Bullnose Forums

Braking issue?

This morning, I drove my son's 1984 F150 with power brakes. I drove it for several blocks having to brake several times. The brakes worked fine. I made a stop and when I restarted the engine, with my foot on the brake, it could be felt to modulate. I drove it home without any more problems.

When I got home, I opened the hood and checked the large hose providing vacuum to the brake booster. The hose looks okay and the clamps are in place. I did notice that the rubber grommet on the booster body seems quite loose when the elbow is manipulated. Can this be replaced? Can someone provide an engineering number for the grommet? Does one pull on the elbow while twisting back and forth in order to remove the elbow? Can a replacement elbow be obtained should the current one [original?] break?

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David - I'm not seeing any breakdown of the booster. It is just base part # 2005 and there don't seem to be any parts for it.

But it is normal for the brakes to change as you start the truck. In fact, if I remember right one of the tests is to put your foot on the brake, hard, and then start the engine. The pedal should go farther down if the booster is working.

Here’s this on the power booster check valve, if that’s what you’re talking about. Not in stock though.

Edit: x2 what Gary said!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1984,f-150,4.9l+300cid+l6,1121432,brake+&+wheel+hub,power+brake+booster+check+valve,1876

David - This will show up in your mailbox, although I'm not exactly sure when. That's because I don't know if I'll be able to make it to the shipping spot tomorrow, and if if I do whether or not it'll go out. We have a major winter storm hitting soon. :nabble_smiley_oh:)

Booster_Grommet__Fitting.thumb.jpg.a61cd47859a4e4a4d3bd00238dc83376.jpg

Hi David! I agree that some pedal modulation is normal, but if it feels like a lot, or it is a new behavior out of the system I would (also) inspect the hose connections to the vacuum reservoir(s) and test the integrity of the coffee can reservoir if so equipped.

Hi David! I agree that some pedal modulation is normal, but if it feels like a lot, or it is a new behavior out of the system I would (also) inspect the hose connections to the vacuum reservoir(s) and test the integrity of the coffee can reservoir if so equipped.

I always thought it was a juice can. Who knew?

Thanks to all who have replied. I would have responded sooner, but have been experiencing total loss of Internet service and have had 3 service calls by AT&T and a couple of phone calls originating in other parts of the world.

Gary, I hope that you and Janey are okay and can stay warm. Thank you so much for the part!

Jonathan, the very quick pulsating upon start-up is new. I will check all vacuum line connections.

Dane, thank you for the link to RockAuto for the check valve.

Mat in tn, thanks for your interest.

Thanks to all who have replied. I would have responded sooner, but have been experiencing total loss of Internet service and have had 3 service calls by AT&T and a couple of phone calls originating in other parts of the world.

Gary, I hope that you and Janey are okay and can stay warm. Thank you so much for the part!

Jonathan, the very quick pulsating upon start-up is new. I will check all vacuum line connections.

Dane, thank you for the link to RockAuto for the check valve.

Mat in tn, thanks for your interest.

David - I hope you and Natalie keep warm as well. The storm seems to have fizzled here, although they are still saying there's more to come.

And I hope your internet is back. I'd be lost w/o that. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it was just the Lariat trim and diesels that got the coffee can… all the others were pineapple juice 😅

The parts arrived yesterday, Gary. I will plan to install them tomorrow.

My son and I thank you for your generosity!