Bullnose Forums

Jacking tips

baddog8it

I had to look up DAHIK/DAMHIK.

I hadn't come across those acronyms before. Maybe from before my time ?

Popularized in the early internet era ? Back when I was playing computer games on Windows 95 :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

At least as far as Usenet & BBS back in the '80's

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least as far as Usenet & BBS back in the '80's

I had cousins living in the US already at that time. We thought it was the coolest thing when they visited us and used Telnet to do 'whatever'... and then when Yahoo e-mail became available we would regularly email them back and forth via dial-up. I am pretty sure my email is still active (viven44... well I logged in.. they cleaned up the inbox ;().. It really felt like a long-distance deal. Our dial-up internet was charged like a local call ($$$/min) and while we were online the landline phone was inactive... so we used internet about 3-5 mins to download all emails early in the morning, work on replies and put stuff in the outbox and connect again later at night just to send.

I had cousins living in the US already at that time. We thought it was the coolest thing when they visited us and used Telnet to do 'whatever'... and then when Yahoo e-mail became available we would regularly email them back and forth via dial-up. I am pretty sure my email is still active (viven44... well I logged in.. they cleaned up the inbox ;().. It really felt like a long-distance deal. Our dial-up internet was charged like a local call ($$$/min) and while we were online the landline phone was inactive... so we used internet about 3-5 mins to download all emails early in the morning, work on replies and put stuff in the outbox and connect again later at night just to send.

I had dial-up with a discounted 2nd line for the computer through Bell-Atlantic. Then they came through with DSL and we thought we had died and gone to heaven. I decided to upgrade, and I can't remember who I wanted to use, but they would have to run a new line to support the higher speeds. We had Cox for TV, and they could give us true high speed internet easily so I went with them. When Verizon came out with there version, FIOS, they tried to get me to go with them, but past experience with Verizon, had me leary of them, so I stayed with Cox.

Here on Virginia's appendix, Mary had dial-up, then DSL. When Charter changed their name to Spectrum I contaced them regarding cable after ditching Direct TV for Dish network, who then screwed us over the New Years firewoks on NBC (they were in arguments with the owners of the local NBC affiliate), I had set up my Amazon Firestick to recieve WNBC directly, Dish blocked it and gave me a song and dance over it. Dish went away as fast as I could get Spectrum down here. I went phone and TV as they did not have internet here. My intenet is ESVBA (Easten Shore of Virginia Broadband Authority) and being a government agency, no taxes. I am paying for their basic service, but typically get much higher speeds.

I had dial-up with a discounted 2nd line for the computer through Bell-Atlantic. Then they came through with DSL and we thought we had died and gone to heaven. I decided to upgrade, and I can't remember who I wanted to use, but they would have to run a new line to support the higher speeds. We had Cox for TV, and they could give us true high speed internet easily so I went with them. When Verizon came out with there version, FIOS, they tried to get me to go with them, but past experience with Verizon, had me leary of them, so I stayed with Cox.

Here on Virginia's appendix, Mary had dial-up, then DSL. When Charter changed their name to Spectrum I contaced them regarding cable after ditching Direct TV for Dish network, who then screwed us over the New Years firewoks on NBC (they were in arguments with the owners of the local NBC affiliate), I had set up my Amazon Firestick to recieve WNBC directly, Dish blocked it and gave me a song and dance over it. Dish went away as fast as I could get Spectrum down here. I went phone and TV as they did not have internet here. My intenet is ESVBA (Easten Shore of Virginia Broadband Authority) and being a government agency, no taxes. I am paying for their basic service, but typically get much higher speeds.

It's amazing how far we have come since Dial-up, now that's real ground-breaking innovation!!!

It's amazing how far we have come since Dial-up, now that's real ground-breaking innovation!!!

I remember stuffing the phone handset into a teletype.

In the mid '80's I sold satellite air time for video conferences on the Westar network.

Back in the '90's I was so good at mimicking 56k dialup people would think it was real.

Then digital subscriber links.

Then came T1 lines, where you could actually get a video feed without buffering (lame resolution, but still....)

Today almost anyone can pull a tiny computer out of their pocket and have a 4k or 720p conversation with anywhere else on the planet.

The amount of available bandwidth is truly mind boggling!