Bullnose Forums

New dilemma!

Cbarnes

Did the tests, or at least the first one. It indicated that I needed a new solenoid. Picked a new style up this morning from NAPA. Got home, put it on, and viola!!! No pumps running. Started right up with no starter overrun. I am a happy camper. Thanks so much Bill!

New tank, fuel pump/fuel level sensor came in, so now to get started changing it out.

Thanks again guys,

Carl

Good to hear its fixed.

I hope you went with top of the line NAPA solenoid as they carry 2 levels of parts.

When I replaced mine I went TOL and no issues so far.

Dave ----

Did the tests, or at least the first one. It indicated that I needed a new solenoid. Picked a new style up this morning from NAPA. Got home, put it on, and viola!!! No pumps running. Started right up with no starter overrun. I am a happy camper. Thanks so much Bill!

New tank, fuel pump/fuel level sensor came in, so now to get started changing it out.

Thanks again guys,

Carl

You are welcome sir! I had this system on my truck until I converted to EFI, so got quite familiar with it.

Thanks again guys,

Carl

Good to hear its fixed.

I hope you went with top of the line NAPA solenoid as they carry 2 levels of parts.

When I replaced mine I went TOL and no issues so far.

Dave ----

Dave,

How do you tell which NAPA parts are TOL? Price?

Thanks,

Carl

Thank you sir! Maybe we need to add thia, maybe with some decent pictures to the 460 fuel systems section.

Tell me more about what to document?

What I had given him for testing to zero in on the problem he was having with the hot fuel handling package. This is the one that started with the blue fusible link hooked to the battery side of the starter relay.

Copy of what I gave him for tests to determine cause:

"Exactly what I suspected "Made in China". Can I get you to try some tests, first do you have a multimeter or maybe a test light? If so, then first, starter disconnected from the battery feed, wrap the starter end in a shop rag or similar so it can't short if you took it loose there.

Key on, jump the S to battery, relay should make a solid "clunk" and I terminal and starter terminal should be live with battery voltage. Remove the jumper, if the starter and I terminals do not immediately loose power, go get a new relay as you have found the problem.

If this test passes, you now need either a powered test light or multimeter. Using the light or meter, measure the resistance from I to the starter stud on the relay, it should be an open circuit as they are two separate contacts internally.

The next one is more fun, take the positive cable off the battery, measure resistance across the relay main studs and to I. Using a jumper, activate the relay without the battery positive connected to it and again measure the resistance across and to I, it should be near 0 ohms. Leaving the meter connected, remove power from the S terminal and see again, if the relay "hangs" engaged.

This is your homework assignment for tonight."

Dave,

Thanks,

Carl

Yes and most of the time you have to ask because EVERYONE wants the cheap one so they just get that part number when looking up and either pull it off the shelf or order it and not ask you what one you want.

I knew of the solenoid issues, junk ones right out of the box, so I went in asking for the TOL part and it was more money but you get what you pay for right?

I have been dealing with O'Reily lately, less than 1/4 mile (I can walk there if I have to) and they also have different level of parts.

Maybe because I am in there a lot for different things but they show me the different level of parts and let me pick what one I want.

Again I think any of the parts stores you have to ask because they know most want a cheap part and that is what they go for.

Dave ----

Dave,

Thanks,

Carl

Yes and most of the time you have to ask because EVERYONE wants the cheap one so they just get that part number when looking up and either pull it off the shelf or order it and not ask you what one you want.

I knew of the solenoid issues, junk ones right out of the box, so I went in asking for the TOL part and it was more money but you get what you pay for right?

I have been dealing with O'Reily lately, less than 1/4 mile (I can walk there if I have to) and they also have different level of parts.

Maybe because I am in there a lot for different things but they show me the different level of parts and let me pick what one I want.

Again I think any of the parts stores you have to ask because they know most want a cheap part and that is what they go for.

Dave ----

Makes sense,

Thanks,

Carl