Bullnose Forums

Soon to be Bullnose Owner

chirkware

I joined the forum as I'm hoping to pick up this 84 (EDIT…correction, 1986) F-150 4x4 soon as a project. Hoping to eventually be able to daily drive it (I've just got a 2.5 mile commute, so gas mileage isn't a concern). I'm not new to Ford trucks, as I grew up with a 70 Bumpside that my dad bought new (been mine since 99), but this will be my first Bullnose, and my first Ford 4x4 (I've missed having a 4x4 since wrecking my Nissan Hardbody a couple years back).

The truck has a 351W and automatic transmission (C6?). Current owner is a mechanic who I've recently gotten to know pretty well (he runs a shop that specializes in classic car restorations). He bought it 10 years or more ago as a project and just hasn't gotten to it as customer projects are his priority.

Truck was driven to the spot it sits about three years ago, and the transmission was going out, so he's gonna pull it and have his guy rebuild it for me. Beyond that, I plan to pull all the plugs and let the cylinders soak in some Marvel Mystery Oil before trying to crank it. I know the brakes will need to be gone over.

Before I commit, I'm gonna crawl up under it and get a good look at the frame and the condition of the bed (it has a drop in bed liner unfortunately, so that's a concern). I know the drivers side rocker panel has some rust, and it looks like the bottom of the passenger door does as well.

Looks to have 10" wheels right now. I'll probably try to find some good OEM 7" alloy wheels (not sure if Bullnose trucks had those, or just the later OBS trucks), and go back to 235/75-R15 tires since I'll use it on the road mostly. My desire for a 4x4 is to work, not play, so mud tires aren't something I care about. I'm sure the rubber is pretty rotten anyway.

IMG_4849.jpg.305433257b96eb42b07fd62914d68fd2.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome! Nice truck. Should be a good project. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good plan on the tranny, which should be a C6 as Ford didn't put the AOD behind the 351W. And soaking the cylinders is good as well.

I think an '84 will still have rubber fuel lines, so check them over. The rubber used then doesn't like ethanol and the lines go bad and leak, which kills the ability to pump fuel some times. And don't miss that there are hoses from the tank to the hard lines.

Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or a zip.

Welcome! Nice truck. Should be a good project. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good plan on the tranny, which should be a C6 as Ford didn't put the AOD behind the 351W. And soaking the cylinders is good as well.

I think an '84 will still have rubber fuel lines, so check them over. The rubber used then doesn't like ethanol and the lines go bad and leak, which kills the ability to pump fuel some times. And don't miss that there are hoses from the tank to the hard lines.

Where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or a zip.

Thanks!

Yes, I'll definitely replace any rubber I can on the truck, especially fuel and brake hoses. I'll probably run 100% gas as much as possible in the truck since it has a carb (I try to avoid ethanol in all things with carbs). Thankfully, there are two stations between my office and my house that sell non-ethanol fuel, so it's easy to find around here and usually runs about 50 cents extra over 87.

Out of curiosity...is there an automatic with overdrive that would work behind the 351W on a 4x4 without a lot of mods? I don't have a lot of highway plans for the truck, but it might be worth a swap if it's not overly complicated since the tranny has to be rebuilt anyway.

I'll be looking to order stuff to rebuild brakes soon too...I was looking on Rock Auto, and was surprised not to see 2wd vs 4wd on the brake stuff. I would have assumed the shoes/drums and pads/calipers were different for a 4x4, but maybe not?

EDIT: Location = Lenoir City, Tennessee, 37772. :)

Thanks!

Yes, I'll definitely replace any rubber I can on the truck, especially fuel and brake hoses. I'll probably run 100% gas as much as possible in the truck since it has a carb (I try to avoid ethanol in all things with carbs). Thankfully, there are two stations between my office and my house that sell non-ethanol fuel, so it's easy to find around here and usually runs about 50 cents extra over 87.

Out of curiosity...is there an automatic with overdrive that would work behind the 351W on a 4x4 without a lot of mods? I don't have a lot of highway plans for the truck, but it might be worth a swap if it's not overly complicated since the tranny has to be rebuilt anyway.

I'll be looking to order stuff to rebuild brakes soon too...I was looking on Rock Auto, and was surprised not to see 2wd vs 4wd on the brake stuff. I would have assumed the shoes/drums and pads/calipers were different for a 4x4, but maybe not?

First, you are now on the map. :nabble_smiley_good:

Second, you can confirm the brakes from our page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes. But I do think 2wd and 4wd take the same parts, although I'm not sure of that.

And you are wise to use ethanol-free gas when you can.

Thanks!

You have the same drivetrain as me......351W, C6 Auto Trans, 4x4.... I don't believe there is an inexpensive option for moving into an overdrive transmission in our trucks. I looked into it sometime back and it was more money and work than I wanted to mess with. Frankly, you'd probably be better going with a stick, but there would still be substantial costs there as well.

Welcome to the site!

You have the same drivetrain as me......351W, C6 Auto Trans, 4x4.... I don't believe there is an inexpensive option for moving into an overdrive transmission in our trucks. I looked into it sometime back and it was more money and work than I wanted to mess with. Frankly, you'd probably be better going with a stick, but there would still be substantial costs there as well.

Welcome to the site!

On drum brakes most if not all stores will ask for the size: Dia. by how wide the shoes are.

Front pads you may not have but 1 to pick from on a 4x4 but I am not sure as I dont have a 4x4.

I can tell you on the 4x2 F100 trucks of the same year (1981) and even the same GVW (4700) can have 2 different drum brake sizes and 2 different pad / caliper sizes and to top it off 2 different wheel bolt patterns!

Dave ----

Welcome to the site!

Thanks! Probably best I not start planning modifications before I even get the truck, so I think I'll just be happy with the C6. I really doubt I'll ever be going faster than 65-70 in it, and probably usually 45 or less given where I drive.

I'm curious...how's the gas mileage on yours? My old Nissan Hardbody 4x4, believe it or not, only got about 12-15 and it was a 4 banger, so I don't expect much given this is much bigger and, I expect, heavier.

• 2 weeks later...

On drum brakes most if not all stores will ask for the size: Dia. by how wide the shoes are.

Front pads you may not have but 1 to pick from on a 4x4 but I am not sure as I dont have a 4x4.

I can tell you on the 4x2 F100 trucks of the same year (1981) and even the same GVW (4700) can have 2 different drum brake sizes and 2 different pad / caliper sizes and to top it off 2 different wheel bolt patterns!

Dave ----

Well I have to correct myself…it’s an 86, not an 84.

That explains the 351w…when I was previously looking at the VIN decoding info, it didn’t show a 351w in 1984.

VIN decoder says it would be EFI, but it now has a Holly four barrel.

C885E86E-2758-415D-8F9C-B51B4ED90409.jpeg.31d7d6b6db5d288f31b84b6903239f73.jpeg