Bullnose Forums

New User - 83 Bronco - 300 straight 6, 4 speed manual

Brock

Howdy!

I’m new here and am looking for advice on a good quality carburetor to purchase for my 83 Bronco 300 straight six. I’ve looked in several places online but I’m unsure what features I might want to make sure to include (like 1 barrel or 2, electronic choke or not, etc), also wondering which manufacturer would be best to go with. Thanks for providing a place to help new guys like me.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, Brock! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you with a city/state or zip.

On the carb, you don't really have a choice of a 2bbl on the 300 if you are running the stock intake manifold. Or unless you bolt on a 1-to-2bbl adapter. So I suggest just going with the 1bbl.

This subject has been discussed a lot on here, and you might enjoy reading this thread: Advice on Carb + Intake Swap for 300 Straight Six. In that Cory said he'd just put a $69 replacement from Amazon on his truck. I don't have a link to that carb, but the model is YF and you can probably find it.

There are other threads on here about the cheap Chinese carb and most have been positive. However, they aren't perfect. On the other hand, they are cheap.

However, we need to make sure that you have the non-feedback carb before getting much farther. If you have a feedback carb then must replace it with a feedback carb. So show us a pic of your distributor? We can tell from that if you have the feedback system or not.

Welcome, Brock! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you with a city/state or zip.

On the carb, you don't really have a choice of a 2bbl on the 300 if you are running the stock intake manifold. Or unless you bolt on a 1-to-2bbl adapter. So I suggest just going with the 1bbl.

This subject has been discussed a lot on here, and you might enjoy reading this thread: Advice on Carb + Intake Swap for 300 Straight Six. In that Cory said he'd just put a $69 replacement from Amazon on his truck. I don't have a link to that carb, but the model is YF and you can probably find it.

There are other threads on here about the cheap Chinese carb and most have been positive. However, they aren't perfect. On the other hand, they are cheap.

However, we need to make sure that you have the non-feedback carb before getting much farther. If you have a feedback carb then must replace it with a feedback carb. So show us a pic of your distributor? We can tell from that if you have the feedback system or not.

Admin - I live in Laurel, MT. I can send a pic of the carb when I get back home on Sunday. Thanks fir the thread. I reached out to Jamesg to see how his project went.

Any advice on a good repair manual? I need to do some work on the brakes and suspension also.

Admin - I live in Laurel, MT. I can send a pic of the carb when I get back home on Sunday. Thanks fir the thread. I reached out to Jamesg to see how his project went.

Any advice on a good repair manual? I need to do some work on the brakes and suspension also.

I like the factory service manuals, but they are getting expensive.

Dave Graham has CD’s of the factory manuals which I have for both my Ford’s and I like them. Sometimes I just like paper manuals in front of me.

And Gary has a ton of service info on this site! :nabble_anim_claps:

You are now on the map.

As for a manual, I really like the Ford factory shop manuals. They are very accurate.

However, we have many of the sections from the FSMs on the site. So you may not need to buy a set. Your call.

In that Cory said he'd just put a $69 replacement from Amazon on his truck. I don't have a link to that carb, but the model is YF and you can probably find it.

Jonathan and I each bought different cheap 1bbl carbs. Here's a link to mine that shows the Amazon link...looks like it's unavailable now though:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-Repro-YF-carburetor-for-the-300-six-tp70663p85580.html

That carb worked really well, but I did end up having to swap the metal float from the old carb, which was an Autoline reman of an original YF.

I have never used them myself, but I know that Mike's Carburetors gets universal good reviews, and they should have good quality carbs.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/

C715BEBF-515F-4AD6-B098-3D9224BD67CD.jpeg.6d4875f6a66a1b59fa025f6a77b47850.jpeg3F3FA041-3BD9-42C5-8155-1A9051A78ADC.jpeg.4e4d5d7f4c271505e96ad03d7fd0f57d.jpeg

I do think you have the non-feedback system as I don't see the wiring to the carb for the feedback module. But what I was really looking for was a pic of the distributor as it is easier to tell whether you have the TFI ignition system that goes with the feedback carb. However, even though there isn't much light on the dizzy it is in the top pic and it doesn't look to have the TFI module hanging off of it.

As said, TFI and feedback carb go hand in hand. W/o TFI you should have a DS-II ignition module that looks something like this on the driver's fenderliner. If so, then you have the non-feedback carb, and the cheap Chinese carb might work well for you.

lrs-12199a_8874.jpg.568b27baf3fa825958494c602f96f0a0.jpg