Bullnose Forums

Greetings, 1982 F100 owner

Djtorello

Hello, Im Dave from North Carolina, previously New York. I have a 1982 Ford F100 with the 4.9l Straight 6. I think its the c6 transmission, but im still learning about it.

The truck has had 7 previous owners, and it was an old farm truck, which sat in a field for some untold amount of years. Some fresh fuel, a hose, and a mechanical fuel pump, cap/rotor and drove (barely) out of the field, on dry rotted, wasp filled tires.

It has seen better days for sure. It needs a new bench seat, has some minor body rot on the passenger side lower door section, and a small spot on the driver side rear quarter near the bumper. It lacks anything associated as a clear coat, and the hood is peeling. The windshield leaked, which is currently silicone slathered till i can afford a replacement.

The brakes/lines, steering, suspension and fuel systems are currently in the process of being fixed/updated as best as i can. And when i get home, I'll add pictures to go with this post.

Downside, as if anything above wasn't a downside already, due to several prior owners, many systems and equipment is rigged or changed, all willy nillie, and I'm struggling to figure some of it out. So i will be asking a lot of questions in the coming weeks and months.

Thank you for your time.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, Dave! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Where in North Carolina? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you with a city or zip.

Sounds like you have a lot of peeling to do. (I liken these trucks to onions. You peel and cry, peel and cry, but pretty soon you have enough to have a Bloomin' Onion. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Where in North Carolina? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you with a city or zip.

Sounds like you have a lot of peeling to do. (I liken these trucks to onions. You peel and cry, peel and cry, but pretty soon you have enough to have a Bloomin' Onion. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

glad to have another interested. is this a whim, hobby or a need? that may dictate the direction you take and the results you get. some here are purists and some just want to get where they need to go with junk in the bed. haha. all welcome.

Mooresville NC 28115, and thank you.

glad to have another interested. is this a whim, hobby or a need? that may dictate the direction you take and the results you get. some here are purists and some just want to get where they need to go with junk in the bed. haha. all welcome.

Well, its my fathers dream to bring it back. So this truck was in the woods on his property. He loves his Ford's, specifically Model A's, but this is as close as he can get to a Ford classic to work on and enjoy. So Im trying to update it, in the end goal of making it safe for him to drive, and to be reliable. My dad is 80 years old, and a carpenter by trade, though now finally retired. It's great to see the light in his eyes, as we work on the truck together.

I've heard from his neighbors, he would turn the truck on, just to sit there and listen to the radio. So the 1st things i took car of, was getting the mold out of the cabin, fixing the antenna, installed new speakers, door panels, and a seat cover, so he can enjoy it. I still need to fix the cracked dash as well, and need to find some interior dye or paint to bring the color back to the original maroon color.

Well, its my fathers dream to bring it back. So this truck was in the woods on his property. He loves his Ford's, specifically Model A's, but this is as close as he can get to a Ford classic to work on and enjoy. So Im trying to update it, in the end goal of making it safe for him to drive, and to be reliable. My dad is 80 years old, and a carpenter by trade, though now finally retired. It's great to see the light in his eyes, as we work on the truck together.

I've heard from his neighbors, he would turn the truck on, just to sit there and listen to the radio. So the 1st things i took car of, was getting the mold out of the cabin, fixing the antenna, installed new speakers, door panels, and a seat cover, so he can enjoy it. I still need to fix the cracked dash as well, and need to find some interior dye or paint to bring the color back to the original maroon color.

you are doing god's work! Mooresville is close to where I am rebuilding mine over in Rockwell. I split my time between my home shop in TN and my brothers shop in NC. just drove home yesterday. headed back in a couple weeks. get some pics up with what you do and glad to answer questions if I can.

You are doing a wonderful thing! That story REALLY speaks to me. I'm 74 so can appreciate your father's love of his truck.

And, you are now on the map.

Welcome and good luck with it!

I am right down the road from you in Huntersville.

I am working on an 83 for my son

Mooresville NC 28115, and thank you.

Hello, Im Dave from North Carolina, previously Conn. :nabble_anim_handshake:

I am up near Raleigh just a few hours from you.

It is nice you are doing this for your dad.

My dad is no longer with us and I wish he could see what I did on the rebuild (cab off frame) of my truck as he thought me all I know to do the body work & paint.

We are here to help you the best we can to get your project on the road be it where to get parts to how to do something.

For paint / dye for the inside get SEM products. Before painting wash the part with soap & water 3 times before doing anything to it. SEM makes a spray that helps the paint stick to the part, get it and use it.

On the dash pad they make a topper that fits pretty good and you really need to look close to see if it is a topper or a new pad. New pads are like $500 so the topper is the way to go.

Welcome to the forum and lets see some pictures

Dave ----

Hello, Im Dave from North Carolina, previously Conn. :nabble_anim_handshake:

I am up near Raleigh just a few hours from you.

It is nice you are doing this for your dad.

My dad is no longer with us and I wish he could see what I did on the rebuild (cab off frame) of my truck as he thought me all I know to do the body work & paint.

We are here to help you the best we can to get your project on the road be it where to get parts to how to do something.

For paint / dye for the inside get SEM products. Before painting wash the part with soap & water 3 times before doing anything to it. SEM makes a spray that helps the paint stick to the part, get it and use it.

On the dash pad they make a topper that fits pretty good and you really need to look close to see if it is a topper or a new pad. New pads are like $500 so the topper is the way to go.

Welcome to the forum and lets see some pictures

Dave ----

Hello, mister grant. I have a pretty good idea who you are. I think you are from Connecticut, to Long Island, to Florida, to North Carolina. If i got the right David right. I already have the coverlay, in black, and im thinking going with the maroon and black on the interior, as i have already installed black armrests, and black visors.

As SEM is a good suggestion, my job carries their products, i just gonna have to find a matching color code. Thank you.