Bullnose Forums

why we ask for answers and advise

Speaking of the "Previous Owner Blues"...

I'm trying to clean up this old Mustang Foxbody carbed 4bbl intake manifold. It was rough, and dirty, but it was also very cheap so I can't complain too much, but...

The upper thermostat housing bolt hole has been buggered up almost to becoming useless lol. It is supposed to be 5/16". Somebody stripped it at some point and tapped in partially to 3/8". Obviously that didn't work, so it was tapped partially again to 7/16" lol. So now the hole is like a cone shape, and it's not even centered.

Using the few remaining 5/16" threads in the bottom of the hole I stuck a short length of threaded rod in there with Loctite. It did tighten pretty good. I then filled the rest of the hole with metal filled 2-part epoxy.

I'll trim the rod off later and use an acorn nut on it to keep it "pretty".

...if it works...lol. Fingers crossed.

IMG_7241.jpg.0e08038400a276253d9b93afc617ed91.jpg

Speaking of the "Previous Owner Blues"...

I'm trying to clean up this old Mustang Foxbody carbed 4bbl intake manifold. It was rough, and dirty, but it was also very cheap so I can't complain too much, but...

The upper thermostat housing bolt hole has been buggered up almost to becoming useless lol. It is supposed to be 5/16". Somebody stripped it at some point and tapped in partially to 3/8". Obviously that didn't work, so it was tapped partially again to 7/16" lol. So now the hole is like a cone shape, and it's not even centered.

Using the few remaining 5/16" threads in the bottom of the hole I stuck a short length of threaded rod in there with Loctite. It did tighten pretty good. I then filled the rest of the hole with metal filled 2-part epoxy.

I'll trim the rod off later and use an acorn nut on it to keep it "pretty".

...if it works...lol. Fingers crossed.

Too big for a heli coil of that size.....bummer!

Too big for a heli coil of that size.....bummer!

That’s how it should have been repaired the first time!

Guys - this is why I bought my truck. I've seen so many of these things "modified" out in the marketplace and also "repainted". Most repaints consist of Krylon or Rustoleum flat black. I suspect most mods have similar quality issues - LOL. I found my truck in original - unmolested mechanical condition. It didn't matter to me that it didn't run. What mattered was that it hadn't been messed with by unqualified mechanics. Much easier to fix if I don't have to deconstruct poor workmanship from the past.

BTW, the original trans and engine work now (I'm living with the leaks)- including the rare EEC-III system, which is fully plumbed and operational. All stock - no mods.

Guys - this is why I bought my truck. I've seen so many of these things "modified" out in the marketplace and also "repainted". Most repaints consist of Krylon or Rustoleum flat black. I suspect most mods have similar quality issues - LOL. I found my truck in original - unmolested mechanical condition. It didn't matter to me that it didn't run. What mattered was that it hadn't been messed with by unqualified mechanics. Much easier to fix if I don't have to deconstruct poor workmanship from the past.

BTW, the original trans and engine work now (I'm living with the leaks)- including the rare EEC-III system, which is fully plumbed and operational. All stock - no mods.

Yes, the modifications most PO's inflict on their trucks are usually very poorly done, and frequently downright dangerous. Little did I know what I was getting into with Big Blue, but :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: had been smoking some serious stuff when he worked on this truck. :nabble_smiley_cry:

You have a beautiful truck, and I'm so glad you are keeping it original. :nabble_smiley_good: