Bullnose Forums

1985F20 SuperCab "REDRUM"

CRittaler

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar whistle. Mine was a deteriorating gasket on the intake manifold. I could pour water over it and the noise would stop momentarily.

This is a good idea, if there's nothing immediately apparent.

Just don't dump a huge amount of water.

Maybe a safer way would be the smoke test?

the way I've checked in the past is a light spray of carb cleaner and listen for a change in RPM.

That works, but sometimes it is hard to get it where it'll get sucked in. David/1986F150Six had a problem that turned out to be a cracked vacuum hose that was buried and he wasn't getting the cleaner to it. But as soon as he pushed smoke into the system it was obvious.

That works, but sometimes it is hard to get it where it'll get sucked in. David/1986F150Six had a problem that turned out to be a cracked vacuum hose that was buried and he wasn't getting the cleaner to it. But as soon as he pushed smoke into the system it was obvious.

that's true.

I also just ordered a steering coupler just in case mine is bad when I go to change the box.

I was also just out looking under the hood (checking power steering level) and I noted that there are a bunch of uncapped vacuum ports on the air cleaner. I'll have to check, but I'm wondering if any of them could be causing the hissing.

that's true.

I also just ordered a steering coupler just in case mine is bad when I go to change the box.

I was also just out looking under the hood (checking power steering level) and I noted that there are a bunch of uncapped vacuum ports on the air cleaner. I'll have to check, but I'm wondering if any of them could be causing the hissing.

Well I spent a couple hours on my lunch break pulling the steering box. All in all that wasn't that bad of a job.

I had a look at the frame and I don't see any cracks. I plan on having a closer look with the brightest light I can manage once I finish cleaning it up.

I also pulled the steering shaft to replace the lower rag joint. Turns out the Lares 204 replacement that I bought is waaay too large and I needed the 206. But I also don't really want to go through the hassle of grinding off the rivets to replace it so I'm going to stop by the wrecking yard on Thursday/Friday and look for a steering shaft from an 87-91 and see if they have any that are in decent shape.

Well I spent a couple hours on my lunch break pulling the steering box. All in all that wasn't that bad of a job.

I had a look at the frame and I don't see any cracks. I plan on having a closer look with the brightest light I can manage once I finish cleaning it up.

I also pulled the steering shaft to replace the lower rag joint. Turns out the Lares 204 replacement that I bought is waaay too large and I needed the 206. But I also don't really want to go through the hassle of grinding off the rivets to replace it so I'm going to stop by the wrecking yard on Thursday/Friday and look for a steering shaft from an 87-91 and see if they have any that are in decent shape.

The '87 still has a lower rag joint but maybe it's a little different than a Bullnose.

I know I went through that grinding the rivets out and finding elevator bolts and shallow locknuts to replace it.

Hopefully you can turn something up! :nabble_smiley_good:

The '87 still has a lower rag joint but maybe it's a little different than a Bullnose.

I know I went through that grinding the rivets out and finding elevator bolts and shallow locknuts to replace it.

Hopefully you can turn something up! :nabble_smiley_good:

From what I understand the rag joint is slightly different on the later models. maybe I'm thinking of 88 and up, I can't remember.

I also just cleaned off the inside of the frame and used the brightest light I had. I don't see any cracks on the frame. I see some scratches in the paint where the box slid down as it was coming out, but no cracks.

I also just spotted a coolant leak. It's either the short bypass hose between water pump and intake or it's the 90deg heater fitting in the intake. Both look annoying to replace.

From what I understand the rag joint is slightly different on the later models. maybe I'm thinking of 88 and up, I can't remember.

I also just cleaned off the inside of the frame and used the brightest light I had. I don't see any cracks on the frame. I see some scratches in the paint where the box slid down as it was coming out, but no cracks.

I also just spotted a coolant leak. It's either the short bypass hose between water pump and intake or it's the 90deg heater fitting in the intake. Both look annoying to replace.

I'm not sure how they differ.

I do know that the upper joint changed with the body style for '87 but the splines on the rag joint fit '80 & up steering box.

Glad your frame is undamaged. :nabble_smiley_cool:

That's a pain to fix.

I'm not sure about your 351 but if I cut the bypass hose JUST right I can fold it in half and wiggle it on (to my 460)

I'm not sure how they differ.

I do know that the upper joint changed with the body style for '87 but the splines on the rag joint fit '80 & up steering box.

Glad your frame is undamaged. :nabble_smiley_cool:

That's a pain to fix.

I'm not sure about your 351 but if I cut the bypass hose JUST right I can fold it in half and wiggle it on (to my 460)

Mine is a 460 so it's good to know it can be squeezed on.

Do you drain coolant to do it, or does it only lose a little?