Bullnose Forums

New User - 83 Bronco - 300 straight 6, 4 speed manual

Brock

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the delay here are more pictures

Brock, how bout a better picture of the dist. and dose it have a vacuum hose going to it?

Also when looking at the firewall just to the right, when looking from the front of the back of the motor / valve cover area, is there a bunch of wires going into the cab there?

From what I now see from the pictures as Matt said it dose look like a feed back carb BUT.....

The 1 picture of the dist. looks like it has a vacuum can on it and a hose going to it then the IGN. DSII box on the inner fender looks like its been there for a long time, factory?

I wounder if this was a feed back system that has only been have done to remove?

Or it needed a carb and a used feed back carb was installed?

I think the 83 year was when the feed back system was coming into play.

What is the date on the door sticker, month & year?

My 81 F100 has a date of 11/80, anything built after Sept. is the following year my case 1981 model.

Dave ----

Edit I also wonder if the motor has been changed out at some point?

I ask because of the oil dip stick being so long like from a van?Mine is shorter but I am sure my motor came from a car as the exh manifold would not take a truck head pipe and why I went with EFI manifolds.

Brock, how bout a better picture of the dist. and dose it have a vacuum hose going to it?

Also when looking at the firewall just to the right, when looking from the front of the back of the motor / valve cover area, is there a bunch of wires going into the cab there?

From what I now see from the pictures as Matt said it dose look like a feed back carb BUT.....

The 1 picture of the dist. looks like it has a vacuum can on it and a hose going to it then the IGN. DSII box on the inner fender looks like its been there for a long time, factory?

I wounder if this was a feed back system that has only been have done to remove?

Or it needed a carb and a used feed back carb was installed?

I think the 83 year was when the feed back system was coming into play.

What is the date on the door sticker, month & year?

My 81 F100 has a date of 11/80, anything built after Sept. is the following year my case 1981 model.

Dave ----

Edit I also wonder if the motor has been changed out at some point?

I ask because of the oil dip stick being so long like from a van?Mine is shorter but I am sure my motor came from a car as the exh manifold would not take a truck head pipe and why I went with EFI manifolds.

FuzzFace2 - This engine had been swapped from a pickup truck and I do know that the carb is not original from this Bronco. My dad had told me that the previous carb ran better. So, it sounds like I may need to run a check on the engine to find out what engine year is in there. I will look for the engine nameplate or something, not sure where it is though. If I found that information that would probably tell us what type of distributor is there. Would that then be enough information to make sure I can find the correct carb?

FuzzFace2 - This engine had been swapped from a pickup truck and I do know that the carb is not original from this Bronco. My dad had told me that the previous carb ran better. So, it sounds like I may need to run a check on the engine to find out what engine year is in there. I will look for the engine nameplate or something, not sure where it is though. If I found that information that would probably tell us what type of distributor is there. Would that then be enough information to make sure I can find the correct carb?

I dont think you will find anything on the engine on what it is or from.

On the dist. just take a better picture of it and if it has a vacuum hose going to it.

I think the dist. dose have a vacuum hose and the truck has the DSII box on the inner fender.

I also think the carb is a feed back from something else.

If that is the case and if the carb is not working right it might be best to replace it with a non-feed back one than try and rebuild it. With non-feed back parts installed we can then help you tune it, feed back system a computer dose the tuning.

Dave ----

I dont think you will find anything on the engine on what it is or from.

On the dist. just take a better picture of it and if it has a vacuum hose going to it.

I think the dist. dose have a vacuum hose and the truck has the DSII box on the inner fender.

I also think the carb is a feed back from something else.

If that is the case and if the carb is not working right it might be best to replace it with a non-feed back one than try and rebuild it. With non-feed back parts installed we can then help you tune it, feed back system a computer dose the tuning.

Dave ----

302FE952-2E84-42D8-93C6-8120C4A921AB.jpeg.08ab1d7a2101d8761ddfdebb618059dd.jpegHere are some more pictures. I found that likely the distributor was from this 83 Bronco, but the carb was from an 82 F150 (which that is also the engine that is installed). I found that there is a vacuum line running to the carb from the distributor (module just below it)

3A662039-3C64-4939-B2A4-A97394BC8235.jpeg.a96586e1bc519975331747a8c5a94819.jpeg

30CE5488-B4F9-4707-A0DD-E97DF9C9688B.jpeg.bf554d66a0381abbe044d560f496d4bb.jpeg

E84FBC1D-38DB-49F1-9F50-3927E2C70408.jpeg.7e92c46bb2a237029ed8837182c0fc08.jpeg

6ACEE20F-257E-44EE-BBEB-F8D32F74323A.jpeg.42573bfff73aaba09be2960f4b6f6296.jpeg

80835B31-5901-4782-962E-CC1E71A60F06.jpeg.d0c24fae11bf37db89f9c30d2b3a00f7.jpeg

0DFE1589-4316-4851-96C2-7671CD9A758E.jpeg.070d37ff03e5ceaad440e4abdbe86a64.jpeg

Here are some more pictures. I found that likely the distributor was from this 83 Bronco, but the carb was from an 82 F150 (which that is also the engine that is installed). I found that there is a vacuum line running to the carb from the distributor (module just below it)

I believe you have a "hybrid". I see a connection dangling on the carb that is probably for the feedback system, but I'll let others more familiar with those carbs confirm that. However the distributor is for sure from a DS-II system.

So if, as I think, you have a feedback carb and a non-feedback ignition then the question becomes what to do. If you also have a computer then the computer isn't going to be happy 'cause it isn't controlling the ignition. But there's not much it can do about that save for changing the air/fuel ratio via the carb, and it has a very limited range in which it can do that. Maybe not even enough to cause problems.

Given that I'd say you would be best to go with a non-feedback carb.

I believe you have a "hybrid". I see a connection dangling on the carb that is probably for the feedback system, but I'll let others more familiar with those carbs confirm that. However the distributor is for sure from a DS-II system.

So if, as I think, you have a feedback carb and a non-feedback ignition then the question becomes what to do. If you also have a computer then the computer isn't going to be happy 'cause it isn't controlling the ignition. But there's not much it can do about that save for changing the air/fuel ratio via the carb, and it has a very limited range in which it can do that. Maybe not even enough to cause problems.

Given that I'd say you would be best to go with a non-feedback carb.

I have been reading up on this this morning and going back and reviewing the pics as I get the points that others have been pointing out. wow! this is either a factory transitional hybrid like a mid-year production change or a very interesting Frankenstein. it is a feedback carb but the stepper motor is not hooked up. not really an issue as it is mostly for adjusting to the load of the ac system which is nonexistent. there is no tps for the ecu to read so that is interesting. the feedback solenoid does seem to be hooked up electrically but it's not the focus of the picture so I could have that incorrect. the dipstick length is not really significant aside from it being the length of a van model and seems to be welded to a bracket for stabilizing a dealer air compressor bracket. as far as whether it "could run well or not, I don't see any reason why it could not. If the feedback solenoid were not open it would just not have the lean circuit option. if the dist. is a stand-alone only reading vac signal, then it won't know or care what carb it has. that just means the tuning is all "back to basics".

I have been reading up on this this morning and going back and reviewing the pics as I get the points that others have been pointing out. wow! this is either a factory transitional hybrid like a mid-year production change or a very interesting Frankenstein. it is a feedback carb but the stepper motor is not hooked up. not really an issue as it is mostly for adjusting to the load of the ac system which is nonexistent. there is no tps for the ecu to read so that is interesting. the feedback solenoid does seem to be hooked up electrically but it's not the focus of the picture so I could have that incorrect. the dipstick length is not really significant aside from it being the length of a van model and seems to be welded to a bracket for stabilizing a dealer air compressor bracket. as far as whether it "could run well or not, I don't see any reason why it could not. If the feedback solenoid were not open it would just not have the lean circuit option. if the dist. is a stand-alone only reading vac signal, then it won't know or care what carb it has. that just means the tuning is all "back to basics".

Since Brock said "I found that likely the distributor was from this 83 Bronco, but the carb was from an 82 F150 (which that is also the engine that is installed)" I think we can rule out it having come from the factory this way.

But you are right, it might run well if tuned correctly. However, Brock started the thread asking for what carb he should buy, and right now I'd say he should buy one of the cheap Chinese YF knockoffs as it would stand a good chance of being set up right for this truck. More so than the feedback carb.

Since Brock said "I found that likely the distributor was from this 83 Bronco, but the carb was from an 82 F150 (which that is also the engine that is installed)" I think we can rule out it having come from the factory this way.

But you are right, it might run well if tuned correctly. However, Brock started the thread asking for what carb he should buy, and right now I'd say he should buy one of the cheap Chinese YF knockoffs as it would stand a good chance of being set up right for this truck. More so than the feedback carb.

maybe so. i just hate that we have gotten to the point of believing a "cheap Chinese" anything is the answer. feels like giving up to me. Can I get an amen?

certainly, we have a rebuilder among us who may have a good yf on the shelf. I only have a yfa and its modified or I would make it available.

on second thought I just removed the exact drivetrain he should have from my newest project lefty. carb has not been rebuilt or even run-in years but that may be an option.

maybe so. i just hate that we have gotten to the point of believing a "cheap Chinese" anything is the answer. feels like giving up to me. Can I get an amen?

certainly, we have a rebuilder among us who may have a good yf on the shelf. I only have a yfa and its modified or I would make it available.

on second thought I just removed the exact drivetrain he should have from my newest project lefty. carb has not been rebuilt or even run-in years but that may be an option.

Yes, it is odd to think a "cheap Chinese" carb can solve a problem. But it really can as several others have had success with them.

However, if you have the right one...