Bullnose Forums

1985F20 SuperCab "REDRUM"

CRittaler

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or make a separate post about it, so I'll try here first and fix it later if needed.

I took the F250 on it's first long trip over the holidays. ~500 miles round trip from Marysville WA, to Sooke BC and back. First time visiting the family since the pandemic started.

An addition to this trip was to pick up my 1968 Dodge Dart that had been parked at my moms house since 2013.

The F250 did great! I haven't tuned the carb yet so I managed ~7MPG on the way there with the empty trailer, and surprisingly it did better on the way back, ~8MPG loaded with the Dart.

It started every time, first time. Now that I am back I have noticed a small oil leak and that transfer case seal I just replaced is leaking so I'm wondering if there's a groove on the yoke or something else going on.

Anyways, here's a few pictures.

Post where you want, Chris, and this works well. :nabble_smiley_good:

Congrat's on a successful trip. Glad it went so well. And that's not bad MPG for towing, although I don't know why it got better on the way back. Down hill?

As for the Dart, is that F5 or F8 Green? I think it is F5 but cameras and computer screens change things.

And when I first read your post I read "69 Dart" and was surprised at the round marker lights 'cause I was expecting the rectangular ones like on my Bee. But then I scrolled back and realized I was wrong.

What are the plans for it?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post where you want, Chris, and this works well. :nabble_smiley_good:

Congrat's on a successful trip. Glad it went so well. And that's not bad MPG for towing, although I don't know why it got better on the way back. Down hill?

As for the Dart, is that F5 or F8 Green? I think it is F5 but cameras and computer screens change things.

And when I first read your post I read "69 Dart" and was surprised at the round marker lights 'cause I was expecting the rectangular ones like on my Bee. But then I scrolled back and realized I was wrong.

What are the plans for it?

I have no idea why it got better loaded. The routes were basically the same. The return trip was a bit longer because I took a different border crossing coming back into the US.

I don't know the exact color code. It is a respray that they mixed wrong. The car was originally white and when I bought it ~15 years ago it had been spray bombed navy blue.

The color is supposed to be Dodge Medium Green, but they mixed in too much metallic and it lightened it up.

My intention is to get it up an running again and lower it for cruising. It needs some rust repair after sitting in the elements for so long, there's not much of a floor left on the driver side anymore.

Right now the torsion bars are slack and I like the look so I'm going to get beefier ones and run near the bottom of the adjustment.

I need to swap the rear end as right now it has a 7.25 from a barracuda that has 4.11 gears and that's too short for the 3 speed. The original rear end was a 2.93.

I have no idea why it got better loaded. The routes were basically the same. The return trip was a bit longer because I took a different border crossing coming back into the US.

I don't know the exact color code. It is a respray that they mixed wrong. The car was originally white and when I bought it ~15 years ago it had been spray bombed navy blue.

The color is supposed to be Dodge Medium Green, but they mixed in too much metallic and it lightened it up.

My intention is to get it up an running again and lower it for cruising. It needs some rust repair after sitting in the elements for so long, there's not much of a floor left on the driver side anymore.

Right now the torsion bars are slack and I like the look so I'm going to get beefier ones and run near the bottom of the adjustment.

I need to swap the rear end as right now it has a 7.25 from a barracuda that has 4.11 gears and that's too short for the 3 speed. The original rear end was a 2.93.

Sounds like you have a plan for the Dart. I'll be anxious to see how it goes, so please keep us informed.

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or make a separate post about it, so I'll try here first and fix it later if needed.

I took the F250 on it's first long trip over the holidays. ~500 miles round trip from Marysville WA, to Sooke BC and back. First time visiting the family since the pandemic started.

An addition to this trip was to pick up my 1968 Dodge Dart that had been parked at my moms house since 2013.

The F250 did great! I haven't tuned the carb yet so I managed ~7MPG on the way there with the empty trailer, and surprisingly it did better on the way back, ~8MPG loaded with the Dart.

It started every time, first time. Now that I am back I have noticed a small oil leak and that transfer case seal I just replaced is leaking so I'm wondering if there's a groove on the yoke or something else going on.

Anyways, here's a few pictures.

Nice! Better MPG loaded, best keep it loaded! :nabble_smiley_happy:

The transfer case on my old 86 leaked at the rear yoke. Got that fixed before I sold it.

• 1 month later...

Well I haven't posted in a while, but I've been using the F250 as my daily driver and it has been doing pretty good. I leaned the carb slightly and get a consistent 9MPG. I could probably eek out more with new plugs.

I have noticed that there is an oil leak. I was down a quart after ~1000 miles. Back of the block is wet so I need to have a very close look around to make sure it's not the rear main.

Sometimes the truck will start and idle fine for ~5 minutes and then die. Usually it will restart right away and be fine, other times it will die repeatedly for a while before being fine. This has lead to some interesting traffic situations.

I'm still trying to dig into it and see what's going on. I think it's fuel based on the AFR swinging lean before it quits. I'm either sucking up junk from the tanks or my pump is intermittently losing power. I haven't dug to deep yet.

Well I haven't posted in a while, but I've been using the F250 as my daily driver and it has been doing pretty good. I leaned the carb slightly and get a consistent 9MPG. I could probably eek out more with new plugs.

I have noticed that there is an oil leak. I was down a quart after ~1000 miles. Back of the block is wet so I need to have a very close look around to make sure it's not the rear main.

Sometimes the truck will start and idle fine for ~5 minutes and then die. Usually it will restart right away and be fine, other times it will die repeatedly for a while before being fine. This has lead to some interesting traffic situations.

I'm still trying to dig into it and see what's going on. I think it's fuel based on the AFR swinging lean before it quits. I'm either sucking up junk from the tanks or my pump is intermittently losing power. I haven't dug to deep yet.

Good to hear from you Chris!

Be sure to check the oil pressure sender and the rear china wall of the intake (usual suspects) before you condemn the RMS.

Good to hear from you Chris!

Be sure to check the oil pressure sender and the rear china wall of the intake (usual suspects) before you condemn the RMS.

I plan on it. I need to get up there and see. I installed some extra fittings so that I could have both the dash gauge and an aftermarket gauge.

.... I think it's fuel based on the AFR swinging lean before it quits. I'm either sucking up junk from the tanks or my pump is intermittently losing power. I haven't dug to deep yet.

Does it do it on both tanks?

That's going to point to something common between them (selector? relay? inertia switch?)

A 4180 will idle for a good couple of minutes on a full float bowl. 💡

• 3 months later...

I've been known to wrap a paper towel around the oil pressure fittings to see if that's where the leak is coming from.

Don't really have any pictures right now as the truck has been running fairly well.

I have run into a couple issues where I have been unable to fill the tanks, sometimes the rear wont take gas, sometimes the front wont take gas, I've ordered new fill neck (87+) and will be replacing my hacked up ones.

I also have a theory on why it will die on start sometimes. I'm using an aftermarket fuel pump on the frame rail. What I think is happening is the fuel in the lines between the pump and the tank is siphoning back into the tank, forcing the pump to have to work harder to get fuel to the carb and perhaps the bowl is running dry before the pump has a chance to fill it.

I've noticed the die on start happens more with the rear tank which has a much longer fuel route. What I plan to do (at least temporarily) is add a relay and a momentary push button on the dash so that I can run the currently disconnected in tank pumps as a priming system to feed fuel to the main pump. I will likely also add an anti drainback valve to keep fuel in the line between the frame fuel pump and the carb.

The pump prime will at least make the truck that much harder to steal lol.