Bullnose Forums

Dave's '82 F100 Work In Progress...

Djtorello

Minor update i suppose.

I had a partial week off to working on the truck, Was supposed to be a full week, but after finding out my dad has been giving the neighbors the parts and materials i've been collecting for the truck, I spent much of my vacation tracking down the stuff. My dad's 80, and definitely think his memory is going. Any way, here is the little bit i accomplished.

Emptied out the cowl and hvac ducting of leaves and wasps, installed new blower motor, added mesh to cowl, new wiper arms for hook style wiper blades. Replaced the rear shocks, and the upper shock mounts.

Replaced only 1 rear leaf spring bushing. I tried unsuccessfully to press the bushing out, which seem to make things worse. I had to burn the bushing out, new poly bushing went in with no issues, then i was unable to realign the leaf spring with its mounting location. I tried unsuccessfully to remove the rear shackle, one half of the plastic lower bushing fell out, the other side i could not get out, as it was right up against the frame. As well as the top bolt from the shackle was right up against the bed, how the Firetruck (starts with F, ends with uck) do you get it out without removing the leaf spring from the axle and without removing the bed? I've watch multiple video's on the removal and replacement of those bushings, and i had nothing but problems. It took my nearly 8 hours to replace 1 bushings and realign the leaf spring. What a mess.

I was able to remove the rear gas tank, even though the trailer hitch was welded too it, that took about 3 hours. I replaced most of the fuel line for the rear tank, the old nasty steel lines were replaced with Nicopp lines, and the hose sections were replaced as well, with suitable rated fuel hose. Also added an inline fuel filter before the new tank switch. However the new tank switch is currently bypassed, Since the new rear plastic tank has not yet been installed since the vent valve grommet and hose magically disappeared from my supplies.

I didn't touch any of the front suspension, even though i have all those bushings for the radius arms, and the axle pivot as well. I have 1 shock, as the other ended up somehow mounted to the attic drop down door, and both brand new springs are holding up a section of ramp in the horse barn. I am beyond frustrated with this crap. My dad just seemed to "borrow" the truck's parts, or give them away, and i'm missing nearly an entire rolling tool box of tools. Sorry, i have too vent a little.

I also have been unable to locate the rear spring mounts, front and rear, all the weather stripping and track for the doors, and the window regulators, and the door hinge parts, and half of the energy suspension body mounts. I contacted his neighbors, and friends, hopefully some of the parts find there way back.

Sorry for the loss of your tools and parts. Hopefully they will all find their way back home. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

But what you've done looks very good. Especially that cowl. What screen did you use and how did you hold it to the cowl?

As for the rear spring & hanger, I'm not sure I understand what the issue is. I took the rear springs off both Big Blue and Dad's truck and changed out the bushing w/o removing the hanger. Or at least I think I did. So can you help me understand what bushing is the issue? Maybe a pic?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replaced only 1 rear leaf spring bushing. I tried unsuccessfully to press the bushing out, which seem to make things worse. I had to burn the bushing out, new poly bushing went in with no issues, then i was unable to realign the leaf spring with its mounting location. I tried unsuccessfully to remove the rear shackle, one half of the plastic lower bushing fell out, the other side i could not get out, as it was right up against the frame. As well as the top bolt from the shackle was right up against the bed, how the Firetruck (starts with F, ends with uck) do you get it out without removing the leaf spring from the axle and without removing the bed? I've watch multiple video's on the removal and replacement of those bushings, and i had nothing but problems. It took my nearly 8 hours to replace 1 bushings and realign the leaf spring. What a mess.

The trick I use for removing the old rubber bushings is I use a drill. Either a 3/16" or 1/4" drill bit, whatever fits, and keep drilling the rubber out. You might have to work the drill bit on an angle sometimes, but it usually only takes a few minutes and then I knock the center sleeve out. Then you can use a hammer and chisel a remove the bushing outer metal shell. If it looks like it will be tough, you can cut a slot in it with a hack saw, and then it will peel out of there even easier.

As far as the rear spring front bushing not lining up with the hole, it's probably because of the resistance in the rear shackle when you're trying to lift the axle. It's driving the spring forward of the mounting hole in the bracket?

My 2 cents...for what it's worth, is that I would pull the springs out of the truck for service. If the axle u-bolts are really rusty I just cut them off and replace. The local spring shop will make up new ones pretty quickly, and they're not expensive. If the nuts will unscrew and you can re-use the u-bolts, then 100%!

The lower bolt in the rear shackle should be removeable isn't it? Then you can deal with the upper bolt with the spring pack out of the truck.

For reinstallation. I'd install the spring on the frame first (forward bolt first, then the shackle bolt second), and then lower the truck down on the axle.

Sorry for the loss of your tools and parts. Hopefully they will all find their way back home. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig.png

But what you've done looks very good. Especially that cowl. What screen did you use and how did you hold it to the cowl?

As for the rear spring & hanger, I'm not sure I understand what the issue is. I took the rear springs off both Big Blue and Dad's truck and changed out the bushing w/o removing the hanger. Or at least I think I did. So can you help me understand what bushing is the issue? Maybe a pic?

The mesh is from an old satellite dish that was on the property. I used the same primer/paint i used on the frame to darken the mesh.

20220519_125029.thumb.jpg.9e8673f5e5be80f8cf0851b337ce0cb2.jpg

And here are the rear shackles, top and bottom bushings. The top has the frame and bed in the way, the bottom Doesn't move far enough for me to remove the inner plastic bushing.

20220517_104755.thumb.jpg.fb76eba8a9966877fa96fc36eee47b2e.jpg

20220517_160904.thumb.jpg.5d27bb3e01544009884c8cbdc4cc9390.jpg

The mesh is from an old satellite dish that was on the property. I used the same primer/paint i used on the frame to darken the mesh.

And here are the rear shackles, top and bottom bushings. The top has the frame and bed in the way, the bottom Doesn't move far enough for me to remove the inner plastic bushing.

On the rear spring mount the way I would do it is support the truck by the frame so the axle will hang or better yet if you have wheel dollies set them under the wheels but no weight on them.

Undo the rear lower bolts, both of them, leaving the top ones as they cant be removed yet.

Now undo both front spring mounts and lower the axle with wheel on it to the ground or dollies.

You should be able to move the axle forward enough and low to now remove the top bolts and bushings.

The only think that may limit you is the rubber brake line and vent hose.

The vent hose is easy if is even still there.

The brake line a little harder with out opening the system but you may be able to rotate the axle / spring(s) to work on the rear bolts & bushings.

Once all bushings have been replaced you cant tighten any of the bolts, goes for the front suspension also, till the weight of the truck is on the suspension.

My bed was not on the truck when I R&R the rear suspension so did not have to deal with what you are going through. My rubber bushings looked good so I left them but up front I went with poly bushings.

Dave ----