Bullnose Forums

Soon to be Bullnose Owner

chirkware

It’s taken way longer than I hoped, but sounds like we’ll have the transmission back from the shop in the next few days.

Doing some reading…I came across a discussion of replacing the rear main seal, and the need to pull the transmission or engine to do that. Since the transmission is out, we’re gonna plan to do that before it goes back in since the hard part is already done.

Any thing else a guy outta just do while the transmission is out anyway? 4wd with a 351w and a C6.

Replacing the rear main is not an easy task in the vehicle, even with the tranny out. One guy said "If I ever think about doing that again with the engine in the vehicle I'll pour gasoline on it and set it on fire!"

I've actually done it, and I'll not do it again in the vehicle. Instead I'll pull the engine, and since you are already part way there that would be my recommendation to you - assuming the rear main needs to be replaced. But if it isn't leaking, or isn't leaking quite a bit, I'd leave it alone.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Replacing the rear main is not an easy task in the vehicle, even with the tranny out. One guy said "If I ever think about doing that again with the engine in the vehicle I'll pour gasoline on it and set it on fire!"

I've actually done it, and I'll not do it again in the vehicle. Instead I'll pull the engine, and since you are already part way there that would be my recommendation to you - assuming the rear main needs to be replaced. But if it isn't leaking, or isn't leaking quite a bit, I'd leave it alone.

truly let need make up your mind. pull the flexplate and look closely. even take as good of a picture as possible before you touch anything and before you clean anything. I will go ahead and say that a leaking rear main is a sign of future issues. age is certainly one of the factors and if it is age then one of the seal conditioner products may be a better option. I don't want to be a damper at all. however, there are a few things to consider. number one is whether or not you are comfortable doing this. if you score the crank surface you will need a repair sleeve (which if you have a groove worn into the surface you will need to sleeve it as well). another consideration is the engines mileage. whether you are intending a rebuild in the near future or not. etc.

• 5 months later...

truly let need make up your mind. pull the flexplate and look closely. even take as good of a picture as possible before you touch anything and before you clean anything. I will go ahead and say that a leaking rear main is a sign of future issues. age is certainly one of the factors and if it is age then one of the seal conditioner products may be a better option. I don't want to be a damper at all. however, there are a few things to consider. number one is whether or not you are comfortable doing this. if you score the crank surface you will need a repair sleeve (which if you have a groove worn into the surface you will need to sleeve it as well). another consideration is the engines mileage. whether you are intending a rebuild in the near future or not. etc.

Well after a Covid supply chain delay order of magnitude wait...

"Larry the Lariat" is finally at my house.

I hope to get it running off a bottle over the weekend (been amor there years since it "ran when parked") and then I'll go through the fuel system to see what it's gonna need. I'm assuming I'll probably end up needing to replace the tank since it has sat for years.

It has a freshly built C6 now, which was the delay as it was a "when you have a chance" kind of a job being done as a favor/cheap.

I imagine I can talk my son into giving it a good pressure washing. He usually enjoys doing that.

EB8AA8A6-3081-4D70-B5A4-71CED0388985.jpeg.60391a475c1b8169106ee019aa275811.jpeg

Well after a Covid supply chain delay order of magnitude wait...

"Larry the Lariat" is finally at my house.

I hope to get it running off a bottle over the weekend (been amor there years since it "ran when parked") and then I'll go through the fuel system to see what it's gonna need. I'm assuming I'll probably end up needing to replace the tank since it has sat for years.

It has a freshly built C6 now, which was the delay as it was a "when you have a chance" kind of a job being done as a favor/cheap.

I imagine I can talk my son into giving it a good pressure washing. He usually enjoys doing that.

Glad you finally got it home, and that the tranny was rebuilt. Hopefully it will start up easily.