Bullnose Forums

Soon to be Bullnose Owner

chirkware

Congratulations! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the hood, have you released the second latch? It is with your left hand. And if so, have you tried pushing down slightly on the hood as you release the second one?

And yes, I think those are factory wheels. I have a set on Dad's truck.

So I found this video of a tour of an 82 F100, and this link should take you to the point where they pop the hood:

Thing is, when I pull the release in the cab, the hood does not pop up like that at all. In fact, it doesn't appear anything happens, so I'm thinking maybe that release mechanism is jammed. I can't even reach my hand into the area under the hood where the handle in the video is. It did work recently. The only thing I can put my hand on is the "box" that can be reached with my right hand through the grill, but I'm thinking that's just the other end of the mechanism that is activated from inside the cab.

Any differences in an 86 hood release, or is it the same as in this video?

I would try pushing down on the hood then pulling the handle again, if it opens lube the latch.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a really “professional” exhaust repair already. 😂

Good point. You're right. A real professional wouldn't have mixed aluminum with steel cuz they don't like each other.

re Stereo:

Back in the day, there was a battle between aftermarket stereo installers and the dealers. I don't remember the details but it ended up something like the new card dealers couldn't force the buyer to buy their stereo system.

Our '85 came with the entry-level AM/FM radio and we replaced with the top-of-the-line Pioneer system with the then popular CD. One of the local car clubs requires the vehicle to be "original" and this qualifies due to it being the same model year.

By the way, the '85 (and '86) in Washington qualifies for classic car plates which is a one-time registration (rules in your state may vary). The rules are that it isn't to be used as a daily driver, but on the other hand, one needs to keep the battery charged and the tires not to have flat spots, so how one does this, as they say, "one's mileage may vary." One other onerous rule is that one can't carry anything in the bed (but then there is nighttime and peak hour traffic).

We've got the original license plates from when it was new, but it is possible to find vintage plates for sale on-line.

P.S. Welcome Aboard!

• 2 weeks later...

Found a really “professional” exhaust repair already. 😂

Good point. You're right. A real professional wouldn't have mixed aluminum with steel cuz they don't like each other.

re Stereo:

Back in the day, there was a battle between aftermarket stereo installers and the dealers. I don't remember the details but it ended up something like the new card dealers couldn't force the buyer to buy their stereo system.

Our '85 came with the entry-level AM/FM radio and we replaced with the top-of-the-line Pioneer system with the then popular CD. One of the local car clubs requires the vehicle to be "original" and this qualifies due to it being the same model year.

By the way, the '85 (and '86) in Washington qualifies for classic car plates which is a one-time registration (rules in your state may vary). The rules are that it isn't to be used as a daily driver, but on the other hand, one needs to keep the battery charged and the tires not to have flat spots, so how one does this, as they say, "one's mileage may vary." One other onerous rule is that one can't carry anything in the bed (but then there is nighttime and peak hour traffic).

We've got the original license plates from when it was new, but it is possible to find vintage plates for sale on-line.

P.S. Welcome Aboard!

Thanks for the tips! Got the hood open today by having my son pull the release while I pushed down on the hood. Popped right up after that. Lubed the release mechanism so it hopefully won't stick again.

49350507-1B2B-4181-8C13-68CEF43826F6.jpeg.31044dfff77cbb1900dbb027dcccadf2.jpeg

5E9FE076-E4D6-4308-A441-F03D6457DD87.jpeg.ebc32ca6e11bc92ace6de8e3c54a7710.jpeg

I think Ole Blue was a little jealous of the attention I was giving to another truck. 😆

BA380FB9-E14F-4C30-9198-A12AC28D9FD5.jpeg.1000fbd959e02bf0291f52bad670a417.jpeg

Thanks for the tips! Got the hood open today by having my son pull the release while I pushed down on the hood. Popped right up after that. Lubed the release mechanism so it hopefully won't stick again.

I think Ole Blue was a little jealous of the attention I was giving to another truck. 😆

Glad you got it open. But you may find that you have to adjust it up a bit if the lube doesn't let it pop open when you pull the handle. Sometimes if the adjustment is too tight it won't release.

Glad you got it open. But you may find that you have to adjust it up a bit if the lube doesn't let it pop open when you pull the handle. Sometimes if the adjustment is too tight it won't release.

I had my son pop it after I lubed it, and I used a screwdriver to simulate the hood closing. Repeated several times and added a bit more lube (ok, type F transmission fluid since it was handy, 😆 ). Gave it a try for real a time or two afterwards and it seems pretty smooth now. Lubed the hood hinges for good measure.

Now that I got a good look at the belts and hoses I know what I need to buy.

Either this top rad hose dates to 1986, or it was serviced with genuine parts...

109B15B0-1715-4153-9C71-B7DDFD6BC5B6.jpeg.daeaa7766ad98ecc85d496b0ebff5adb.jpeg

I had my son pop it after I lubed it, and I used a screwdriver to simulate the hood closing. Repeated several times and added a bit more lube (ok, type F transmission fluid since it was handy, 😆 ). Gave it a try for real a time or two afterwards and it seems pretty smooth now. Lubed the hood hinges for good measure.

Now that I got a good look at the belts and hoses I know what I need to buy.

Either this top rad hose dates to 1986, or it was serviced with genuine parts...

The hose looks old, so I think I'd replace it.

• 1 month later...

The hose looks old, so I think I'd replace it.

Still waiting to bring this truck home.

Transmission got pulled a couple Saturdays ago so we are waiting on the transmission guy to get to it.

I need to drain the old gas out of the tank (single tank, “midship” I guess). Any tips on an easy way to drain that tank? I think on my bump I was able to just disconnect a hose and gravity did the rest. I haven’t crawled up under it to examine the fuel system too close since laying on gravel doesn’t feel good. lol. I need to take some cardboard with me next time.

Still waiting to bring this truck home.

Transmission got pulled a couple Saturdays ago so we are waiting on the transmission guy to get to it.

I need to drain the old gas out of the tank (single tank, “midship” I guess). Any tips on an easy way to drain that tank? I think on my bump I was able to just disconnect a hose and gravity did the rest. I haven’t crawled up under it to examine the fuel system too close since laying on gravel doesn’t feel good. lol. I need to take some cardboard with me next time.

You’ll need enough hose to get below tank level, so the best place to pull the hose would be at the fuel pump.

Hope that works for you. But a rusty tank is a huge pain, so my recommendation would be to drain the gas to make dropping the tank easier and then drop and replace the tank.

You’ll need enough hose to get below tank level, so the best place to pull the hose would be at the fuel pump.

Hope that works for you. But a rusty tank is a huge pain, so my recommendation would be to drain the gas to make dropping the tank easier and then drop and replace the tank.

Thanks Gary! I need to go drain it and drop it so I can see what condition it is in. Thankfully it doesn’t look like they are too expensive.