Bullnose Forums

Soon to be Bullnose Owner

chirkware

Thanks Gary! I need to go drain it and drop it so I can see what condition it is in. Thankfully it doesn’t look like they are too expensive.

On the tank if you are going to look inside you need to look at the top of the tank besides the bottom.

My 2 tanks looked good through the sender holes but once I got the truck on the road I needed to pull the top off the carb and it had really fine rust in the bottom.

It made it pass 2 filters and 1 was pretty packed with rust and cant believe it let fuel through.

Thing is I dont know what tank has the rust and I dont want to replace both not so much the $$$ but it being a pain as it not so easy to remove the bed.

Dave ----

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the tank if you are going to look inside you need to look at the top of the tank besides the bottom.

My 2 tanks looked good through the sender holes but once I got the truck on the road I needed to pull the top off the carb and it had really fine rust in the bottom.

It made it pass 2 filters and 1 was pretty packed with rust and cant believe it let fuel through.

Thing is I dont know what tank has the rust and I dont want to replace both not so much the $$$ but it being a pain as it not so easy to remove the bed.

Dave ----

the tanks do come out the bottom

I know as I had to drop the rear one because the float on the new sender took on gas and stopped working.

I also did not want to undo the filler necks because I have the air vents working great for fill ups, no kick back / off when filling on the fast setting.

I also dont have a lift so it's all on my back under the truck.

The only thing nice having 2 tanks you can run 1 out of gas before dropping it :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dave ----

I know as I had to drop the rear one because the float on the new sender took on gas and stopped working.

I also did not want to undo the filler necks because I have the air vents working great for fill ups, no kick back / off when filling on the fast setting.

I also dont have a lift so it's all on my back under the truck.

The only thing nice having 2 tanks you can run 1 out of gas before dropping it :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dave ----

all true. I am currently in the same situation. two new pumps in my 86 and neither one wants to read correctly. very aggravating. the rear i filled up to verify and it did Not read full. until a mile later it seemed to read full then by the time, I had driven only 30 miles it was back to only a needle width above empty. I have ohmed and checked all i can think of and even grounded the wire and the gauge goes exactly as it should. all other gauges work correctly too. this truck has been a long-term build so I'm certain they are out of warranty even though they have only 50 miles on them.

all true. I am currently in the same situation. two new pumps in my 86 and neither one wants to read correctly. very aggravating. the rear i filled up to verify and it did Not read full. until a mile later it seemed to read full then by the time, I had driven only 30 miles it was back to only a needle width above empty. I have ohmed and checked all i can think of and even grounded the wire and the gauge goes exactly as it should. all other gauges work correctly too. this truck has been a long-term build so I'm certain they are out of warranty even though they have only 50 miles on them.

I hope I won't end up needing to pull the bed on this truck, but it wouldn't be my first time...

bed removal is no mystery. it's just involved and bulky. and it is made more finicky with everything having new paint

This is mostly just for my documentation…went by and measured…wheels are 8.5”, in spec for 235/75-r15.

:nabble_smiley_whistling:

Also gas tank is ~56” long, so it’s the 19 gallon tank if a replacement is needed. Looks like I can disconnect rubber line going to fuel pump to drain the tank.

This is mostly just for my documentation…went by and measured…wheels are 8.5”, in spec for 235/75-r15.

:nabble_smiley_whistling:

Also gas tank is ~56” long, so it’s the 19 gallon tank if a replacement is needed. Looks like I can disconnect rubber line going to fuel pump to drain the tank.

I like to document things here as well. Much easier to find than my note pad. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 1 month later...

I like to document things here as well. Much easier to find than my note pad. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yep, I posted that while I was still there before I had a chance to forget.

It’s taken way longer than I hoped, but sounds like we’ll have the transmission back from the shop in the next few days.

Doing some reading…I came across a discussion of replacing the rear main seal, and the need to pull the transmission or engine to do that. Since the transmission is out, we’re gonna plan to do that before it goes back in since the hard part is already done.

Any thing else a guy outta just do while the transmission is out anyway? 4wd with a 351w and a C6.