Bullnose Forums

Braking issue?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that works out for you, Dave. When mine did that, I had to replace the booster.

FYI you can get that check valve & the rubber at most parts stores in the help area as it was a common part back in the day on the hooks.

I would also replace the rubber hose just make sure it is rated for vacuum as gas hose may get sucked closed and no vacuum would get to the booster.

Dave ----

FYI you can get that check valve & the rubber at most parts stores in the help area as it was a common part back in the day on the hooks.

I would also replace the rubber hose just make sure it is rated for vacuum as gas hose may get sucked closed and no vacuum would get to the booster.

Dave ----

The rubber grommet removed has a small tear on the I.D. sealing surface. The substitution of the grommet only [for testing purposes] has been completed and the truck will soon be driven as my son has errands and will provide feedback.

The rubber grommet removed has a small tear on the I.D. sealing surface. The substitution of the grommet only [for testing purposes] has been completed and the truck will soon be driven as my son has errands and will provide feedback.

Well, the occasional pulsating/modulating brake pedal is still alive. Next, the check valve will be replaced.

Well, the occasional pulsating/modulating brake pedal is still alive. Next, the check valve will be replaced.

pulsating is an odd symptom description. it always leads me to warped rotors. does it move as you start it once or does it "pulse" as you hold your foot on the pedal?

pulsating is an odd symptom description. it always leads me to warped rotors. does it move as you start it once or does it "pulse" as you hold your foot on the pedal?

My description lacked clarity... the rapid pulsating feeling comes through the brake pedal as the brakes are being released, not before or during brake application. It reminds one of the feeling of antilock brakes when the road is icy.

My description lacked clarity... the rapid pulsating feeling comes through the brake pedal as the brakes are being released, not before or during brake application. It reminds one of the feeling of antilock brakes when the road is icy.

does it make any noise? pulsing while letting off the brakes is even stranger. any chance that the bushing is missing between the brake lever pin and the power booster arm loop right above the brake pedal causing a mechanical "chatter". I had an instance years ago where my 86 had a booster going bad due to rust and it was caused by water getting between the booster and firewall and the plastic cover collected it and soaked the cotton packing material. eventually it rusted bad enough to start getting rough to move and stepping on the pedal was no different but letting off felt like a washboard. until then I did not know I had an issue. also, without the radio on I could hear the air leak when letting off.

does it make any noise? pulsing while letting off the brakes is even stranger. any chance that the bushing is missing between the brake lever pin and the power booster arm loop right above the brake pedal causing a mechanical "chatter".

No noise. Yesterday, the original check valve was removed and compared to the replacement provided by Gary. When blowing into the replacement valve's smaller port [engine side], the check valve prevented flow. The original one had no resistance to the same blowing.

As of last night, the rapid pulsating has not happened since the replacement of the check valve. Time will tell, but I am optimistic that the problem has been solved.

does it make any noise? pulsing while letting off the brakes is even stranger. any chance that the bushing is missing between the brake lever pin and the power booster arm loop right above the brake pedal causing a mechanical "chatter".

No noise. Yesterday, the original check valve was removed and compared to the replacement provided by Gary. When blowing into the replacement valve's smaller port [engine side], the check valve prevented flow. The original one had no resistance to the same blowing.

As of last night, the rapid pulsating has not happened since the replacement of the check valve. Time will tell, but I am optimistic that the problem has been solved.

Glad to see that, David. :nabble_smiley_good: