Bullnose Forums

Headlamp "door" coloring

Hi All,

If I wanted to be a stickler for originality, has would i know what color/part number my headlamp doors were (originally). Black on the headlamp doors could have faded to grey albeit unlikely since the grille is still black. If I understand the chart (pic), i'm either the 1st or 6th row for an 1981 with black grill?

headlamp_table.png.9e30e1230ff6e35c42ef5ac16d5f2fc0.png

I'm not sure if i'd like black, but I can't rationalize it since the grille is black. What do others have?

This was one of the first things I did to my truck - black rustoleum plastic spray paint. Careful masking yields very rewarding result. It's been a few seasons and no issues with fading or chipping. Make sure to also mask and blackout the trailing edge where it meats up with the hood seam for both the buckets and the grill molding. Blackout screws as well.

truckstreet.thumb.jpg.62e021897cc7bb8b16ce309338df37a7.jpg

If your signature is correct and you have a 1981 Ranger XLT, it would not have had a black grille originally. The Ranger XLT trim would have had a chrome grille, and the headlight doors would have been chrome trimmed with Argent paint.

The black grille would have only been available on the "Freewheeling" model for 1981. And the headlight doors for that grille (and the standard painted Argent grille) would have been chrome trimmed with black paint.

If your signature is correct and you have a 1981 Ranger XLT, it would not have had a black grille originally. The Ranger XLT trim would have had a chrome grille, and the headlight doors would have been chrome trimmed with Argent paint.

The black grille would have only been available on the "Freewheeling" model for 1981. And the headlight doors for that grille (and the standard painted Argent grille) would have been chrome trimmed with black paint.

Hmmmm well I looked up the freewheeling package "A", and I have most of those things. Still unsure of what the sport wheel thing is - at first I thought it was the wrapped steering wheel (which i have) but it is more likely something to do with the 4 wheels now that I think about it (times like this and a Marti Report would come in handy). The PO "upgraded" to hideous rims so I dont know what was original for wheels other than they were 16.5inch. It's like peeling away the layers of an onion haha.

Hmmmm well I looked up the freewheeling package "A", and I have most of those things. Still unsure of what the sport wheel thing is - at first I thought it was the wrapped steering wheel (which i have) but it is more likely something to do with the 4 wheels now that I think about it (times like this and a Marti Report would come in handy). The PO "upgraded" to hideous rims so I dont know what was original for wheels other than they were 16.5inch. It's like peeling away the layers of an onion haha.

Dont know if it is right for my 81 Custom or the 81 Ranger but I did my doors & grille in dark cast iron

20191023_155254.jpg.5cffc04e217c2573988fc3699fc66922.jpg

To me it looks like the Argent grille color.

Dave ----

Dont know if it is right for my 81 Custom or the 81 Ranger but I did my doors & grille in dark cast iron

To me it looks like the Argent grille color.

Dave ----

I'm impressed with how simply painting them looks so good! I might try that instead!

Plus, i thought i found a company that had a bunch of hard to find parts, but when I called them, not only do they carry new and NOS without the user knowing via the website (not super helpful), it also lets you add parts to your cart that they may no longer have :nabble_anim_confused:.

I'm impressed with how simply painting them looks so good! I might try that instead!

Plus, i thought i found a company that had a bunch of hard to find parts, but when I called them, not only do they carry new and NOS without the user knowing via the website (not super helpful), it also lets you add parts to your cart that they may no longer have :nabble_anim_confused:.

My truck came with headlamp doors that were dark charcoal gray, I think. My grill however, was argent/chrome. I much prefer the black in the doors and a black/chrome grill.

Specialty_Plate.thumb.jpg.744314f4b0a24bf23965e69c0ffd4425.jpg

My truck came with headlamp doors that were dark charcoal gray, I think. My grill however, was argent/chrome. I much prefer the black in the doors and a black/chrome grill.

Painted mine black, was argent previously. Just needed brightening up a bit. I like it.

Before

20211118_143322.jpg.6a09c74b3732769a07541b4a701771f0.jpg

After

20211119_103130.jpg.0fc6e503fa21abbea72662345fff9eb5.jpg