Bullnose Forums

Jacking tips

baddog8it

Both Blue and Big Blue have done their share of work, if towing Chevrolets is work. (Maybe that's fun for a Ford? :nabble_anim_confused:) But not every day. Typically they sit and wait for another chance to shine as we have more efficient vehicles for the mundane stuff.

But, hopefully Big Blue will get to do some long-distance trips next year, as well as some "off-roading", although that will be limited to going places rather than seriously testing the mettle of the vehicle and/or driver. In any event, places where the high lift jack might be useful.

Light bar, not likely. However, I will say that lots of the ranchers around here, and there are a lot of ranches and ranchers, have light bars on trucks that are USED daily.

But 20's with little rubber bands wrapped around them are a bent wheel or blown tire waiting to happen. No thanks!

I didn't even know this type of "bottle jack" existed until yesterday:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7Y678W

It looks like it would be a handy shop tool, too. Or a really-powerful linear actuator (depending how the "down" button works) for riding-mower implements.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't even know this type of "bottle jack" existed until yesterday:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7Y678W

It looks like it would be a handy shop tool, too. Or a really-powerful linear actuator (depending how the "down" button works) for riding-mower implements.

I'd seen that one as an option a few months ago when I was looking for a jack stand. But it wasn't what I was looking for so passed. Now, having looked at it again it might be an option. But make sure you try the one you get as apparently some of them leak. However, there are always problems with anything and the 4 start rating is pretty good.

• 4 years later...

I'd seen that one as an option a few months ago when I was looking for a jack stand. But it wasn't what I was looking for so passed. Now, having looked at it again it might be an option. But make sure you try the one you get as apparently some of them leak. However, there are always problems with anything and the 4 start rating is pretty good.

If using a floor jack on soft ground, I used to put a board under just the front wheels.

I finally figured out that I needed a board under the entire jack in order to allow the wheeld to naturally follow the changing jacking point.

If using a floor jack on soft ground, I used to put a board under just the front wheels.

I finally figured out that I needed a board under the entire jack in order to allow the wheeld to naturally follow the changing jacking point.

Yes, Joe, that is right. Both wheels on a floor jack need to be able to turn as the arm of the jack goes up in an arc. So the jack gets drawn farther under the vehicle as the arm goes up. But if the jack can't move the vehicle will try to move.

Yes, Joe, that is right. Both wheels on a floor jack need to be able to turn as the arm of the jack goes up in an arc. So the jack gets drawn farther under the vehicle as the arm goes up. But if the jack can't move the vehicle will try to move.

And if the wheels are well chocked the jack pad will slip off your pumpkin and stove in the front of your 5 month old gas tank! :nabble_smiley_hurt:

• 5 weeks later...

Oh yeah!

:nabble_smiley_whistling:

I had to look up DAHIK/DAMHIK.

I hadn't come across those acronyms before. Maybe from before my time ?

Popularized in the early internet era ? Back when I was playing computer games on Windows 95 :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: