Bullnose Forums

Fuel Vapor Separator?

Cbarnes

I've had good luck emailing them rather than calling.

Anyway, we had an A/C drain leak at our church building this morning so I've spent all afternoon vacuuming up water and then troubleshooting to find that the drain pan is rusted through. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Just got home and looked where the separator should be, in the 460 bin, and it wasn't. So I need to do a more thorough search and hope to do that tomorrow.

Left messages in the middle of the day and emailed. No response.

If you find another and have the means, before you toss yours it'd be great if you could cut lengthways down each side and split it in half. I've always been curious to know what's inside beside the screens and a hole of a certain size.

(Meaning, can it survive some time in the oven...)

Oops, wrong thread. To answer your question, great minds think alike. I'm dying to know what's (not) in there that is causing me so much hassle. Will update if I ever get the bloody thing running.

I'm sorry, but I turned the shop upside down today and still haven't found the separator. I will keep looking but doubt I'll find it as I have looked pretty much everywhere.

If it was me I'd put fittings on your separator and then put air pressure in in a reverse fashion. In other words, I'd see if I could blow out whatever is in there. Obviously it isn't something you are going to get to dissolve.

Thanks for looking. Tried blowing out numerous times. Beginning to look like unobtainium. Going to try bypassing with simple fuel line. Reserve tank isn't working anyway.

Thanks for looking. Tried blowing out numerous times. Beginning to look like unobtainium. Going to try bypassing with simple fuel line. Reserve tank isn't working anyway.

What will work is a return-style fuel pressure regulator like this one from Holley. I used the chrome version on Big Blue for several years with no problems.

Because the electric fuel pump is supplying more fuel pressure than needed for the carb it'll return some fuel all the time and therefore you won't have vapor lock.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the drawing board. Mechanic friend (who mostly works on fuel injection engines so not real familiar with carburetor quirks/hacks) bypassed the separator and it appears not enough fuel is getting through as it won't keep running after the brake cleaner in the carb runs out. There's some fuel coming through, but ostensibly not enough for that thirsty 461. Any checklist/tips/advice on how to troubleshoot upstream?

Back to the drawing board. Mechanic friend (who mostly works on fuel injection engines so not real familiar with carburetor quirks/hacks) bypassed the separator and it appears not enough fuel is getting through as it won't keep running after the brake cleaner in the carb runs out. There's some fuel coming through, but ostensibly not enough for that thirsty 461. Any checklist/tips/advice on how to troubleshoot upstream?

I'm not sure you've said what carb you are running, but I wouldn't put brake cleaner in a Holley. My worry is that the power valve won't survive.

Anyway, it sounds as if whatever clogged the fuel vapor separator has also clogged the fuel pump, or at least the sock on the end of the pickup. The old-school trick of blowing the sock off the end of the pickup by placing compressed air in the line coming from the pump would be my next trick. But that was usually done on a system with a mechanical pump and I don't know what it'll do to an electric pump.

Also, you should have a selector valve on the frame below the driver, and it is possible that is part of if not the problem. So I'd pull the fuel supply line going to the selector valve and turn the key on to see what happens. You should get a good supply of fuel, and if so then the selector valve may be the problem.

I'm not sure you've said what carb you are running, but I wouldn't put brake cleaner in a Holley. My worry is that the power valve won't survive.

Anyway, it sounds as if whatever clogged the fuel vapor separator has also clogged the fuel pump, or at least the sock on the end of the pickup. The old-school trick of blowing the sock off the end of the pickup by placing compressed air in the line coming from the pump would be my next trick. But that was usually done on a system with a mechanical pump and I don't know what it'll do to an electric pump.

Also, you should have a selector valve on the frame below the driver, and it is possible that is part of if not the problem. So I'd pull the fuel supply line going to the selector valve and turn the key on to see what happens. You should get a good supply of fuel, and if so then the selector valve may be the problem.

The in-tank pumps are centrifugal so carefully blowing back through it should be possible. The other possible problem with these is the 6 port motor operated selector valve next to the front tank. If it is not moving into position completely it may be causing a problem.

Pressure spec is 5-7 psi. I thought I had the flow rate also, but can't find it right now, it is probably only in the service manual.

The in-tank pumps are centrifugal so carefully blowing back through it should be possible. The other possible problem with these is the 6 port motor operated selector valve next to the front tank. If it is not moving into position completely it may be causing a problem.

Pressure spec is 5-7 psi. I thought I had the flow rate also, but can't find it right now, it is probably only in the service manual.

I posted the volume in another thread. It is a quart in 15 seconds {or 60 gph)

Gary has it in the documentation

Right column, page 37 of TSB 84-24-14 found here: https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/460-fuel-systems.html

Screenshot_2023-07-06-17-08-24-309.thumb.jpeg.071f9cbfb3ed131d6ae45881098ff921.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...