Bullnose Forums

1985F20 SuperCab "REDRUM"

CRittaler

I think a thicker ear is standard. Doesn't the 3G page say something about bending the arm?

Anyway, I have no doubt you can do it. Take pics along the way, please.

The 3G page mentions that the arm needs to be bent, but the reference photo that shows the adjuster ear measurements has different measurements than both my 1G and my 3G. Was just calling that out.

I plan on taking pictures as I go, though the camera on my phone is NOT very good.

mounting-stud-thickness-6_1.jpg.a2c3e54d19cd77d36caa2876339e12f1.jpg

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3G page mentions that the arm needs to be bent, but the reference photo that shows the adjuster ear measurements has different measurements than both my 1G and my 3G. Was just calling that out.

I plan on taking pictures as I go, though the camera on my phone is NOT very good.

Did a little bit of work on getting the alternator ready.

My 3 jaw pullers arrived so I was able to get the pulley off the 3G.

IMG_20220128_130416_600.thumb.jpg.fd130aa016704a55e22f3f9fe2dc8d3e.jpg

tried to put the bushing on the shaft to space out the Vbelt pulley from the 1G.

IMG_20220128_130929_780.thumb.jpg.4487cac5db60381a68923ca4feab9fb8.jpg

Bushing is a 5/8" ID 1" OD like shown on the 3G page. Didn't fit past the threads.

IMG_20220128_130926_120.thumb.jpg.ffce15a68f9ad4872c747cc93606d67a.jpg

I measured the shafts of both alternators, both show as 17mm on my calipers.

5/8" however is 15.88mm so I'm surprised that's what's used.

I'm going to find some M16 washers which should be 17mm diameter and try those.

At a standstill for the time being. I'm heading to pick and pull again this weekend. Trying to get another seatbelt, possibly some other buckets to replace the captains seats and maybe a Taurus fuse box.

Did a little bit of work on getting the alternator ready.

My 3 jaw pullers arrived so I was able to get the pulley off the 3G.

tried to put the bushing on the shaft to space out the Vbelt pulley from the 1G.

Bushing is a 5/8" ID 1" OD like shown on the 3G page. Didn't fit past the threads.

I measured the shafts of both alternators, both show as 17mm on my calipers.

5/8" however is 15.88mm so I'm surprised that's what's used.

I'm going to find some M16 washers which should be 17mm diameter and try those.

At a standstill for the time being. I'm heading to pick and pull again this weekend. Trying to get another seatbelt, possibly some other buckets to replace the captains seats and maybe a Taurus fuse box.

Looks like we need to update the 3G page. Please keep track of all you find and I'll update it when you are done.

Looks like we need to update the 3G page. Please keep track of all you find and I'll update it when you are done.

Alternator is bolted in and tensioned.

I ordered an aluminum washer kit off Amazon that had M16x25mmx1.5mm as one of the sizes.

My calipers showed the M16 to be 18mm ID, a bit larger than needed, but i don't think the rotational mass of the washer is going to cause any balance issues.

IMG_20220131_135529_966.thumb.jpg.18eff9d56b8c785006e9e2e4d65a5f9b.jpg

IMG_20220131_135851_345.thumb.jpg.8e9b27cc10e24be29c1a68167b72e691.jpg

This let the dual Vbelt pulley clear the case. I ended up having to use some blue loctite in place of the lock washer as there was no where near enough threads for both the washer and nut.

IMG_20220131_135942_070.thumb.jpg.1a691b0e693a91ce9d491645da4e6538.jpg

I tightened the nut to 2 ugga duggas with the impact and called it good. Pulley spins freely. I wrestled it into place in the smog bracket and lightly tightened the upper mounting bolt.

I dropped my vbelt laser alignment fixtures onto the crank and alt and checked the alignment.

IMG_20220131_204625_431.thumb.jpg.92b79415a509f7752af04e3a2a7dbeee.jpg

Looks good to me, but I need to verify now that the alt is fully tensioned.

I then removed the adjuster ear and bent it to clear the alt. This was a lot of back and forth to get so that there was only light drag on the adjuster ear.

IMG_20220131_205138_136.thumb.jpg.359b16fe2112d91ec1f679830a0feab8.jpg

As long as I keep the bolt for the adjuster ear loose while tensioning the belt I can get enough movement. Then I just snug that bolt back up after the adjuster is tight.

I have to do something similar on my Samurai since the one wire alt is much larger than the factory on it.

So, now I have the 3G bolted in and tensioned, now I have to plan how I want to do the wiring.

Alternator is bolted in and tensioned.

I ordered an aluminum washer kit off Amazon that had M16x25mmx1.5mm as one of the sizes.

My calipers showed the M16 to be 18mm ID, a bit larger than needed, but i don't think the rotational mass of the washer is going to cause any balance issues.

This let the dual Vbelt pulley clear the case. I ended up having to use some blue loctite in place of the lock washer as there was no where near enough threads for both the washer and nut.

I tightened the nut to 2 ugga duggas with the impact and called it good. Pulley spins freely. I wrestled it into place in the smog bracket and lightly tightened the upper mounting bolt.

I dropped my vbelt laser alignment fixtures onto the crank and alt and checked the alignment.

Looks good to me, but I need to verify now that the alt is fully tensioned.

I then removed the adjuster ear and bent it to clear the alt. This was a lot of back and forth to get so that there was only light drag on the adjuster ear.

As long as I keep the bolt for the adjuster ear loose while tensioning the belt I can get enough movement. Then I just snug that bolt back up after the adjuster is tight.

I have to do something similar on my Samurai since the one wire alt is much larger than the factory on it.

So, now I have the 3G bolted in and tensioned, now I have to plan how I want to do the wiring.

Looks great! Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

Wow, didn't know a laser alignment tool for pulleys existed. That's cool.

I stumbled across it when I was looking for a good method for aligning V belt pulleys. I am having a custom pulley made for my Samurai and needed to make sure the 3D printed test part aligned correctly.

I bought it from here:

https://www.hogslat.com/hog-slat-laser-fan-pulley-alignment-kit

I stumbled across it when I was looking for a good method for aligning V belt pulleys. I am having a custom pulley made for my Samurai and needed to make sure the 3D printed test part aligned correctly.

I bought it from here:

my thread "84 Bronco 3g alternator upgrade problem" last updated on 11/1/2020 has detailed photos of the factory wiring harness, where to cut/splice etc. Good luck!

I bought it from here:

That's a cool tool! I didn't know anything like that existed.

But now that I think about it, I have a centering laser for my mill and its body is a cylinder. I could probably lay that in the groove of a pulley and it would show where the next pulley needs to be. :nabble_smiley_good: