat the simplicity. I only wish that I could buy one made in America

just reading through the posts they definitely seem to be an item that's a hot topic. 🤷 Good video though for someone wanting to do the conversion.

just reading through the posts they definitely seem to be an item that's a hot topic. 🤷 Good video though for someone wanting to do the conversion.

The issue is in v8 motors there is not a lot of room for the BIG HEI.

The air filter housing hits and / or you cant turn the dist. enough to get it timed.

Now on the 300 six there is nothing in the way so it is a lot easier swap from TFI to HEI.

But going from points to HEI I just cant see doing as you can get a Pertronix unit to drop in place of the points and never have to do anything again.

BTW I took a HEI from a GM 250 six motor and it was a drop in to a Toyota L/C 238 six motor and woke it up big time.

Dave ----

The air filter housing hits and / or you cant turn the dist. enough to get it timed.

Now on the 300 six there is nothing in the way so it is a lot easier swap from TFI to HEI.

But going from points to HEI I just cant see doing as you can get a Pertronix unit to drop in place of the points and never have to do anything again.

BTW I took a HEI from a GM 250 six motor and it was a drop in to a Toyota L/C 238 six motor and woke it up big time.

Dave ----

it is certainly bulky on a 5.0! I also have had to clearance an intake once before but let's just say the intake was made of the same grade of chinesium.

Dave ----

Dave, that is not real surprising as I had heard for years that the Land Cruiser 6 was a copy of the old Chevy 235 engine.