Bullnose Forums

New User - 83 Bronco - 300 straight 6, 4 speed manual

Brock

I do think you have the non-feedback system as I don't see the wiring to the carb for the feedback module. But what I was really looking for was a pic of the distributor as it is easier to tell whether you have the TFI ignition system that goes with the feedback carb. However, even though there isn't much light on the dizzy it is in the top pic and it doesn't look to have the TFI module hanging off of it.

As said, TFI and feedback carb go hand in hand. W/o TFI you should have a DS-II ignition module that looks something like this on the driver's fenderliner. If so, then you have the non-feedback carb, and the cheap Chinese carb might work well for you.

Thanks Gary. That would definitely safe money. Here is a pic of the distributor.

007144E7-FED3-4D84-8BB6-43C38246EEA9.jpeg.2c8455d0e6cd62e929be571f09e615cf.jpeg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Gary. That would definitely safe money. Here is a pic of the distributor.

I don't see a TFI module hanging off the dizzy and I see what I think is one of the DS-II connectors on the far right side of the pic, so I'm pretty sure you have the non-feedback carb. However, if you were to take a pic of a bit farther to the right I could confirm that the DS-II module is there.

But let's see what others have to say.

Nice Looking 300! There are a few of us here. I know its not what you asked but since nobody else has brought it up, have you considered rebuilding your factory carb? I think the rebuild kit I bought at autozone was $20. it looks like Gary has the shop manual instructions for that carb right here on the site.

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carter-yfa-1bbl.html

as others have pointed out, having the non feedback carb and ignition system will make your life much easier if you decide to do any performance upgrades down the road. There are basically no good options for upgrading from the factory carb without the use of an aftermarket intake manifold. There is every chance in the world that running a new 2.5" exhaust and finding some of the EFI style exhaust manifolds would make a bigger felt difference that an intake/carb swap anyhow.

Youre in the right place!

Nice Looking 300! There are a few of us here. I know its not what you asked but since nobody else has brought it up, have you considered rebuilding your factory carb? I think the rebuild kit I bought at autozone was $20. it looks like Gary has the shop manual instructions for that carb right here on the site.

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carter-yfa-1bbl.html

as others have pointed out, having the non feedback carb and ignition system will make your life much easier if you decide to do any performance upgrades down the road. There are basically no good options for upgrading from the factory carb without the use of an aftermarket intake manifold. There is every chance in the world that running a new 2.5" exhaust and finding some of the EFI style exhaust manifolds would make a bigger felt difference that an intake/carb swap anyhow.

Youre in the right place!

StraightSix - This rig used to belong to my dad. The mechanic he used told me that that the existing carb was somewhat faulty and had issues with the choke. He recommended going with a new carb. He put in a manual choke but cold starts have always been difficult and are getting worse, especially in these cold Montana winters. I’d like to start on a more simple carb project, since I am not an experienced mechanic. Though I really like the idea of performance or mileage upgrades, I’d settle for a fix that would just make it more dependable. Do you have pictures of your rig?

I have the same set up, on my 300 sits a holley 4 barrell on an offenhauser intake. No complaints with that set up.

Glad to get in touch with some 300 guys. What do you mainly use your Bronco for, rock climbing. Any pictures? So you have the 2.5 in exhaust with an EFI manifold?

I don't see a TFI module hanging off the dizzy and I see what I think is one of the DS-II connectors on the far right side of the pic, so I'm pretty sure you have the non-feedback carb. However, if you were to take a pic of a bit farther to the right I could confirm that the DS-II module is there.

I am with Gary as it looks like you have a vacuum advance dist. and if that is factory then you should NOT have a feed back carb.

The carter YF carb had to be one of the easiest carbs to rebuild.

As long as the throttle shaft bore is not warn it should take a rebuild and work great again.

I have a 300 in my 81 F100 flare side and have rebuilt the carb and doing so had to un-do a PO mess!

Dave ----

I am with Gary as it looks like you have a vacuum advance dist. and if that is factory then you should NOT have a feed back carb.

The carter YF carb had to be one of the easiest carbs to rebuild.

As long as the throttle shaft bore is not warn it should take a rebuild and work great again.

I have a 300 in my 81 F100 flare side and have rebuilt the carb and doing so had to un-do a PO mess!

Dave ----

Guys im quite sure im looking at the feedback solenoid in both of the first two pics