Bullnose Forums

300 timing cover seal

Sac79

I installed mine from the outside of the cover. That's how the original seal was installed.

That said, I had to buy a few before I got one that fit. The one in the gasket set I ordered was a fail (too big, wouldn't fit the cover). The next one was too old to safely use (looks like a part from the 60's!). Third time was the charm.

I installed mine from the outside of the cover. That's how the original seal was installed.

That said, I had to buy a few before I got one that fit. The one in the gasket set I ordered was a fail (too big, wouldn't fit the cover). The next one was too old to safely use (looks like a part from the 60's!). Third time was the charm.

Mine was a good fit first time, Felt-Pro kit IIRC

Dave ----

Oh no, definitely not(in reference to the original installation method). Why would the shop manual demonstrate installation from the inside and the seal that is required(recommended for some I guess) only fit that way?

I definitely believe that someone at some point thought that was too much work and simply tried a few seals until they found one that fit from the outside. Or they just thought it was a dumb design(I agree there). But they still had to remove the original from the inside... I guess they were anticipating having to replace it again? Maybe that's what happened to yours at some point. The outside lip is tiny, I would personally never have thought to do that. As far as I can tell, the timing cover never changed on the 300, but maybe it did and you and Dave have a different one?

Oh no, definitely not(in reference to the original installation method). Why would the shop manual demonstrate installation from the inside and the seal that is required(recommended for some I guess) only fit that way?

I definitely believe that someone at some point thought that was too much work and simply tried a few seals until they found one that fit from the outside. Or they just thought it was a dumb design(I agree there). But they still had to remove the original from the inside... I guess they were anticipating having to replace it again? Maybe that's what happened to yours at some point. The outside lip is tiny, I would personally never have thought to do that. As far as I can tell, the timing cover never changed on the 300, but maybe it did and you and Dave have a different one?

I did finish the installation yesterday and went for a drive today. So far so good, went about 30 miles(the trip meter stopped working:nabble_smiley_argh: always something) and it's bone dry. Will check again tomorrow.